Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
There's nothing stopping you from making a new account:
They probably track your source IP.... unless, of course, you change Internet service provider....

07-08-2016, 08:28 AM   #47
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
I tried the same I want the distances for the first and the last photo, to calculate DOF. I ddn't get an answer

I've proven that Rishi Sanyal wasn't correct with his answers. Re: Focus point: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

i've had some epic arguments with rishi, he's a smart guy, and overall he's done more good at dpr than all of the mods/admins put together.

i would suggest that rather than bemoaning the dismal state of affairs at dpr, the pentax community publish their own sets of af tests, using the same criteria that dpr did.

it sounds like a lot of that testing has been done already, just need to present it somewhere.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 07-08-2016 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Removed masked vulgarity.
07-08-2016, 08:30 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am not sure why any review site would even go near another Pentax camera again after the K1. You guys are ruthless when somebody gives your baby a bad review.

The whole K1 thing has turned me off being a "Pentax" user, even though I love my camera. The carry-on here is so damn silly. It's like a mother saying "how dare you call my baby ugly". By contacting Pentax about it you've basically run to the teacher and ratted on the naughty child.

I returned my whole K1 kit for a refund because I thought the AF was not up to the task, so I kinda relate to them a little.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-08-2016 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Removed masked vulgarity
07-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
They probably track your source IP.... unless, of course, you change Internet service provider....
They probably won't stop you the first time, but you do have to go through a tedious post approval process.

---------- Post added 08-07-16 at 17:39 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
You guys are ruthless
Who is You guys? We are all individuals here and not everybody criticizing on dpreview is a member here.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 07-08-2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Cleaned up vulgarity from quoted post.
07-08-2016, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #50

I don't know about the accuracy of DPR website, however everybody can make their own judgement. Having said that, I have noticed that K3 as well as K1 review was delayed in time and certain Canikon product were evaluated in advance. I don't think it is a coincidence or at least doesn't look like one since it is a fact that they got their K1 while back and posted some sample pictures. Taking this into consideration with the practice of banning people with different opinion is worrisome and it is raising a question about their objectivity in reviewing the products.
About the AF-C test and the varying conditions I agree that repeating is hard, but then what is the point of doing this test anyways.....
Cheers and congratulations to the biz-eng for the ban
07-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #51
Veteran Member

- Special K?
- you can take your kindle...
That is definitely unprofessional..

While I have no problem with them stating that the k-1 AF system still lags behind equivalent Canikon models, but fudging erroneous test result to substantiate false claim to mislead other people is called "corruption"; their credibility goes out the door. In other professions (ex. Statistician), the person who is responsible for this should be banned for this practice, not the persons who pointed out the mistakes.
07-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #52
osv
Veteran Member

I am not sure why any review site would even go near another Pentax camera again after the K1. You guys are ruthless when somebody gives your baby a bad review.
i didn't look at any of the af pics, but given the rhetoric that constantly gets posted by some people on this forum, i suspect that there is more to the dpr discussion than what we are reading in this thread...

the community needs to post up their own *credible* k1 af data.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-08-2016 at 10:39 AM.
07-08-2016, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #53
Veteran Member

We all know that the Pentax AF could be (much) better for sport type photography. Tests should show this too and tester should review that. But when the do that they should work correct.
- knowing the camera
- taking a reproducible correct test setup
- reporting the measurements from a neutral .point of view.
- if questions arise, investigating this and answer correctly
07-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes, I went out one time and shot a cyclist at night. Got good results, but... the conditions where not the same. So I asked DPR for the conditions: 200mm, cyclist coming toward the camera, daylight, AFC center point, first frame focus prio, subsequent frames focus prio. I went out again, I photographed 5 cyclists running towards the camera, I got 2 photos slightly out of focus among 70 shots. I came back to DPR with 68 x 36Mpixel AF shots and they banned me. I gave up. What the point of redo their test if it's going to be rejected anyway.
wow, if you can upload your results somewhere and then one of our member can comment that link on DPR, it is not that hard, I'm curious about the K1 AF too
07-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #55
Veteran Member

You are right. I did not jump in DPR at first. I read there evaluation and since I had never really push the Pentax K1 AF system, I was curious about what I would get. So, I first took dpreview evaluation for true, I questioned myself and I went out to try it to see what I would get. I was surprised that I got worst case 85% keeper rate, and often 100% in focus, very different from DPR claiming 85% out of focus shots. I read comments from non K1 owners on DPR posts, saying that DPR review is probably right, from knowing Pentax AF reputation, somhow backing up DPR conclusion based on nothing. I couldn't accept this. If DPR conclusion is the 50% AFS shots are out of focus and 85% AFC tracking shots are out of focus, and I get the contrary from my camera, I can't let go that every non Pentax K1 owner will wwallow a conclusion that's so far from reality of the field.

