Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2016, 05:26 AM   #76
Veteran Member

I think Ricoh know what needs to be done . . . and they'll be working on it . . . and they'll deliver.

Expect the next generation of Pentax DSLR's to have competitive tracking, numerous and widely spread AF points and 4K video with superb codec. Also 1/320s flash sync.

Got to have a reason to upgrade in a few years time, because the rest of the K-1 is near perfect.

07-11-2016, 05:47 AM   #77
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep reading here...not sure why, I am not an action shooter......most all of my animals here will even freeze and pose for a shot if I promise them a treat.

He got a six pack of cold beer for this pose......

1/200 handheld (Great new SR!) f6.3 (wide open) Bigma 50-500 @ 500mm ISO 6400...no noise reduction applied.

A question...if the AF-C works well in Crop Mode....why not use it? You are not doing portrait work for action shots and are shooting a small area anyhow...seems the perfect mode to me?

As I hear the complaints, I keep going back to that thread by old Norm that made absolute sense. You can't get a Mercedes with all its features in a Kia and at a Kia price. Seems pretty simple to me.

If this is not the case, then we would have to assume that Ricoh chose to deprive us of super fast AF-C because they were too lazy to provide it and it had nothing to do with cost? That makes no sense to me, when the other features are superb...outstanding even! Would you want to pay another $1K for the faster AF-C? How many would that price out of ownership? Would that be a good strategy?

Sometimes we have to be more realistic than what I see from some here. You can have it all....you just have to pay the price...it really is that simple. Be happy, this is a superb camera, enjoy it for all it can do...which for me is more than I will ever need.

Best Regards!
07-11-2016, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Ricoh chose to deprive us of super fast AF-C because they were too lazy to provide it and it had nothing to do with cost?
I think with the K-1, Ricoh were just being a bit conservative. They were working step-by-step through what they needed to do to deliver a solid, affordable FF to Pentaxians. It would have probably been technically risky - and expensive - to cram too much totally new stuff into the K-1, like new super-duper AF.

I reckon what they will do is put some fancy new AF features in the K-3II replacement, which will also find it's way into a future K-1 replacement.

Before that happens, I expect that we can look forward to some K-1 firmware upgrades to further tune and enhance how it's AF works.
07-11-2016, 08:04 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think with the K-1, Ricoh were just being a bit conservative. They were working step-by-step through what they needed to do to deliver a solid, affordable FF to Pentaxians. It would have probably been technically risky - and expensive - to cram too much totally new stuff into the K-1, like new super-duper AF.

I reckon what they will do is put some fancy new AF features in the K-3II replacement, which will also find it's way into a future K-1 replacement.

Before that happens, I expect that we can look forward to some K-1 firmware upgrades to further tune and enhance how it's AF works.
Same as that.

Looking forward to the next iteration of the K-3. A fast crop format DSLR certainly has its uses.

07-11-2016, 08:14 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Maybe...but if they could have given a super fast and accurate AF-C at the same price there is no doubt they would have. They still don't make a KIA with Mercedes features at a KIA price......it is just a matter of reality that cost is a major factor in almost any product. Can KIA reproduce Mercedes quality and innovation? Yep, if they want to spend the cash...and if you want to pay the price.

I can shoot a squirrel or birdie an extra two hours a day with my K1....early and late and still get a usable shot. I don't worry about what the K1 won't do...I am too busy enjoying what it does do!

Regards!

1/200 handheld (Great new SR!) f7.1 Bigma 50-500 @ 500mm ISO 12800----Works for me!

BTW- Getting him to freeze cost me two wine coolers and a sack of crushed ice.
07-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great new SR!
I believe that sr is inherently more effective on full frame as long as you don't crop to much. Also the pixels are bigger than those in the k-3 so blur will happen later.
07-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Going all the way back to K-01 Pentax has often introduced 'new' technologies on limited-run models and learned from a product that is neither core nor essential to the major product. Other than the moon lander LCD I don't think there's anything really new in the K-1.

They must feel pretty comfortable with KAF4 on K-70 though, unless there's something else in the pipeline to replace it quickly.

