Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2016, 05:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mirror Lock Up on K1

Does anyone find the mirror lock up with remote a little awkward to use? After taking the photo I press the shutter release to exit that mode, but it hesitates and sometimes I have to push it again. It appears that I must exit the mode to make any exposure changes between shots. Also, since mirror lock up is not available with live view, does that mean when using live view the mirror is automatically locked up? The manual is not very clear on these issues. Any thoughts?

07-14-2016, 05:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
Does anyone find the mirror lock up with remote a little awkward to use? After taking the photo I press the shutter release to exit that mode, but it hesitates and sometimes I have to push it again. It appears that I must exit the mode to make any exposure changes between shots. Also, since mirror lock up is not available with live view, does that mean when using live view the mirror is automatically locked up? The manual is not very clear on these issues. Any thoughts?
I don't have the K-1 yet, I will receive it on Monday. But on my K5IIs I'm using the 2s delay timer, as it includes the MLU (pops the mirror up when you push the button and opens the shutter 2 seconds later).

You may need something else, though.
07-14-2016, 05:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I don't have the K-1 yet, I will receive it on Monday. But on my K5IIs I'm using the 2s delay timer, as it includes the MLU (pops the mirror up when you push the button and opens the shutter 2 seconds later).

You may need something else, though.
I used the same technique on my K200D, but on the K1 the mirror does not appear to lock up with the two second setting.
07-14-2016, 06:01 AM   #4

I used the same technique on my K200D, but on the K1 the mirror does not appear to lock up with the two second setting.
Mirror lockup is in the drive menu under M.UP

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-1-review/drive-modes.html

07-14-2016, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I have used MUP for nearly 95% of my landscape images for the last 10 years.

Mirror Lock-up functions like this:

After selecting exposure settings, you depress the remote trigger once to lock up the mirror. The camera then beeps (if audible signals are selected in menus), but it WILL NOT capture an image until..... Upon depressing the remote trigger a SECOND time, the image is captured. (You can also substitute a shutter button press for a remote trigger, but that defeats the purpose of the MUP mode). Once the image is captured, you can do anything you want. I will check my histogram and make changes as needed. BUT do NOT press the shutter or remote!

After taking the photo I press the shutter release to exit that mode, but it hesitates and sometimes I have to push it again
What you have done in the above is begin the two stage sequence for capturing ANOTHER image

If you have depressed the remote only once in the sequence, the only way to abort is to turn off the camera, or complete the sequence with a second trigger.

MUP does not work in live view, because the mirror is already up. I think there was a discussion in another thread at some point as to why you can't just do an image capture in live view without the mirror going down and then back up again. I don't do much live view shooting, but I've just created a work flow that exits LV before taking an image.

The 2s timer does NOT lock up the mirror prior to taking an image, so it is a different function.

MUP is designed to allow time for vibrations of the camera caused by the mirror raising to subside before taking an image. For many landscape shooters this is critical, especially in long exposures. The 2s mode would still transmit mirror vibrations because the image is captured immediately after the mirror raises. It's not JUST about tripod vibrations.

I also use MUP mode on windy days because you need to time shutter actuations between gusts on longer exposures. Others use it for staged wildlife shots from a blind.

FWIW, the 2s delay mode has a nickname in my circle, we call it "Selfie Mode". It has an entirely different purpose than MUP.

Last edited by nomadkng; 07-14-2016 at 07:49 AM.
07-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #6

I find mirror lock up straight forward enough. The first press locks up the mirror. The second press trips the shutter. I have no trouble changing settings between shots, nor do I have to exit that mode to do so.

And yes the 2 second delay does lock up the mirror as in the other cameras. One can hear the mirror go up and then the shutter click about two seconds later.

As for live view, I don't think it locks up the mirror. It didn't in the other cameras and there seems to be the extra sound of the mirror flap. But, 2 second delay is available and that does seem to lock up the mirror.
07-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I have used MUP for nearly 95% of my landscape images for the last 10 years.

Mirror Lock-up functions like this:

After selecting exposure settings, you depress the remote trigger once to lock up the mirror. The camera then beeps (if audible signals are selected in menus), but it WILL NOT capture an image until..... Upon depressing the remote trigger a SECOND time, the image is captured. (You can also substitute a shutter button press for a remote trigger, but that defeats the purpose of the MUP mode). Once the image is captured, you can do anything you want. I will check my histogram and make changes as needed. BUT do NOT press the shutter or remote!

What you have done in the above is begin the two stage sequence for capturing ANOTHER image

If you have depressed the remote only once in the sequence, the only way to abort is to turn off the camera, or complete the sequence with a second trigger.

