Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #1

M42 Lens file mgt

Hi - I have a number of lenses which don't automatically save lens metadata - what is the best way to do this on the K1 - I see the folders capability and the file naming - but folders don't automatically save info against the file - so when you import its another thing to think about; and the file naming - you have to name manually each time. It would be good to be able to save a list of name prefixes for when you swap out your lenses. This would make it much better for me - as i'm continually looking at photos and thinking - which lens did I use for that ? - would be a simple UI update which would be much appreciated by me - and probably other people too ! I'd also like to set custom text metadata in the User presets (U1-U5) as then I can just twist to the lens I'm using and its all automatically set.

Last edited by pizzamaker74; 07-11-2016 at 06:43 PM.
07-11-2016, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can also filter by focal length, since the SR focal length does get saved. If you use a slightly different setting for each lens, you can keep track of them that way.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I manually write the metadata for my non-AF lenses and film scans using ExifTool in conjunction with ExifToolGUI. Phil Harvey's ExifTool is an open source command line program offering extremely broad and up-to-date camera and lens support. In addition to being able to read the metadata from almost any camera, it also supports editing of all legal fields along with batch writes. Adding ExifToolGUI to the mix makes the process all the more convenient.

The ExifTool Web site:

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

The Windows executable (all most windows users need):

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/exiftool-10.22.zip

The Web site also provides links to an OS-X installer as well as the Perl library version.

ExifToolGUI is a separate program that provides a handy interface for Windows users. To use ExifToolGUI, you need to also have ExifTool.

ExifToolGUI Web site:

ExifToolGUI

The GUI is officially an inactive project, but the author has been making periodic updates and the program works fine with current versions of ExifTool. I use it on both Windows 10 and Windows 7. There is a download link on the Web site, but finding the actual link requires a bit of drilling beyond that. The real download page is:

Latest ExiftoolGUI version 5.16

Enjoy!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-11-2016 at 07:07 PM.