Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
MikePlunkett's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 49
K-1 First Impressions and First Shots

So I've had a very short time to play around with the K-1 and take a few test pictures. First impressions are...I love it!!!

The weight and feel of it in the hand are absolutely perfectly balanced, especially with the D-FA 28-105mm on the front. The controls are intuitive and easy to pick up for a Pentax user and the new mode dial on the top plate is absolutely inspired. I also love the articulated screen, which I have used already and it just feels...right!

Things I don't like? Well I think it's rather mean of Pentax not to include a USB cable in the box. Yes they're ten a penny, but that's all the more reason to include one. After taking my first batch of shots I found myself frantically hunting for one which was not ideal. Also the back AF button seems small and awkwardly placed compared to the one on the K-5. I am sure that I will get used to this over time, but right now it's taking a bit of adjusting to.

So, the shots...

This is actually a case of third time lucky. With the first two attempts Lightroom refused to read the files (turned out to be a corrupted SD card) and so this was taken at about 21:00 in fading light but I still think it's pretty good for hand held with a camera I've barely used. I've included the whole image and a 100% crop of the flower (I think!) the AF locked onto. All in all I really like this camera and can tell I'm going to get a lot of pleasure out of it. It's first big test will come on Saturday when I take it to the Farnborough Air Show

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-14-2016, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,262
A new camera for you to enjoy.
07-14-2016, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,887
Very nice and thanks for sharing your joy with the new camera... definitely something for me to look forward to when I upgrade the k-1. I don't get the impression that you had the focus nailed, perhaps you might want to check the focus accuracy of the lens, which I think should be very nice according to reviews.
07-14-2016, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Senior Member
Medex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 205
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePlunkett Quote
So I've had a very short time to play around with the K-1 and take a few test pictures. First impressions are...I love it!!!

The weight and feel of it in the hand are absolutely perfectly balanced, especially with the D-FA 28-105mm on the front. The controls are intuitive and easy to pick up for a Pentax user and the new mode dial on the top plate is absolutely inspired. I also love the articulated screen, which I have used already and it just feels...right!

Things I don't like? Well I think it's rather mean of Pentax not to include a USB cable in the box. Yes they're ten a penny, but that's all the more reason to include one. After taking my first batch of shots I found myself frantically hunting for one which was not ideal. Also the back AF button seems small and awkwardly placed compared to the one on the K-5. I am sure that I will get used to this over time, but right now it's taking a bit of adjusting to.

So, the shots...

This is actually a case of third time lucky. With the first two attempts Lightroom refused to read the files (turned out to be a corrupted SD card) and so this was taken at about 21:00 in fading light but I still think it's pretty good for hand held with a camera I've barely used. I've included the whole image and a 100% crop of the flower (I think!) the AF locked onto. All in all I really like this camera and can tell I'm going to get a lot of pleasure out of it. It's first big test will come on Saturday when I take it to the Farnborough Air Show
"All in all I really like this camera and can tell I'm going to get a lot of pleasure out of it."

You will get it
Here is a 3 Mpix out of 36 Mpix crop. Sharpened in LR. Shot handheld


Last edited by Medex; 03-11-2017 at 04:09 AM.
07-15-2016, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 870
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePlunkett Quote
It's first big test will come on Saturday when I take it to the Farnborough Air Show
I will be there too on Saturday!

I wonder how many K-1s there will be there? I've taken mine to several airshows, and I've never yet seen anyone else with one.
07-15-2016, 01:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
MikePlunkett's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 49
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I will be there too on Saturday!

I wonder how many K-1s there will be there? I've taken mine to several airshows, and I've never yet seen anyone else with one.
Well two at least

I took my K-5 to several airshows, including RIAT a couple of times and I don't think I ever saw another Pentax which was a shame. Did see a lot of Sigma 150-500s though, which is what I'll have on the front of my K-1 tomorrow.

