Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter

exposure compensation

What does this mean, from the "setup guide"?

(5) Memory

Uncheck exposure compensation unless you exclusively shoot with manual lenses.

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

07-13-2016, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rcolman Quote
What does this mean, from the "setup guide"?

(5) Memory

Uncheck exposure compensation unless you exclusively shoot with manual lenses.

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews
You can have the camera remember certain things when you turn it off and back on. If you were in a tricky lighting situation and used exposure compensation, you might forget the next time you turn the camera on that its set to -3ev or something and wonder why all your photos are so underexposed. You can uncheck the "remember exposure compensation" so that it resets to 0ev every time you turn the camera on.
07-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
You can have the camera remember certain things when you turn it off and back on. If you were in a tricky lighting situation and used exposure compensation, you might forget the next time you turn the camera on that its set to -3ev or something and wonder why all your photos are so underexposed. You can uncheck the "remember exposure compensation" so that it resets to 0ev every time you turn the camera on.
What he said ^ ^ ^

As for the part in the original advice about "unless you exclusively shoot with manual lenses", I haven't a clue. I shoot with a wide variety of lenses and have never used a constant exposure compensation with so-called manual lenses.*

That being said, there is a bit of folklore, going back many years, related to stop-down metering.** By way of background, Pentax dSLRs as with those from other brands, suffer from various degrees of inaccuracy when doing stop-down metering. The reasons are complex (related to focus screen optimization) and the actual behavior even more so. The problem was fairly severe with my K10D (released 2006), but has become much less so on models from the K-7 (2009) to present. There was extensive discussion on this site several years ago regarding both causes and coping strategies, but with improvements to the metering system discussion on the topic is fairly rare now.

Despite the lack of attention, to this day, it is not unusual to read something like this on a forum post, "The inaccuracy is no problem, I simply set exposure compensation to correct for the bias." This may work for some users. The problem is that the inaccuracy, while sort of predictable, is usually not a simple bias that you can set exposure compensation for and forget. Whether the meter reading is higher or lower than the expected value varies according to the set aperture and according to the lens being used. For example, +2 exposure compensation set for f/2.8 on my Jupiter-9 85/2 would be about right. Stopping down the same lens to f/5.6 would require no compensation. If I am shooting with the J-9, I just work at f/5.6 in Av mode and forget about it. I may use exposure compensation wide open with that lens, but would definitely not want the value to be retained for my next session. I have also been known to use a hand-held meter and M mode in preference to the built-in meter.

Steve

* The term "manual lens" is pretty loose. In this context, it would apply to any lens that does not support open aperture metering on a Pentax dSLR (i.e. no "A" contacts on the mount face).

** Stop-down metering includes any technique where the meter reading is made with the lens stopped down. This includes green button (instantaneous) metering in M mode and manual aperture (continuous) metering in Av mode.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-13-2016 at 10:37 AM.