Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Using the K-1 as a "slide digitizer"

Haven't heard anyone mention this capability, one that I've been longing for since the *istDs. The K-1 being full-frame, I can now use my bellows system to duplicate slides, the whole slide, not just a crop out of the center. I'm jazzed! Now, I need to practice to figure out the best procedure and lens to use. These two were just from a quick test. Using my original Pentax M 50/1.7 lens and the Vivitar bellows system, (from back in the day when Vivitar made really good stuff).

Originally taken in 1980 and probably 1983 or 1984 with my MX and probably the M50/1.7 and most likely Kodachrome 25 or Ektachrome 100 , (about all I shot unless I was using Tri-X 400).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-05-2016, 08:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixel shift can potentially be really good for this application. Also, stop down a bit to make sure those corners look good. Once you get everything aligned and focused perfectly, I'm sure you'll get fantastic results.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-05-2016, 11:56 PM   #3
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Using the K-1 as a "slide digitizer"

Wonderful application of " new " meets " old."
07-06-2016, 03:32 AM   #4
Unregistered User

I use pixel shift when using my duplicator. Not the fastest route to take but the result is worth it.

07-06-2016, 04:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion about using pixel shifting. Hadn't thought about that. I'll have to read up on that feature.
07-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Just in case anyone is interested, the m42 Auto Bellows does NOT fit the K-1, as there is not enough clearance below the mount to attach it with the m42 to K adapter.

Thought this would be a good place to let everyone know...
If you put an extentiontube first, then you will be able to fit it?
07-06-2016, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ironic: the M50 f1.7 took both the film original and 30+ years later converted it to digital. Oh the durability and versatility of Pentax optics!

07-07-2016, 02:22 AM   #8

I've done this with a K20D. Your K-1 will have much better dynamic range, which will be great for scanning slides.

I used a D-FA100 macro without bellows or tubes. The flat field can be useful for copy work. As is said above, stop down a bit.

It can be useful to create a mask with an opening for light to go through the slide. This keeps stray light from going around the slide and into the lens. I also put a tiny shelf below the opening to hold the slide in position while the board is almost vertical. Very quick to change and position slides. Use the camera on a tripod with the 2-second timer.

For a light source, a flash reflected against a pure white board may be better than a light table whose bulbs are of questionable color rendition.

For scanning print film, I used a dark blue filter in front of the lens to cancel much of the orange mask, hopefully reducing the dynamic range. You can try it both ways and see what works.

Every generation of new camera tempts me to get one just to re-scan old slides. Our K20D has gone missing recently, leaving a K10D and two istDs cameras, so perhaps it's almost time...!
07-07-2016, 03:00 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax also offers a dedicated film duplicator both for K cameras and for the 645Z. Only sold in Japan, though, and not cheap.

Pentax Film Duplicator Overview - CP+ 2014 | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-07-2016, 03:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What does not cheap mean?
And how does the result compare to a dedicated film scanner?
07-07-2016, 03:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
What does not cheap mean?
Equivalent of almost $1200. OUCH!
07-07-2016, 04:25 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A friend of mine set up a rig using a cheap copy stand and an old Canon DSLR with a 6 megapixel sensor and a macro lens. He had a local machine shop fabricate film and transparency holders to speed up the process. He does not have a lot of money into it either. Under $1,000. He tethered it to Lightroom and is digitizing his entire families photo archives. Close to 100,000 images. This includes, prints, negatives and transparencies. He has built custom correction curves for the various brands of color negative films used over the years. This goes back a few generation and his whole family was/is photo nuts. Once he gets it up and running he can easily do a couple of hundred images and hour. That include image capture, processing and storage in the appropriate folders. From this he is making DVD's. Amazing to watch once he gets it going. Keeps him busy when the weather is lousy.

He is a Nikon user with a very nice setup too. He got the old Canon for it's tethering capabilities and 6 megapixels seems to be working fine for what he needs to have done. I wish I was that clever.
07-07-2016, 05:34 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just as there's always someone on the road who wants to drive faster, there's always someone who seems more clever than you. The irony? There are probably many who think you are the one who is more clever.
07-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #14
MK1
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax also offers a dedicated film duplicator both for K cameras and for the 645Z. Only sold in Japan, though, and not cheap.

Pentax Film Duplicator Overview - CP+ 2014 | PentaxForums.com
It's for sale on the Ricoh UK site. A mere £800.
PENTAX Film Duplicator (with Mount Holder 24x36) - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
07-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

FWIW, there is a group of users on this site that have been digitizing 35mm slides and negatives using APS-C dSLRs using a variety of setups. As noted above, a bellows with slide copier is an obvious solution, though physical clearance with modern cameras can be an issue. Points of interference include:
  • Rear standard clearance of pentaprism housing
  • Rear standard base clearance to camera body (most dSLRs extend further down below the mount than film cameras)
  • Bellows rail clearance to camera body
Adding a short extension tube to provide clearance may cause problems when using a slide duplicator bellows attachment. Whether that is the case depends on available rail length and the bellows design.

Steve