Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Looks like it's been repaired and has shipped now. Hopefully it will be functional and back in my hands soon!
Excellent news and a reasonably decent turn around time...yes the K-1 photos thread has plenty of room!

08-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Excellent news and a reasonably decent turn around time...yes the K-1 photos thread has plenty of room!
It seemed long to me but I just want to use my camera again!
08-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats! I understand the anxious period of waiting, but all things considered, I am just relieved for you to get a working camera back without major expense.
Let us know what you get and how well it was done, or replaced, etc.
Thanks for keeping us posted and letting us share your experience.
Eric
08-23-2016, 05:06 AM   #64
Pentaxian

My K-1 fell over on the tripod. Only one of screens bolts got loose. No damage on camera other than that. Was repaired in about week. Maybe I was lucky that lens took most of the shock. But not even a single scratch on the camera. So as long as it does not fall on its head, it will be just fine. My screen was fixed, and no problem since.

08-23-2016, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Congrats! I understand the anxious period of waiting, but all things considered, I am just relieved for you to get a working camera back without major expense.
Let us know what you get and how well it was done, or replaced, etc.
Thanks for keeping us posted and letting us share your experience.
Eric
It all seems to work and look like new so no complaints about the quality of the repair.
08-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Got a call from Precision yesterday. I was hopeful it was just to let me know it was ahead of schedule but instead to tell me the part is delayed and won't be there tomorrow like they had originally estimated. They hope it will come in the next week to 10 days.
The question, of course, being whether Pentax is unable to deliver or Precision is consolidating parts orders to save courier expense.
08-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The question, of course, being whether Pentax is unable to deliver or Precision is consolidating parts orders to save courier expense.
Another question is why don't they stock parts for the current flagship camera?

08-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #68
Pentaxian

It May be that they are still trying to catch up with demand of original..
08-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to hear you got it back and it seems OK. Now, everyone get rid of those tripods!
08-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maksim Quote
You know I am kind of surprised a prOfessional camera cracks from a fall.

I think the contact with a big rock at the end of the fall may have something to do with the amount of damage.

I once dropped my D700 with Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 and the lens totally locked up with the zoom function being damaged. The fall was 6 inches onto a thick shag carpet... NOW that was surprising, and not up to what I would consider a professional build. Turns out the 24-70 has a reputation for being a fragile lens.

But a 3 foot drop onto a big rock? Yea, I think that's exceeding even professional standards.
08-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That plastic top panel does seem to be this camera's achilles heel. I presume it's plastic to allow the GPS module to work but maybe on future models they can reinforce it.
I don't blame the camera for the breakage; that was clearly my fault. That being said my K-3 has taken a couple of pretty hard falls and came away relatively unscathed. Might just be pure chance but maybe it's a sign the K-1 isn't quite as tough as the K-3.
08-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad that you got your K-1 back Matt, and that it seems to be in good working order.
08-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #73
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think that is pretty much the norm for shell or chassis damage, at least per the experience of users on this site.

Steve
08-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think that is pretty much the norm for shell or chassis damage, at least per the experience of users on this site.

Steve
Right, but should it be? Do other brands have parts in stock for their current cameras? I guess I don't really know for sure but I suspect they do.
08-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right, but should it be? Do other brands have parts in stock for their current cameras? I guess I don't really know for sure but I suspect they do.
More cameras in more hands means more accidental damage. It's not hard to understand why they'd be more inclined to keep a greater stock of spares than smaller-selling brands.

You were pretty unlucky for the impact point to be on the prism housing, too, though I guess it is a prominent feature. Because of the WiFi and GPS antennas, that housing has to be, at least in part, made of a non-conductive synthetic material. Most of the dents you see on older cameras are either in the bottom plate or prism housing.