Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-09-2016, 03:02 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Cannot Achieve Infinity Focus with Rokinon 14 on K1 Body.

We had a relatively cool and clear night here in Southern CA. I took a short drive into the Cleveland National Forest, and was able to see the Milky Way at a 2500' elevation, after the moon set. Not too bad.

I was planning some test shots to compare my previous Sony A7S to my new K1; to decide which way to go. I have been shooting the A7S at night for a year or two.

however, I discovered to my horror, that my newly adquired Rokinon 14mm 2.8 would not infinity focus on the K1 body. I don't know what is happening here.

Do I have a defective lens? Probably. I need to send it back and get another.

What I could see is encouraging. Noise seemed tightly controlled for 15-25 second exposures in the 800 to 1600 ISO range. I don't want to put any images up due to the focus situation.

Also, handling on the K1 was decent, although trying to flip back and forth between two completely different layouts and contols was mind boggling.

Onr place where the Sony shined, however, was th external image display. the Sony lcd was brighter while leaving blacks intact. focusing was MUCH esier on the Sony.

07-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

How are you focusing?

Are you using Live View and running out of focus throw. In that case send the lens back. it's possible to adjust the focus ring position but you don't want to void warranty on a new lens.

Or are you just pinning the focus ring at infinity? Manufacturing tolerances (aka poor consistency) lets some Samyang/Rokinon/Bower lenses focus way beyond infinity. Use live view to find the sweet spot; focus on a bright star, or use a distant object like a tall tower during daylight hours.
07-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rcolman Quote
external image display. the Sony lcd was brighter while leaving blacks intact
You can easily adjust the K-1 rear LCD display brightness and colour settings to taste [Menu > Setup 1 > LCD Display Settings]:
- brightness level;
- colour saturation level;
- adjust blue-amber;
- adjust green-magenta;

And of course there are the 4 Outdoor View settings for the rear LCD to play with, including some night view settings.
07-10-2016, 04:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Please don't Jump threads too much........we were trying to help HERE

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/325447-roki...ml#post3706090

07-10-2016, 05:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
are you saying you cant get it to go to infinity even if you manual focus? is this a problem with your other lens?
07-10-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do you mean the infinity mark on the lens is in the wrong spot (people have fixed thid) or that it can't focus on distant objects?

07-10-2016, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Here is a link to a YouTube video (
) fixing the infinity focus and the scale on this lens. I did it a few years ago and it works perfectly if you you are ok with doing this. It's in Spanish with subtitles. My copy is perfectly calibrated now.

David

07-10-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
Here is a link to a YouTube video (How to calibrate / fix a Samyang 14mm f2.8 [SPA ENG GER FRE RUS POR JPN POL KOR CHI ARA] - YouTube) fixing the infinity focus and the scale on this lens. I did it a few years ago and it works perfectly if you you are ok with doing this. It's in Spanish with subtitles. My copy is perfectly calibrated now.

David
Nice find excellent
07-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome.

David