Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #61
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by screwdriver222 Quote
Just curious. From the Pentax website: -
PENTAX Real-time Scene Analysis System

This RICOH-original technology is available during viewfinder shooting when the exposure mode is set to Scene Analyze Auto and the Custom Image mode is set to Auto Select.

Has anyone used continuous autofocus with above settings.
Very interesting question. I usually don't use continuous autofocus and I never use Scene Analyze Auto, but I think that the website (Features5 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING) is mistaken.

When you are in "Scene Analyze Auto" (the green AUTO on the top dial) then you cannot choose another custom image mode than "Auto Select". The website did not need to mentions both settings. Moreover, the K-1 manual says (page 51) than in AUTO mode, the autofocus mode is fixed to AF-S, and indeed on my K-1 it is not a continuous AF.

In the K-1 manual, there is only one reference to tracking pages 51 and 53, which says that it is available when shooting with liveview.

Last edited by Ptitboul; 07-10-2016 at 04:31 PM. Reason: References to the K-1 manual
07-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I think Pentax missed an opportunity to provide that type of engine with a new generation of cameras.
I do agree.

While I firmly believe the K-1 AF system is very capable indeed, as it stands, K-1 SAFOX 12 - in terms of the basic sensor hardware package at least - remains very similar to SAFOX 11 (pic related). Ricoh could probably have progressed SAFOX further in the K-1 than they did.

Some interesting new Ricoh AF patents turned up before the K-1 release, which highlighted some cool innovations Ricoh were pursuing. But I guess that stuff is destined for future Pentaxes.
07-10-2016, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From my observations (at a macro level).... most Pentaxians are just so capable that we don't need "fancy la la" autofocus .......... thats for other needy photographers.....thats it....debate over, can close this thread now as well.
07-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #64
Veteran Member

I sense CLOSURE is coming Soon !

07-10-2016, 10:48 PM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some people seem really distraught by where the focus points are.

The Nikon D810 is also a traditional DSLR not covering action more than the central APS-C area:

Pic acknowledged to be from Doug Klostermann's blog: Nikon D810 Tips and Tricks – Part 1 | Picturing Change

You must keep the target inside that area by panning.

If you put your d810 on a tripod like DPR did with the K-1, and the target wanders outside this area, you lose focus.
07-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Some people seem really distraught by where the focus points are.

The Nikon D810 is also a traditional DSLR not covering action more than the central APS-C area:

Pic acknowledged to be from Doug Klostermann's blog: Nikon D810 Tips and Tricks – Part 1 | Picturing Change

You must keep the target inside that area by panning.

If you put your d810 on a tripod like DPR did with the K-1, and the target wanders outside this area, you lose focus.
Yeah apparently except a few most FF have quite reduced AF area :'(
07-10-2016, 11:12 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Indeed but you need a car that can track on curves and race on strait aways. I think Pentax missed an opportunity to provide that type of engine with a new generation of cameras.
Well you know car that drive themselve are arround the corner. It make take quite some timebut they'll be there. The car manufacturers that will fail to provide such feature will be trouble.

We don't need FF, we don't need 36MP. We don't need advanced AF neither. But people will create their own needs and get latest K1 or equivalent from another brand anyway!

07-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
you opinion based what? Don't be such a negative factor!
Just before my post look at Davd&Lauren post... It completely illustrate that. This is not the only one. There many Pentax fanboy there that never tried something else that will deny it, sure but apparently this is simply how it is.

We still improved a lot we got from terrible to good enough but AFC while effective for trained people like biz-engineer is not at the level of intuitivity of some other brands.

This doesn't mean it is a point and shoot or that you don't have to point the camera on the subject. It just mean that for action/sport we don't have the best, by far. And while not trivial action, Nikon user have an easier job.

Pentax still need to make progress, get a new module that cover more of the FF area, likely with at least 50 AF points and to get that AFC tracking software to really work well. That should be feasible no? They have all the basics in their hands.
07-10-2016, 11:30 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Yeah apparently except a few most FF have quite reduced AF area :'(
Without being the intention, you are correct. 7DII and 5DIII share variants of the same AF module.
The only camera that have spread PDAF point across the frame are D500 and D5 and that's new.
07-10-2016, 11:42 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Without being the intention, you are correct. 7DII and 5DIII share variants of the same AF module.
The only camera that have spread PDAF point across the frame are D500 and D5 and that's new.
Thanks to explain that when I am correct, that only by random...

But that only DSLR, I think mirorless body tend to have wider coverage.
07-11-2016, 12:09 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Thanks to explain that when I am correct, that only by random... But that only DSLR, I think mirorless body tend to have wider coverage.
Yes, that's good.

Beside that, I was out this week end shooting with my K1. So I did not see all what happened in the threads. So, far, in spite of forum discussions where folks are arguing because they want to be right, my K1 focused instantly every time. I did not find the K1 AFS to be "hesitating"n either PDAF nor LV, I've had a good time shooting :-)

---------- Post added 11-07-16 at 09:14 ----------

As a general statement, never ask the 80% of Canon/Nikon market dominance about Pentax AF, you know the answer in advance. If you own a Pentax camera, don't shoot yourself in the foot by putting Pentax down. Canon/Nikon users tend not to do this. My friend has a Canon, every time Nikon has issues with oil on sensors, he does not forget to remind everyone, however, if I say that Canon sensor DR is not so good , he'll reply "Well, really, never heard about that. In practice, I don't see any DR issue with Canon sensors".

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-11-2016 at 12:14 AM.
07-11-2016, 02:31 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Just before my post look at Davd&Lauren post... It completely illustrate that. This is not the only one. There many Pentax fanboy there that never tried something else that will deny it, sure but apparently this is simply how it is.

We still improved a lot we got from terrible to good enough but AFC while effective for trained people like biz-engineer is not at the level of intuitivity of some other brands.

This doesn't mean it is a point and shoot or that you don't have to point the camera on the subject. It just mean that for action/sport we don't have the best, by far. And while not trivial action, Nikon user have an easier job.

Pentax still need to make progress, get a new module that cover more of the FF area, likely with at least 50 AF points and to get that AFC tracking software to really work well. That should be feasible no? They have all the basics in their hands.
You would think dpreview reviewers would be experienced enough. Anybody who buys a dslr and doesn't take the trouble to get to know it will not make the best pictures and are better of with a point and shoot. Pentax cannot just copy Canon or Nikon. Their AF methods are probably well patented. So they have to work around those. The D700's tracking isn't nearly as fast as the k-1's. It is from 2008. Ancient in camera land. This will of course not convince you at all because you are the keeper of unassailable truths. IT is how YOU say it is and I am a fanboy.
07-11-2016, 03:12 AM   #73
Veteran Member

There many Pentax fanboy t
once one starts reffering to people as "fanboys" you've lost me.
07-11-2016, 05:18 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Also note that AF coverage diminishes a lot on the D810 (and other Nikon FF) if you use a slow telephoto or teleconvertor:

There many Pentax fanboy there that never tried something else that will deny it, sure but apparently this is simply how it is.
Some of us can speak from direct experience of 51 and 39 point PDAF. Others who have commented here also use FF mirrorless. So it's not all fanboyism in this thread.
07-11-2016, 05:20 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Indeed but you need a car that can track on curves and race on strait aways. I think Pentax missed an opportunity to provide that type of engine with a new generation of cameras.
But if you put a steering wheel lock on the car you wouldnt be able to get out of the pitstop. ---> DPR putting the K-1 on a tripod for tracking.