Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone know what the acronym 'VR' stands for on a K-1?

Inquiring minds want to know.

In response to my request, DPR says they did the bicycle test again in triplicate with 'VR on and VR off' with largely the same result.

What is VR?

07-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Inquiring minds want to know.

In response to my request, DPR says they did the bicycle test again in triplicate with 'VR on and VR off' with largely the same result.

What is VR?
Vibration Reduction, aka Nikon's in-lens stabilization.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-07-2016, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

It is all about the same thing, different terminology. Pentax uses Shake Reduction (SR), Nikon uses Vibration Reduction (VR), Canon uses Image Stabilisation (IS)... be nice if they all use the same terminology... but then, it would be too boring, I guess.
07-07-2016, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Once again, highlighting how DPR have become very Nikon-centric. They can't see anything but Nikon when they hold camera.

07-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Vibration Reduction, aka Nikon's in-lens stabilization.
Interesting Freudian slip. I should let it go, but it lends some credence to my belief the AF portion of the DPR K-1 review suffers from Confirmation Bias.
07-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As I said in the comments on the K-1 at DPR, 'If only it had a Nikon badge....'.
07-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Once again, highlighting how DPR have become very Nikon-centric. They can't see anything but Nikon when they hold camera.
Yeah, that was my point. I'm just not going back there. Pentax is flyover country.

07-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, that was my point. I'm just not going back there. Pentax is flyover country.
? DPR is flyover country as in nothing to see there?
Or Pentax is flyover country to DPR
07-07-2016, 05:30 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
? DPR is flyover country as in nothing to see there?
Or Pentax is flyover country to DPR
Flyover Country is that part of the United States you fly over when traveling between the east and west coasts. As such, you know it is there, but it is beneath you, you don't know much about it, you never interact with it - and what the people there think and do is a matter for pity and benign paternalism.

So DPR thinks of Pentax and Pentax users as Flyover Country.
07-09-2016, 06:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

... and what the people there think and do [really goes on in there] is a matter for pity and benign maternalism.

Alright.. so a bit like bathrooms and laundry rooms for a group of college guys living together... and maybe they are lucky enough to have a girlfriend to give them a hand from time to time... ?
07-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Alright.. so a bit like bathrooms and laundry rooms for a group of college guys living together... and maybe they are lucky enough to have a girlfriend to give them a hand from time to time... ?
So your analogy is 80% of the land mass of the continental United States is the bathroom and the cool, cool kiddies* walk past it on the way from the bedroom to the beer 'fridge?

I meant think for themselves and do for themselves.

DPR: Anyone who would choose a Pentax isn't educated enough to buy the right camera. We're here to help them.

* Full disclosure : I was a D-1 college student-athlete and fraternity brother, and lived in an apartment with two other like-minded 'guys'. We dated nice young ladies from another nearby college. Dishes in the sink, dirty athletic socks on the floor or a mildewed shower stall were . . . really bad form.

One daughter lives in New York City and works in network news. Another lives near Washington, D.C. and works in university academia. They neither think nor act in lock-step with their peers.

Such deviations from expectation are dismissed by superiors as unfortunate outliers.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-09-2016 at 11:36 AM.
07-10-2016, 05:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

DPR: Anyone who would choose a Pentax isn't educated enough to buy the right camera. We're here to help them. ...
So, DPR is... 'from corporate' :^|
07-10-2016, 06:43 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, DPR is... 'from corporate' :^|
It feels to me like a narcissistic, paternalistic attitude held by the reviewers. There's a Ph.D. writing camera reviews who appends his title to his reviews!!

It seems they feel credentials trump consumer experience, and they're there to 'correct' consumers' misapprehended preferences for inferior products. How dare we question their tests and conclusions? How dare we presume a consumer might use technique to overcome a shortcoming of the K-1?

DPR is protecting the (in their view) woefully ill-equipped consumer from making a bad choice of camera gear. They're 'nudging' them to make a better choice. They're 'helping' the Flyover people make good choices.

Whatever. This has become piling on. I've had my say and and exchanged rational, sober public and private messages with two of the three reviewers. They're convinced their process is correct and their conclusions are valid, they've responded to some of my suggestions, but they're not going to restructure and redo nor even explain the test - because one of them has a Ph.D. and I don't.

And apparently the unhelpful Kindle snark stays in, for whatever reason. Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-10-2016 at 07:38 AM.