---------- Post added 07-15-16 at 09:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Very nice and thanks for sharing your joy with the new camera... definitely something for me to look forward to when I upgrade the k-1. I don't get the impression that you had the focus nailed, perhaps you might want to check the focus accuracy of the lens, which I think should be very nice according to reviews.
You're right, the focus wasn't perfect (the plant was on a bicycle riding towards me ) and I will look into calibrating the lens. Definitely want to get things as good as I possibly can.
07-15-2016, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,608
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePlunkett Quote
Also the back AF button seems small and awkwardly placed compared to the one on the K-5. I am sure that I will get used to this over time, but right now it's taking a bit of adjusting to.
What is the purpose of the back AF button? Why not just use the shutter button?
07-15-2016, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #8
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,388
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
What is the purpose of the back AF button? Why not just use the shutter button?
See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/236970-perfect-...everytime.html

07-15-2016, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 79
My K1 was at the Farnborough airshow yesterday :-)

Not surprisingly, it was unique amongst the canikon throng...

Hope the weather works for you!

PS the K1 was pretty good at nailing rivets on flying aircraft - don't think the AF naysayers are valid with all their criticism - though admitedly not the most testing circumstances. I'll post pictures when I'm back at my pc.

*Edit*

Full resolution JPG
Airbus Widebodies
Pentax F50mm f1.4
1/250 f7.1 ISO100


Full resolution JPG
Pentax DA* 200mm f2.8
1/1000 f8.0 ISO640


Full resolution JPG
Pentax DA* 200mm f2.8
1/500 f6.3 ISO250


Full resolution JPG
Pentax DA* 200mm f2.8
1/500 f6.3 ISO100

Last edited by phoebus; 07-15-2016 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Add photos
07-18-2016, 01:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
MikePlunkett's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 49
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
My K1 was at the Farnborough airshow yesterday :-)

Not surprisingly, it was unique amongst the canikon throng...

Hope the weather works for you!

PS the K1 was pretty good at nailing rivets on flying aircraft - don't think the AF naysayers are valid with all their criticism - though admitedly not the most testing circumstances. I'll post pictures when I'm back at my pc.
Those are some very nice shots! I was there on the Saturday afternoon and the conditions were not ideal - lots of overcast which made for some fairly awkward lighting conditions for airborne targets, and an overheating wife and two small children meant I didn't get down to the static display proper (we found a very convenient marquee set up by Brooklands Museum that kept the wife in the shade and the kids entertained).

I wasn't the only Pentax in sight - I saw a couple of other users - but I was the only K-1, at least as far as I could tell. Overall the camera did pretty well, especially given that it was the first time I'd really used it. I'm still processing the pictures that I took (994 shots taken in total, 176 selected for further attention!) but there are some that are absolutely tack sharp and which I am extremely pleased with. Hopefully I shall be able to post the best ones here in the next couple of days.
07-18-2016, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,916
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePlunkett Quote
(994 shots taken in total, 176 selected for further attention!)
Quick question:
994 shots, did you have to change battery for that or was that on one charge?
07-18-2016, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian
hoopsontoast's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 828
Nice shots, I was at the FIA earlier in the week, I was walking around the halls and on the Rolls Royce stand, an American came up and asked if I was enjoying my K-1, he had not seen another in the wild!

I've not processed them but the K-1 and FA43 is a cracking combo, and the D-FA28-105 came in handy with the weather!
07-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #13
Site Supporter
MikePlunkett's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 49
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Quick question:
994 shots, did you have to change battery for that or was that on one charge?
I didn't have to change battery although I did towards the end as the one I started with was getting low so was swapped out on a "better safe than sorry" basis.

Last edited by MikePlunkett; 07-18-2016 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Added emphasis for clarity
07-18-2016, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,608
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePlunkett Quote
I didn't have to change battery although I did towards the end as the one I started with was getting low so was swapped out on a "better safe than sorry" basis.
Ah yes, the "tactical reload".
07-18-2016, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 929
Welcome to the K1 family!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
airshows, camera, details, dslr, focus, full frame, full-frame, hand, image, impressions, iso, k-1, k-1 first impressions, k1, lens, love, pentax, pentax k-1, photos, plane, sensor, test, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-1 Hands-on First Impressions PF Staff Homepage & Official Pentax News 3 03-18-2016 08:31 PM
dpreview first impressions of K-1 Newfie Pentax K-1 73 02-22-2016 08:28 AM
MX-1 in the Texas Hill Country - First Shots & First Impressions DDWD10 Pentax Compact Cameras 3 02-17-2014 07:12 AM
K-3 - my first impressions and shots mattb123 Pentax K-3 2 11-08-2013 02:58 PM
Misc First shots with my first film SLR, Pentax MX and M 50 1.7 LeDave Post Your Photos! 6 10-06-2012 05:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top