Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K1 Suddenly Just Goes Blank

I am sure there is a button and a reason, but I will be working along and suddenly the camera just goes blank and nothing works. I have to turn the camera off and back on to keep going on what I am doing. What is this and how can I prevent it? Please.

07-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear this; have you tried a different battery; or charged this one?
07-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelErlewine Quote
I am sure there is a button and a reason, but I will be working along and suddenly the camera just goes blank and nothing works. I have to turn the camera off and back on to keep going on what I am doing. What is this and how can I prevent it? Please.
Please forgive me if this is an insultingly basic question - it is not intended to be so.
When you say it goes blank, and you have to turn it off and on, have you tried pressing the shutter down halfway or more? I ask because the camera has a sleep timer that puts it to sleep to conserve power. Again - sorry if that is not what is going on.
07-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelErlewine Quote
What is this and how can I prevent it? Please.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
When you say it goes blank, and you have to turn it off and on, have you tried pressing the shutter down halfway or more? I ask because the camera has a sleep timer that puts it to sleep to conserve power.
Assuming our dear Uncle Vanya is correct, you can set "Auto Power Off" to a longer value (default is one minute) or completely off using the Set-up (wrench) menu #2.

That being said, normally a half-press of the shutter button will wake the camera up. Having to power-cycle is not the norm. I seem to remember a few similar reports, but can't say for sure. Perhaps @Adam will weigh in since he is sort of keeping track of this sort of thing.

Steve

07-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Assuming it's not just auto off, could there be an electrical issue related to the lens mount, or low battery voltage? What lens were you using?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-07-2016, 05:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I see this behavior sometimes even with the older bodies. K-5ii and K-01 that is. I turn it back on and it turns back on but then shows the battery is depleted from 50% to near 0 and barely starts up to allow me to see the empty battery icon. If it turns back on then it is most likely a bad battery. Some non-branded batteries have poor cells in them and they just do not hold up well after 50% charge and depletes so rapidly that the camera shuts off abruptly making you think "what just happened...".
It may not be your case though but it may very well be.

If it is an electrical issue then it should happen consistently and should be reproducible.