MUP does not work in live view, because the mirror is already up. I think there was a discussion in another thread at some point as to why you can't just do an image capture in live view without the mirror going down and then back up again. I don't do much live view shooting, but I've just created a work flow that exits LV before taking an image.

The 2s timer does NOT lock up the mirror prior to taking an image, so it is a different function.

MUP is designed to allow time for vibrations of the camera caused by the mirror raising to subside before taking an image. For many landscape shooters this is critical, especially in long exposures. The 2s mode would still transmit mirror vibrations because the image is captured immediately after the mirror raises. It's not JUST about tripod vibrations.

I also use MUP mode on windy days because you need to time shutter actuations between gusts on longer exposures. Others use it for staged wildlife shots from a blind.

FWIW, the 2s delay mode has a nickname in my circle, we call it "Selfie Mode". It has an entirely different purpose than MUP.
2s selftimer do lock the mirror up, then 2 seconds and then taking the image.

07-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So when using the remote with MLU I must hit it a second time after the photo is taken to exit?

Getting some conflicting info here.

Sundr, are you using MLU with the K1?

Last edited by sibyrnes; 07-14-2016 at 08:22 AM.
07-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

So when using the remote with MLU I must hit it a second time after the photo is taken to exit?

Getting some conflicting info here.
When you select MUP mode from the menu, the red remote light starts blinking, but the camera is waiting for you to press the shutter/remote. Nothing is happening.

MUP is then a two button/shutter press process.

Press the remote/shutter ONCE----- The mirror is now up but NOT image has been taken
Press the shutter/remote a second time--- The image is captured and the mirror comes down.

The camera is now in stasis, with the blinking light, but it is doing nothing. you can change setting etc. If you press the remote/shutter AGAIN, you've started the 2-step process.
07-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #10

The first press locks up the mirror. The second press takes the picture. If you mean by exit turning off mirror lock up mode, you do that in the drive mode selection not with the shutter button.
Yes I'm using a k1 and I'm not contradicting the other response. I'm just putting it more simply.

Last edited by sundr; 07-14-2016 at 08:33 AM.
07-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
2s selftimer do lock the mirror up, then 2 seconds and then taking the image.
Fair enough, I stand corrected. That was not the case for many many years which is when I started using MUP mode.

I was not aware that that functionality had changed.

I'll probably still continue to use MUP because I want to tell the camera when to take the image, not have it exactly 2 or 12 seconds after remote trigger.
07-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
When you select MUP mode from the menu, the red remote light starts blinking, but the camera is waiting for you to press the shutter/remote. Nothing is happening.

MUP is then a two button/shutter press process.

Press the remote/shutter ONCE----- The mirror is now up but NOT image has been taken
Press the shutter/remote a second time--- The image is captured and the mirror comes down.

The camera is now in stasis, with the blinking light, but it is doing nothing. you can change setting etc. If you press the remote/shutter AGAIN, you've started the 2-step process.
Thanks, I think I see what I was doing wrong. When I saw the blinking light I thought the camera was ready for the shot.

So, does Live View lock up the mirror and does the 2 second timer lock the mirror? That seems to be the conflicting opinions here.

Last edited by sibyrnes; 07-14-2016 at 08:44 AM.
07-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #13

nomadkng described it correctly. The mirror does come down in live view but I think we're in agreement now that 2 second delay does lock up the mirror.
07-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
The mirror does come down in live view but I think we're in agreement now that 2 second delay does lock up the mirror.
???? I don't own a K-1, but what you describe for live view is a break with existing behavior on the K-3/K-3II. For LV exposure, the mirror should stay up while the shutter resets* and the exposure is made. This is easy enough to determine by having one's eye to the optical viewfinder when making the exposure against a bright light. If the mirror drops, it should be visible as a flash of light in the viewfinder at both beginning and end of exposure.

That being said, there is still an advantage to using the 2s delay when doing LV shooting from a tripod. The first is that doing so turns off the SR function. The second is that the shutter reset has potential to introduce vibration and adding the delay helps.

Steve

* It is easy to confuse the shutter reset with mirror down/up. The difference is that the former is much more gentle.
07-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are correct stevebrot! When I first posted I did not have my camera in front of me but after doing some tests I have come to the following conclusions. When the two second timer is engaged, you CANNOT see through the viewfinder, confirming that the mirror is locked up. With live view, you CANNOT see through the view finder, confirming that the mirror is locked up. Also, you can hear the mirror locking up when LV is engaged. Thanks everyone for your input and I appreciate it, but wouldn't it be nice to have some sort of documentation that explains this stuff for us?