Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

All the reviews pretty much say the same thing.

Excellent Image Quality in RAW and Pixel Shift is amazing for the people who can use it.
Loaded with features for the money. Best Value of any FF camera given the features.
Great ergonomics and build quality.

Competitive AF lens line-up is weak.
C-AF is weak - Two generation behind the big boys.
Frame Rate and Buffer are weak.
4K/HD Video is basically minimal - Not even worth reviewing.
JPEG engine is still behind the competition - Maybe on par with Sony and Panasonic, but definitely behind Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, & Canon.
Menus are not the best. Existing Pentax users will never notice, but when users of other brands try it.... they could be better.

Even with the poor C-AF performance I love the camera and the RAW files. Its a camera that is loaded with features and controls and I'm still learning how to take advantage of all of them. The learning curve for someone not familiar with Pentax will be steep if they really want to master everything the camera can do.

07-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's if you consider list prices and buy lenses and camera one at a time :-) . When considering the purchase of the full Pentax full frame lineup, there may be way to get off the official list prices. I don't know if I can tell here, but I got the full Pentax FF lineup for a super price, so I'm in heaven, I can't be happier. I'd like to thank Ricoh for their products and willingness to please customers :-)
If it is repeatable for everybody here, and you can get a signfiicant discount if you buy many things togethers... and such strategies would not work on Canikon gear, or not as well. Then yes.

But I would think there no reason this kind of stuff is only available under Pentax brand. Giving discount when you buy a lot is quite common.
07-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Menus are not the best. Existing Pentax users will never notice, but when users of other brands try it.... they could be better.
Maybe I am a product of Pentax menus, but I find them intuitive, quite condensed while powerfull in their settings. I also find the possibilities provided by the dial modes to be quite powerful.

The thing is, even if your meny are not so great, you adapt, but even if you change for better, more intuitive menu objectively, you are lost.

As speaking of menus as an example in another context. The latest trend in user interface is to make everything graphical. Latest desktop application have hidden or even no menus at all. I hate that. This may be more intuitive to new user but menu have the advantage to display all the options wit a descriptive text together with keyboard shortcuts.

The lastest office version (that I no choice but to use at work) hide most of the features I used before, I have to customize the toolbar to add the possibility spending hours of searching over the net and learning for something that just worked before. I must be a dinosaur... But this is just to say, that people don't like change and that simplicity is not always the most efficiant.
07-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I must be a dinosaur...
You are not alone. The current GUI design trend - from MS Office to mobile handsets - is a disaster for usability, consistency, user training, support, and productivity. Every app masks routine functionality, every app looks and works differently from the other. Ugh.

Bring back Common User Access/ SAA standards, I say.

07-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Maybe I am a product of Pentax menus, but I find them intuitive, quite condensed while powerfull in their settings. I also find the possibilities provided by the dial modes to be quite powerful.

The thing is, even if your meny are not so great, you adapt, but even if you change for better, more intuitive menu objectively, you are lost.

As speaking of menus as an example in another context. The latest trend in user interface is to make everything graphical. Latest desktop application have hidden or even no menus at all. I hate that. This may be more intuitive to new user but menu have the advantage to display all the options wit a descriptive text together with keyboard shortcuts.

The lastest office version (that I no choice but to use at work) hide most of the features I used before, I have to customize the toolbar to add the possibility spending hours of searching over the net and learning for something that just worked before. I must be a dinosaur... But this is just to say, that people don't like change and that simplicity is not always the most efficiant.
Of the many cameras I have tried I find Pentax the best menu system, Panasonic the second best, Nikon perhaps third, and waaaaay down the line Canon the worst. Olympus is close to the bottom also.

Granted I started out with Pentax in the Digital era (point and shoot to start with). But each time another camera comes along I give it chance. Nikon is reasonable and understandable... Canon is alien. Perhaps this is related to the similarity to what I expect but Panasonic is very different and yet logical and understandable.

As for graphic UI ADA requirements in the USA require that there are underlying navigation means that are not dependent on sight so there are ways around it to a degree for sites that comply.