07-11-2016, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looking at the history of Pentax, they have never set out to produce a top of the line autofocus system. In my opinion they only offer enough to entice existing pentax users to keep upgrading. Canon, Nikon, Sony etc are simply trying to offer the best in that they can offer and Ricoh does not compete. Its likely true that Ricoh can't, but I dont think they are trying either. If they need to hire the best engineers in the business than do it. Seriously Ricoh, whatever it takes.
07-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Looking at the history of Pentax, they have never set out to produce a top of the line autofocus system. In my opinion they only offer enough to entice existing pentax users to keep upgrading. Canon, Nikon, Sony etc are simply trying to offer the best in that they can offer and Ricoh does not compete. Its likely true that Ricoh can't, but I dont think they are trying either. If they need to hire the best engineers in the business than do it. Seriously Ricoh, whatever it takes.
If Ricoh intends to stay in the ILC business I'm sure they're making this a top priority for the next generation. If not, then I can't really see where it's all going.
07-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #85
Veteran Member

I don't think some are listening....it's not what Ricoh can do, they can do anything. It is what they can do at a price their base customers can .....and will...afford.
Sure, we all want the very best of everything, and Pentax delivers in most areas and exceeds in many others. Affordable is important in the Pentax line, always has been. I call us "value shooters"....and if they make a camera to match a top line Nikon at a Nikon price...or more...where is the value?

Most of us are still shooters.....should we be denied a FF camera because of cost....... because some are not satisfied with the K1?

No one is denied any brand available, I can easily afford most any of them and so can many others, but that does not mean I should forget what fits my shooting and throw reason and value out the door. It is pretty idiotic that as an old squirrel shooter I have a FF K1.....complete insanity would dictate a Nikon Flagship with top AF-C power to shoot a bunch of damn squirrels and a few birds that hardly need any AF at all.

If it is your priority, get your cash together and buy the bestest and fastest....what is holding you back?

Regards!
07-11-2016, 11:42 AM - 2 Likes   #86
Veteran Member

I don't think some are listening....it's not what Ricoh can do, they can do anything. It is what they can do at a price their base customers can .....and will...afford.
Sure, we all want the very best of everything, and Pentax delivers in most areas and exceeds in many others. Affordable is important in the Pentax line, always has been. I call us "value shooters"....and if they make a camera to match a top line Nikon at a Nikon price...or more...where is the value?

Most of us are still shooters.....should we be denied a FF camera because of cost....... because some are not satisfied with the K1?

No one is denied any brand available, I can easily afford most any of them and so can many others, but that does not mean I should forget what fits my shooting and throw reason and value out the door. It is pretty idiotic that as an old squirrel shooter I have a FF K1.....complete insanity would dictate a Nikon Flagship with top AF-C power to shoot a bunch of damn squirrels and a few birds that hardly need any AF at all.

If it is your priority, get your cash together and buy the bestest and fastest....what is holding you back?

Regards!
if I was in the market, I would easily trade the astrotracer, video improvements, and possibly GPS for better autofocus

Randy
07-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
if I was in the market, I would easily trade the astrotracer, video improvements, and possibly GPS for better autofocus

Randy
+1 Deffo on the AF, but also video.

(EDIT: AF isn't that bad)

Last edited by HopelessTogger; 07-11-2016 at 11:50 AM.
07-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #88
Veteran Member

As I hear the complaints, I keep going back to that thread by old Norm that made absolute sense. You can't get a Mercedes with all its features in a Kia and at a Kia price. Seems pretty simple to me.
No law say you can't, in particular for technology related products, it is quite common for a brand that was well respected and seen as top of the line to fade in profit of the underdog that manage to do better for far less.

I don't think Pentax is badly positionned, they managed to produce a quite interresting product. This doesn't mean it is perfect and better for everything...
07-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Also note that AF coverage diminishes a lot on the D810 (and other Nikon FF) if you use a slow telephoto or teleconvertor
Well that still a strength to have it officially supported. That not the case for most cameras.
07-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes, that's good.

Beside that, I was out this week end shooting with my K1. So I did not see all what happened in the threads. So, far, in spite of forum discussions where folks are arguing because they want to be right, my K1 focused instantly every time. I did not find the K1 AFS to be "hesitating"n either PDAF nor LV, I've had a good time shooting :-)

---------- Post added 11-07-16 at 09:14 ----------

As a general statement, never ask the 80% of Canon/Nikon market dominance about Pentax AF, you know the answer in advance. If you own a Pentax camera, don't shoot yourself in the foot by putting Pentax down. Canon/Nikon users tend not to do this. My friend has a Canon, every time Nikon has issues with oil on sensors, he does not forget to remind everyone, however, if I say that Canon sensor DR is not so good , he'll reply "Well, really, never heard about that. In practice, I don't see any DR issue with Canon sensors".
My K3 did just fine too Pentax AF is good enough for most use. But it is not best in class by far.

But your example of Nikon typically illustrate some Pentax owner here... We see the issues of others brands, but don't accept to see the one of our own gear.