Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 12:50 AM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 62
K1 Sensor

Does anyone know if this statement, from an article referenced here, is correct:

The sensor in the Pentax K-1 is the same one found in the well-regarded Sony a7R, with great dynamic range and color accuracy.

???

07-13-2016, 01:06 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,979
QuoteOriginally posted by rcolman Quote
Does anyone know if this statement, from an article referenced here, is correct:

The sensor in the Pentax K-1 is the same one found in the well-regarded Sony a7R, with great dynamic range and color accuracy.

???
Pentax has been using Sony sensors lately, so it's most likely an adapted version of the same sensor, but the image processing unit is Pentax-specific.

That said, I don't think the specific sensor model used in the K-1 has been officially revealed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: traverse city MI
Posts: 330
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax has been using Sony sensors lately, so it's most likely an adapted version of the same sensor, but the image processing unit is Pentax-specific.

That said, I don't think the specific sensor model used in the K-1 has been officially revealed.
Adam you are much better at this stuff than I and maybe we are saying the same thing but I was under the impression that it was the same sensor that is in the D800 with Pentax processor.
07-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
npc
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 305
This is the link to what sensors (for cameras) sony currently has for general sale : Sony Global - Products
The 36mp FF sensor is listed as "IMX094".
I've seen pictures of the actual sensor in D800 and it says "IMX094AQP" so the "AQP" part should label the specific variation of IMX094 used there. My guess is that the 810, A7R, K-1 all use some later IMX094xxx variants of the sensor

07-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,979
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Adam you are much better at this stuff than I and maybe we are saying the same thing but I was under the impression that it was the same sensor that is in the D800 with Pentax processor.
I think they are all variants of the same chip. In terms of performance the D800 and the K-1 are neck and neck.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, pentax k-1, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eclipse E2 Does Not Work Well On K1 Sensor Fenwoodian Pentax K-1 13 07-10-2016 07:51 PM
To K1 or not K1 - that is the question? interested_observer Pentax K-1 52 06-25-2016 11:05 PM
K1, K-mount and Samyang autofocus lenses TheGamer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 05-14-2016 03:21 AM
What sensor does the K1 Use? PhilRich Pentax Full Frame 18 05-12-2016 06:24 AM
Will you leave APS-C for the K1? SteveM Pentax Full Frame 95 02-21-2016 07:00 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top