Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Does anybody know when the K-1 price might drop?

Using price tracker for older Pentax cameras, it looks like they dropped approx. six months after release. Any input?

Thanks!

07-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh USA reps told me that they plan to keep the K-1 at the current price throughout its production cycle, which I think is a good idea since customers can buy now without having to fear that it will drop dramatically in the short term. The 645Z follows this trend, though it got a one-time price drop a year after release. There could of course be special short-term promotions following trade shows, etc, though.

Realistically, I think the K-1 will drop if/once it receives significant pressure from the competition, but at the moment, it's priced below its value, IMO (at least in the US). If the Nikon D850 ends up costing considerably less than the D810, for example, this could warrant a reaction from Pentax. I doubt that Nikon will venture far below $2999, though, since they also have the D750.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

They won't drop the price as long as they can't keep up with the demand, that's for certain.
07-10-2016, 03:54 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Cynical answer: shortly after you buy one, whenever that may be.

07-10-2016, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Cynical answer: shortly after you buy one, whenever that may be.
Sounds like you've been studying Murphy's Law pathdoc!
07-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only Ricoh knows. And maybe they don't either.

Only a few reasons to drop the price:
- keep your product where you want it on the value curve in relation to your competitors
- move out inventory either to get ready for a new product or to keep inventory movement on schedule

At this point the K-1 is kinda king of the hill on the value curve. And currently demand seems to remain high. So not much incentive for price dropping. In the past Ricoh has started with very high pricing (sometimes way too high like the k-01) and then dropped the price as they saw what sales were. For the k-1 they seem to have gone in a different direction by releasing it at an extremely attractive price and hinting that the price was going to remain stable. This makes sense for a 'professional' product where knowing replacement costs might be important whereas a consumer camera is going to devalue fairly soon as new products come out.

Bottom line: don't hold your breath for a price drop.
07-10-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Ricoh USA reps told me that they plan to keep the K-1 at the current price throughout its production cycle, which I think is a good idea since customers can buy now without having to fear that it will drop dramatically in the short term. The 645Z follows this trend, though it got a one-time price drop a year after release. There could of course be special short-term promotions following trade shows, etc, though.

Realistically, I think the K-1 will drop if/once it receives significant pressure from the competition, but at the moment, it's priced below its value, IMO (at least in the US). If the Nikon D850 ends up costing considerably less than the D810, for example, this could warrant a reaction from Pentax. I doubt that Nikon will venture far below $2999, though, since they also have the D750.

Thanks Adam! You are probably right. It is already priced very low for sure.
I noticed the 100mm 2.8 macro WR went up by $150 after hovering around $399 for along time.

I suppose demand is way up for Pentax full frame glass

Thanks for everybody's input!

07-10-2016, 11:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From the price evolution of previous camera body, you can expect the price of the K1 to drop by $200 or $300 within the next couple of years. In the USA, the price of the K1 is already low for what the K1 offers. Is it worth waiting one or two years? Not sure, because in one year you already can enjoy that camera.
07-11-2016, 01:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I dont think that the price will drop as we are "used" to have it with the APS-C cameras, as long as people keep buying the K1, and as long as Ricoh is having the production of the this camera and not releasing or announcing the sucessor it wont drop, as other users said, it might have some promos, but thats it... same as the new glass, it will keep the same price as long as the market keeps demanding the products at a reasonable rate.