Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Rupert, there are some good people there (and beautiful images to be seen, too!).
A cesspool full of know-it-all-betters, complete fails and full of hatred Canikon-fanboys (we now know this does include junior editors as much as users) containing traces of good people still is a cesspool to be ashamed of.

I do feel sorry for the few well intentioned users though. One of the brightest lights sadly has passed away recently, sadly.

07-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I noticed this right away...the first Pentax I have owned that will lock focus in a brushy frame on the subject you are wanting to shoot...and hold that focus!

Not to mention shooting in the dark at 1/40 handheld with a big ol' Bigma @ ISO 12800! Of course, I didn't ask him to ride his bicycle toward me....but I bet he would have!

Regards!
here is just one example, on my K-3 this would have been focused on that branch, not a great picture, but still it shows the example.
07-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
A cesspool full of know-it-all-betters, complete fails and full of hatred Canikon-fanboys (we now know this does include junior editors as much as users) containing traces of good people still is a cesspool to be ashamed of.
(Laughs)

07-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #124
Lens Buying Addict

I received my 1000-character rant reply, but I surrendered the field prior to banishment! At a point you just have to let go and get on with shooting your K-1 because we're the 'Other' that validates the preference model. They're not going to treat us fairly.

DXO does the same thing. Don't hold your breath waiting for their test results.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-18-2016 at 06:46 PM.
07-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

DXO does the same thing. Don't hold your breath waiting for their test results.

Aren't they still sitting on some wonderful 645Z test figures?
07-18-2016, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #126
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Aren't they still sitting on some wonderful 645Z test figures?
It is taking them some time to massage their performance algorithms to fully normalize the 645Z results to parity with other cameras in its price bracket.

Steve
07-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #127
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mini Gathering w One Pro and Two Talents at Chinese Garden - Photo Sharing

Under the user felixcat8888, I shot using AF-C when the model walked towards me.
07-19-2016, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #128
Pentaxian

imaging recource on the k-1's AF performance:

Very good autofocus performance, especially in low light

We found ourselves very impressed with the uprated autofocus system of the Pentax K-1. Phase-detection autofocus speed is very good, and in real-world shooting, it's also pretty reliably accurate. And while contrast-detection AF is a good bit slower, it's fast enough to be usable with many subjects, too.
Where the K-1 really astounded us, though, was in its low-light performance. Again, this noticeably bettered Ricoh's own manufactured-rated figures, being able to focus a good bit below the -3.0EV spec even with our low-contrast focus target, and even further with a high-contrast target. And that was borne out in the real world as well, with the phase-detect AF system being able to work with subjects which were dark enough that it was difficult to even frame them in the viewfinder!

Pentax K-1 Review - Conclusion

07-19-2016, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #129
Pentaxian

Nah, if the test is not officially Rishi'd on a fixed tripod for action shooting and spiced up by some unproven dpr/Nikon fanboy claims it can't be true.
The biggest mistake of IR though is: they offer the same tests for the peer group of cameras, which is scientifically unsound, because comparable data only messes things up and distracts from the ultimate fan truth/prejudice.
In (dpr) scientific dreamworld you run tests to prove your pre-set belief, not to create valuable comparison data.
07-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #130

To put in perspective, DPR did nominate it joint best full frame $1200-$2000 range camera....

(I suppose the K1 does outclass it's price range.....)
07-19-2016, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #131
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Rupert, there are some good people there (and beautiful images to be seen, too!).
Can't deny that......when I was banned...and never given any reason whatsoever, over 150 Members wrote letters to the DPR staff on my behalf asking for a lift on the ban....157 to be exact. These were my friends and very good people......yet not a single one received a reply of any type.

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Under the user felixcat8888,
I loved Felix the Cat.....have watched every one of them......he was a "wonderful, wonderful, cat!"

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Where the K-1 really astounded us, though, was in its low-light performance. Again, this noticeably bettered Ricoh's own manufactured-rated figures, being able to focus a good bit below the -3.0EV spec even with our low-contrast focus target, and even further with a high-contrast target. And that was borne out in the real world as well, with the phase-detect AF system being able to work with subjects which were dark enough that it was difficult to even frame them in the viewfinder!
Couldn't see her in the viewfinder....heard the focus confirmation beep and saw the crop frame go red and snapped.....Amazing!

Regards!
07-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #132
Site Supporter

Nice catch Rupert. Yes, my parents named me after the cartoon. I too watched it as a kid.
07-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice catch Rupert. Yes, my parents named me after the cartoon. I too watched it as a kid.
It was one of my favorites too! Back in the day when kids were more easily entertained.

For the next issue of Gentleman Squirrel Monthly

Seldom get any of the nice edge color on the wings of these little Spanish doves.

He was mad about something...he never said just what but I think it had to do with squirrels?

Regards!
07-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #134
Site Supporter

Nice photos Rupert!
07-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #135
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice photos Rupert!
Thank you Felix! You're a wonderful, wonderful.....never mind!

Seriously, thank you!