Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #31
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes, I went out one time and shot a cyclist at night. Got good results, but... the conditions where not the same. So I asked DPR for the conditions: 200mm, cyclist coming toward the camera, daylight, AFC center point, first frame focus prio, subsequent frames focus prio. I went out again, I photographed 5 cyclists running towards the camera, I got 2 photos out of focus. I came back to DPR with 68 x 36Mpixel AF shots and they banned me. I gave up. What the point of redo their test if it's going to be rejected anyway.
I'm sorry, but I'm going to risk coming up with an unpopular answer again: until I hear their word, I'm still not drawing any conclusions personally.

But, reading what you write does make me wonder about things. If you really tried to recreate the situation as best you could, got those results, uploaded them and the next thing is that you got banned... that does make me wonder.

For now, though, I'm going to let those thoughts go because I got other things I have to focus on. But I'm sorry you got banned.

07-08-2016, 06:44 AM   #32
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
But is it perfect? Nope. That will be the K1Pro (K1s, K1 ii, K1 Super - whatever). Can hardly wait. Or should I switch to the new Hasseblad mirroless??
You need both, Walt Actually, I need both. All my photographic failings will disappear if I have those, for sure...
07-08-2016, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
You may get a sequence where 85 or even 100% of the shots is in focus. I'm not saying that's impossible. I've also seen topics in DPR forums where users posted their own sequences with a higher percentage in focus than the DPR test shows. Unfortunately, the test conditions were also quite different, e.g. a greater distance, less distracting backgrounds etc. So, my conclusion is that those sequences still don't prove that DPR deliberately made the K-1's focusing look worse than it is.

So my question would be: have you asked them about the speed of the cyclist, the distance from the camera, and maybe other relevant things? Have you tried to recreate that test as closely as possible? If so, you may have a point. If not, the K-1 might still be perfectly adequate for the situations you encounter, but it doesn't prove that their test was carried out in a way to make the camera look bad.

Again, look at the 80D review. That also had a significant percentage of out-of-focus images.

As far as AF-S is concerned, I raised eyebrows too when I read about the 50% out-of-focus rate. Haven't really looked into that though. I don't really need to either, because I'm happy with my K-3's AF-S performance. If you have a gripe with that, I could understand it better. But I thought this topic was about the AF-C test?
As long as my first image is in focus, I find the K-1 is capable of tracking pretty well with the DFA 70-200. If first image isn't in focus, all bets are off. I mostly was bothered by some of the inflammatory rhetoric which DP Review used, where they said that they didn't think the K-1 was adequate for taking photos of moving kids. Sure, Canon/Nikon are better, but taking photos of moving kids isn't rocket science and I haven't had any trouble with this camera.
07-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #34
Pentaxian

So my question would be: have you asked them about the speed of the cyclist, the distance from the camera, and maybe other relevant things?
Its been asked and they refuse to answer those questions. FYI DOF at 6m is only 13cm in front, so speed and distance should be known. But were the other settings? Use the dedicated AF button or just the release button. That makes a difference as well. The list continues.

07-08-2016, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #35
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
Its been asked and they refuse to answer those questions. FYI DOF at 6m is only 13cm in front, so speed and distance should be known. But were the other settings? Use the dedicated AF button or just the release button. That makes a difference as well. The list continues.
This is a good point... it's one thing to test a camera, but another thing entirely to know how to get the most from it. Just like cars... You can give someone the keys to an old Porsche 911 and they might conclude that it's "tail happy" and handles poorly when cornering at speed, whereas someone who knows how to drive the car properly will get outstanding results with it...
07-08-2016, 07:09 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As long as my first image is in focus, I find the K-1 is capable of tracking pretty well with the DFA 70-200. If first image isn't in focus, all bets are off. I mostly was bothered by some of the inflammatory rhetoric which DP Review used, where they said that they didn't think the K-1 was adequate for taking photos of moving kids. Sure, Canon/Nikon are better, but taking photos of moving kids isn't rocket science and I haven't had any trouble with this camera.
I actually have with my K-3. I don't think things are always that equal, even though they may appear to be.
07-08-2016, 07:12 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Let me put it this way: You are not the only person who has been banned.
Let me be the first to congratulate you on being banned from DPR. I was banned for life years ago, never given a reason, never the courtesy of a word from the arrogant and pitiful staff there. Many of my friends that protested my banning were also banned for their support.

You are most fortunate to be out of that horrid place. All of us, and there are many, that have been banned from DPR, realize it was a very good day that good fortune came our way.

In reverse.....this site is simply wonderful, has more and better information and a fantastic staff with an administrator that is fair minded and reasonable. I've had my share of problems here.....I tend to get in trouble at times..but have always been given respect and a fair shake...and an opportunity to correct my mistakes. So unlike the backstabbing instant execution given to those at DPR that disagree with their arrogant staff.

Best Regards!