If DPR would have wrote: Pentax K1 AF keeper rate >85%, not as good as D750 keeper rate 95%, I'd not have reacted. But saying that Pentax K1 keeper rate is 15% (85% shots out of focus), is a big fat lie that only people not having a Pentax K1 at hand can believe, and that's the problem because that's a serious blocking point for Ricoh to sell new camera. I was banned as soon as I put Ricoh in the loop to check DPR AF results... because at this point, knowing that they faked the AF conclusion, DPR guys started to pi** in their pants.

Immediately, they started to modify bit after bit their conclusions.
Have you posted your test results somewhere? I would like to see them. Also, have others tried to do a similar test and posted results somewhere? It seems like a pretty basic test of AF-C.
07-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We all know that the Pentax AF could be (much) better for sport type photography. Tests should show this too and tester should review that. But when the do that they should work correct.
- knowing the camera
- taking a reproducible correct test setup
- reporting the measurements from a neutral .point of view.
- if questions arise, investigating this and answer correctly
Actually, they responded favorably to the language obj cations and I think the Kindle issue when a poster politely pointed out the problems with snark and pejorative words. They simply won't agree that their testing process isn't independent, which would call into doubt the veracity of their results.

Unfortunately the appearance of a conflict of interest is far worse than an actual conflict of interest because one cannot willing correct appearances. Their attitude is our problem, but most posters aren't reasonable enough not to respond in kind.

Well done.
07-08-2016, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The whole K1 thing has turned me off being a "Pentax" user, even though I love my camera. The carry-on here is so damn silly. It's like a mother saying "how dare you call my baby ugly". By contacting Pentax about it you've basically run to the teacher and ratted on the naughty child.

I returned my whole K1 kit for a refund because I thought the AF was not up to the task, so I kinda relate to them a little.
Your dismissive attitude is just like theirs. Enjoy your Nikon.
07-08-2016, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #58
ogl
Banned

To say honest, the tests of AF and dynamic range of DReview are absolutely unprofessional.

Some of physicists (and Falk Lumo, by the way, it seems to me) criticized the method of dynamic range testing as useless. I don't remember arguments, I'm not physicist , but the discussion could be found at forum.
07-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #59
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
There's nothing stopping you from making a new account:
Yep, and there is nothing stopping you from another lobotomy if you keep making such bad decisions as to rejoin DPR. It is like not flossing and brushing so you can have another root canal.

I saw a program the other day where a man's wife hired a hit man to kill him, after attempting it herself 4 times without success. When she got out of prison he took her back and claimed she "wasn't really a bad person".

You can always tell a fool...but you can't tell them much!

Regards!
07-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #60
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
If DPR conclusion is the 50% AFS shots are out of focus and 85% AFC tracking shots are out of focus, and I get the contrary from my camera, I can't let go that every non Pentax K1 owner will wwallow a conclusion that's so far from reality of the field.
Can I just point you guys to something? It's a DPR forum comment by the hated guy known as Rishi. Among other things, he says this:

QuoteQuote:
Nowhere did we explicitly say the K-1 can't shoot action or anything moving. People shoot action with manual focus. That'd be a ludicrous thing to say. We repeatedly say the K-1's performance is not up to expectations set by many contemporaries. I can't help you if you choose to interpret something we wrote in a wildly different manner from which it was meant to be interpreted. Kind of like how X people didn't read our AF page and assumed we were saying the camera can't AF-S when we stated that single-point AF had a < 50% hit rate in our focus tests... when we were clearly referring to our actual focus tests, all of which were in AF-C, as detailed in our AF page.
If people are jumping to conclusions and there is no scrutiny around here, what good is this topic to me, or to anyone else for that matter?

I rest my case regarding the earlier post I made about hearing their side of the story.
Closed Thread