Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 03:11 AM - 12 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Been banned from DPReview

Interestingly, I've provided evidence about the K1 AF performance with a number of actual AFC, bike tracking photos from the Pentax K1.
I've questionned the honesty of DPReview AF evaluation and contacted Ricoh marcom.
The reaction of DPReview was that I've been banned completely from DPReview.
If they are so sure about their Pentax K1 AF evaluation, why do they need to ban someone from posting annoying results?

07-08-2016, 03:17 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Because you are a Pentax Loyalist contradicting the established and confirmed facts which were revealed by their rigorous, scientific testing?
(just stating what they might be thinking...)

Unfortunately, things degenerated into a war between Pentaxians and a certain Rishi (who is aggressively defending his tests).
07-08-2016, 03:18 AM - 2 Likes   #3

seems like they behave just like some DXO guys
07-08-2016, 03:23 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've been banned completely from DPReview.

Well done biz. Their reaction is very small minded. The truth cannot be tolerated by some people ( or organizations ) but it will always come out in the end.

07-08-2016, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Several years ago, I was blocked from signing up to dpreview, for some reason. Before I even managed to post anything. Ever since then I haven't tried to sign up again. I ration my participation in camera sites anyhow, so I never really cared much.

Maybe there is some other tech/geolocation/NSA reason for them banning/blocking you.
07-08-2016, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Unfortunately, things degenerated into a war between Pentaxians and a certain Rishi (who is aggressively defending his tests).
Well, to begin with, I was always fully open to reproduce their tests in the exact same conditions, so I'm still an individual open to acknowledge a failure.
On the side of DPReview, they are scared, scared that after digging their own crave of denying anything that does not fit their conclusion.
07-08-2016, 03:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Why reproducing their test in the exact same conditions? Do you think it's relevant?

07-08-2016, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I didn't get any answers to my concrete questions about the contradiction what this guy (technical editor) says and what is in the pictures to be seen by exiftool. The sequence of photos vanished a second time and were replaced by a third set - with little better results.

Re: Focus point: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The question for the minimal and the maximal distance - because of the DOF - was never answered. At least two guys have been asking

I think dpreview made a bad job for their reputation with that.
07-08-2016, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Interestingly, I've provided evidence about the K1 AF performance with a number of actual AFC, bike tracking photos from the Pentax K1.
I've questionned the honesty of DPReview AF evaluation and contacted Ricoh marcom.
The reaction of DPReview was that I've been banned completely from DPReview.
If they are so sure about their Pentax K1 AF evaluation, why do they need to ban someone from posting annoying results?
The correct answer is: I don't know and I don't care until I've heard their side of the story too so that I can form my own opinion about it.

There was one person in the comments saying this:
QuoteQuote:
I did your tests. AFC center point, focus priority. I have about 70 shots in total, all in focus. Where should I post them?
To which Rishi responded:
QuoteQuote:
Can you upload them to your own gallery? Full resolution please.

At this point several members who've repeated our test get exactly our hit-rate. I've even received PMs saying 'I did your test and you were essentially right - thanks for pointing this out and I hope Pentax takes this critical feedback seriously.'

Ironically, thecamerastoretv video many have linked to as somehow representative of how focus works better than in our tests shows a whole lot of out-of-focus shots in the sequence of Chris running, visible even at the ridiculously low resolutions of vertical frames in a 1080p video (< 1MP resolution). They also provide no full-resolution images.

So we'd be very curious to see the actual data from someone who claims they're getting drastically better results in a similar test/scenario.

Last edited by starbase218; 07-08-2016 at 04:38 AM.
07-08-2016, 04:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Have you read how they at times sort of antagonize each other over there? I really don't like to join that site. Like I always do, if I'm in the mood, I read their posts/reviews and accept what I think is right. Those I think that are wrong, I ignore. But most of the time I find their posts as ......
07-08-2016, 04:45 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Let me put it this way: You are not the only person who has been banned.

Instead of firing underperforming technical editors they tend to correct reality in the North-Korea approach (plug the mouth of people - that is their customers - bringing forward serious criticism).

I hear applause for this from Kim-Yong Un.
07-08-2016, 04:50 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
The correct answer is: I don't know and I don't care until I've heard their side of the story too so that I can form my own opinion about it.
The only issue is to rely on "stories". Please don't believe any story. Borrow a K1 and try it for yourself, including in difficult AF conditions. Anything written can be anything, you can never really know what it means in terms of photographic results.

DPReview put forward statements, essentially. If you post successful shots, they going to say "ah but it's not valid, it was 160mm FL and not 200mm" or "well the bike speed was not the same" or "the color of the biker was not the same" or "it wasn't a burst of 15 consecutive shots" etc etc... If DPR staff have decided to play stupid, they always find an way to invalidate success AF results.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-08-2016 at 05:01 AM.
07-08-2016, 04:57 AM - 5 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I get pictures I like. My skill is more limiting than my equipment. What do I care what they or their tests say?
07-08-2016, 05:06 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
The only issue is to rely on "stories". Please don't believe any story. Borrow a K1 and try it for yourself, including in difficult AF conditions. Anything written can be anything, you can never really know what it means in terms of photographic results.
I will most likely never buy the K-1, so I'm not going to waste my time with that. I have the K-3 and sometimes have difficulty keeping correct focus on a moving subject.

DPReview put forward statements, essentially. If you post successful shots, they going to say "ah but it's not valid, it was 160mm FL and not 200mm" or "well the bike speed was not the same" or "the color of the biker was not the same" or "it wasn't a burst of 15 consecutive shots" etc etc... If DPR staff have decided to play stupid, they always find an way to invalidate success AF results.
Again, that's your conclusion, not mine.
07-08-2016, 05:10 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
...I've questionned the honesty of DPReview AF evaluation and contacted Ricoh marcom.
My guess is you offended them by accusing them of being dishonest.
Closed Thread