BTW- I find the AF on my K1 to be amazingly excellent. I read their review at DPR and the word that came to mind was...."idiots".

07-08-2016, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

I tried the same I want the distances for the first and the last photo, to calculate DOF. I ddn't get an answer

I've proven that Rishi Sanyal wasn't correct with his answers. Re: Focus point: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
I ask for clarification no answer
But a new Set of pictures with the central focus point mainly on the left front part of the helmet, but more good photos in this set.

That's good.
My skill is more limiting than my equipment.
I never understand quotes like these. You develop skills to work with your equipment to get the results you want.

Besides, DPR's job is to review cameras, not people and their skills.
Me too, my skills are more limiting my photos than those of my camera. There are features I've never used. But my skills will grow. 95% of a photo is made behind the camera
Lacking skills - the result you can see in this famous AF-C Test.

When my job is to review cameras I should have the skills to do so, and I should have the skills to use the camera (which is hard, when you tests cameras of different vendors on a daily base) and I need skills to report my results correct and in an non offending way.

- Special K?
- you can take your kindle...

this is not professional but prejudging

And I shouldn't bann people, who show, me that I should think an retest.
07-08-2016, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #39

I have found their (dpreview) reviews to be decreasingly useful or interesting. I rarely visit dpreview forums any longer as they are infected with fanbois/trolls, When I read here that one of their forum members was banned for demonstrating an inaccuracy of their K1 review, I asked them to delete my dpreview account. I no longer wish to associate with them.
07-08-2016, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I was banned for life years ago,
I bet they read your posts here and kick themselves........
07-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To the OP:

First: I don't own a K1 (shame on me for hacking this thread) but because I have been regularly following most K1 threads I thought that this one was very interesting to read. We never know, I just might end up with one when the time comes.

You have a lot of guts to "present" your "case" with DPR and they simply did not like it.
Most of us here wouldn't even think of getting into an argument with them (DPR).
Whether you had better results than they did would also indicate to me that the (DPR) "testers" did not take minimal time to get acquainted with the very basics of the K1.
Then again, and because they are so "famous", they sure don't like people in-the-know tell them that they goofed.

Kudos to you, OP !!
07-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My apologies if anyone saw my (now deleted) posts. I'm starting to question DPReview's accuracy myself and it's not just Pentax that's affected. There's a general inconsistency and drop in quality affecting all of their newer reviews. However, I'd still prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt.

As you may know, DPReview is run by Amazon and they have a vested interest in keeping a revenue stream. We must not exclude legitimate business interests; at the same time, however, the accuracy of content needs to be maintained for DPReview to remain a credible source. I am of the opinion that it's either an incompetent reviewer or a defective camera that led to the worse-than-expected review, and see no obvious reason to believe that foul play is involved.

I am not a member of their forums and have no plans to join due to their overly restrictive policies (the policies restrict links to any competing forum). Then again, it's their space and they have every right to protect legitimate business interests. That's why we're here on Pentax Forums.

My condolences to biz-engineer for the ban. DPReview's forums have always been like this (well before the Amazon acquisition), and thanks for trying.

Draco

Last edited by bwDraco; 07-08-2016 at 07:58 AM.
07-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BIAS: they like another brand better than mine; OBJECTIVITY: they are wildly positive about the equipment I own.
I don't think it is intentional bias, I think it is Confirmation Bias. They know how their familiar cameras work and how to make them produce a desired result. When the familiar brand issues a new product it confirms their familiarit assumption. When an unfamiliar brand issues a new product which achieves a similar end result by a different means - their unfamiliarity assumption is confirmed.

Familiar = Superior
Unfamiliar = Inferior
Result = Unmeasured
07-08-2016, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I bet they read your posts here and kick themselves........
I'm not even the value of a grain of sand to the staff at DPR.....but worse, neither is anyone else that posts there.

The difference here is so overwhelming.....In a dispute once, Adam even referred to old Rupert as a "valued member".....so if old Rupert is a valued member, you know damn well the rest of you guys are too!

Be happy here, no one needs DPR, we have it all and tons more at our fingertips at PForums. And no...I am not sucking up to the ownership or staff here.Time has proven the truth in my words.....I've been here a long time...these are good people.....even the ones that don't like my squirrels!

Regards!
07-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #45
Pentaxian

There's nothing stopping you from making a new account:

QuoteOriginally posted by dpreview forum rules:
Returning after a permanent ban. In most cases we ban the account, not the person behind it. There is no rule that explicitly forbids you fromcreating a new user account after a permanent ban, but we have sophisticated systems that do a good job of identifying those who do return. For certain users (such as those whose bans resulted from spamming or posting offensive content), we will automatically ban your new accounts as soon as you create them. For most previously banned users, however, the new account will treated as an opportunity for you to make a fresh start on the forums, but be aware: we'll be watching you. Any repeat of the behavior that got you banned will result in a permanent ban for your new (and any future) accounts.
Closed Thread