Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is the lens used in DPR K1 review for the low light test a Sigma A35mm f1.4?

Hi all. Please correct me if I am incorrect, but I thought I saw that DPR used a Sigma Art 35mm f1.4 lens for the low light AF test of the K1 and they said that the camera was hesitant to make a lock on the subject(a band scene that was dimly lit). I have read sporatic reports of that lens sometimes doing just that from other users, Pentax as well as Nikon and Canon. Do you think that may of been the issue here? It certainly is not a problem with all the lenses, but what if that happened here, esp. as many have pointed out that the K1 has a swift sure low light AF lock with other lenses. What do you all think?

David

07-12-2016, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma lenses seem to be hit and miss. Some users report issues, others don't. Could be sample variation, user error, or some sort of bug in the lens firmware.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-13-2016, 03:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That could easily explain DPR's low light findings in their review, a simple error in the hardware.

David
07-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My Sigma 35 f1.4 has a mind of it's own with regard to AF on K-3 and K-1 (albeit to a lesser extent). Overall, a very inconsistent performer.

They should have used a Pentax lens - eg the FA 50 f1.4 or DA 55 f1.4. All would have been extensively tested by Ricoh on K-1's during development.

07-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is what concerns me about that portion of the DPR review. If it is that lens on the K1 that is the issue, and that is a third party lens, it invalidates the review. As a scientist myself that is just improper procedure. They should of tried a Pentax lens to see if the issue was still there.

David