Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #46
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
You have to set the ISO and aperture manually both on the camera and on the flash controls, as there's no communication of these settings between flash and camera in Auto-flash mode .

There's a full run-down of this mode, including flash exposure control, on pages 80-81 of my Guide ... Please download it from my sig below and take a look. I'd be glad to know if you find any differences between what I describe for Pentax flashes and your new Metz .....

Thank you very much. I downloaded your book and reading it now.

In short, you are confirming that 'Auto' mode in flash does the following

1) Use a light meter in the flash
2) Use the aperture and ISO value manually entered on the flash (In P-TTL mode, it gets these values from the camera - In 'Auto' mode there is no communication of the settings from camera and flash) and calculate the correct intensity needed
3) Adjust the intensity of the light from the flash

Based on this, I am even wondering the usefulness of the 'Auto' mode in flash (I admit that my knowledge in this subject is less and I could be wrong).

-Emsee

07-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Hi Emsee .... thats a fair summary you give there. The flash in Auto 'A' mode can calculate the expected flash power based on the input ISO and aperture figures. What it lacks is the subject distance, plus the subjects reflectivity (how much light it will reflect or absorb). This is assessed during the exposure (there's no pre-flash as in P-TTL), and as soon as enought light has reached the flash, the power is cut.

The main usefullness these days is, I'd say, for using Manual lenses .... P-TTL is only compatible with Autofocus lenses, and also requires the aperture coupling in order to pass the information between lens, camera and flash. So 'Auto' A flash mode gives us some automation when using all those old lenses, of any type, as it does not depend on communication between flash and camera.

With P-TTL, the autofocus lens aspects (knowing what AF points are active) , plus additional contacts in the mount, pass extra information to the flash metering system about the subjects distance, and this should offer more accurate exposure assessments.
07-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote

Based on this, I am even wondering the usefulness of the 'Auto' mode in flash (I admit that my knowledge in this subject is less and I could be wrong).

-Emsee
The newer Pentax flashes do leave it out, Emsee.

But for manual shooters it has its specific uses. With some legacy lenses it's in fact the best option.
07-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #49
Pentaxian

The new firmware versions are available on the Metz website:
Flash units: Metz

07-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The new firmware versions are available on the Metz website:
Flash units: Metz
I checked yesterday and there was nothing... but today yes.
07-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Me too
08-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #52

Hi, I installed v5.0 oftware on my 58 AF-2, it works it zooms however when focusing the K-1 still uses its own focus light rather than the red LED on the front of the flash and also the flashes LCD back light does not come on when the camera turns on or it meters, is this normal for now? Thanks

Last edited by StationX; 08-11-2016 at 01:18 PM.
08-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StationX Quote
Hi, I installed v5.0 oftware on my 58 AF-2, it works it zooms however when focusing the K-1 still uses its own focus light rather than the red LED on the front of the flash and also the flashes LCD back light does not come on when the camera turns on or it metres, is this normal for now? Thanks
Is still active the AF aid on the flash?, i kind of remember that it could be deactivate in the menus, maybe they ere reset in the update

08-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Is still active the AF aid on the flash?, i kind of remember that it could be deactivate in the menus, maybe they ere reset in the update
The AF aid on the flash is not active but the green one in the camera still is.
08-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #55
Pentaxian

The AF aid on the flash is not active but the green one in the camera still is.
I will see what happens on my K1+58-2 tonight, i remember using it with the K30, but i dont remember see it on the K3 or the K1... maybe if you turn off the assist light in the camera menu it can force the asist beam in the flash?

08-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #56

Thanks virusn3t I can't see an entry in the flashes menu for it, I turned it off in the camera menu and it just turns off it's own assist light, I have the K-5 IIs & on it the flashes AF assist works and whenever I focus/meter the LCD backlight on the flash also lights up, on the K-1 it doesn't, on the plus side the flash exposes correctly ... I have firmware v1.10 on the K-1.
08-11-2016, 09:45 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Thanks virusn3t I can't see an entry in the flashes menu for it, I turned it off in the camera menu and it just turns off it's own assist light, I have the K-5 IIs & on it the flashes AF assist works and whenever I focus/meter the LCD backlight on the flash also lights up, on the K-1 it doesn't, on the plus side the flash exposes correctly ... I have firmware v1.10 on the K-1.
I just put myself to play with the setup, but im unable to make the Flash use the beam to help, even in the SB (spot beam) mode when the flash dont fire the light, only the red grid (usefull when you cant use flash but is too dark for the camera to focus fast, im talking to you K30!! :v ). Im thinking in make the proper email to Metz to see if they can repair the issue via firmware.
08-12-2016, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I just put myself to play with the setup, but im unable to make the Flash use the beam to help, ...
FWIW, the K-1 does not even use the AF-assist on the older AF 360/540 FGZ flash models. It only uses the new LED light on the AF 360/540 FGZ II flashes.

I don't regard this as an improvement.

The only recourse Metz may have is to emulate FGZ II behaviour, but that may make the flashes incompatible with older cameras that still work with the Metz and/or FGZ AF-assist lights.
08-12-2016, 02:36 AM   #59

So this is not peculiar to my K-1 and 58 AF-2. Now my view of the situation is essentially it does work but reports of it being "fully functional" are wrong, as the AF assist and LCD backlights do not work, perhaps either/or both K-1 and 58 AF-2 need another Software update to achieve that full functionality.

---------- Post added 08-12-16 at 02:53 AM ----------

PS as the K-1 has GPS instead of a built in flash (no trigger for off camera flash) there will be a problem using the flash off the camera, many say "Get your flash off your camera", to help with this I have ordered up one of these, which also allows PTTL, off camera...

Meike MK-PT01 TTL Sync Cords flash Light off-camera Cable Pentax Camera Flashgun | eBay
08-12-2016, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
FWIW, the K-1 does not even use the AF-assist on the older AF 360/540 FGZ flash models. It only uses the new LED light on the AF 360/540 FGZ II flashes.

I don't regard this as an improvement.

The only recourse Metz may have is to emulate FGZ II behaviour, but that may make the flashes incompatible with older cameras that still work with the Metz and/or FGZ AF-assist lights.
I recieve an answer, but i think they arentnt good news

*Disclaimer: I contacted via the their spanish webpage.

" Dear Mr. Jimenez,
Many thanks for your e-mail as of 12. Aug. 2016.

I am sorry my Spanish is not as good as it should. Therefore I answer in English.

Basically the flash unit mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital for Pentax also can be used together with the digital-camera Pentax K-1. Thereby the flash unit has to be updated to firmware version 5.0. If the flash unit was updated the firmware version is displayed after switching on of the flash unit. In this case the flash unit shows "58AF-2 Pen V5.0" below the Metz logo.

If the flash unit is loaded with the version 5.0 the flash functions of the Pentax K-1 such as the P-TTL-flash-mode will be enabled. However, unfortunately the Pentax K-1 isn’t equipped with the control of the autofocus-measuring beam of an external flash unit. Therefore the AF-measuring beam of the flash unit mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital and also of the comparable flash units from Pentax such as AF540FGZ und AF360FGZ isn’t controlled by the camera. Normally the Pentax K-1 works with the built-in AF-measuring beam. This can’t be changed by the firmware of the external flash unit.
Best regards

i.A. Roland Lämmermann
Technical support "

So there it is, the flash beam doesnt not work, not because Metz cant make it work, its because the Pentax K1 cant use it due lack of the nessesary software and this cant be changed.