Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2016, 06:27 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Responding to several suggestions above
1) batteries out, flash off before connecting
2) computers do not recognize the MB 52, neither the new W-10 nor the older W-XP
3) Driver for the flash might be the problem. Thought I had that installed, but maybe something went wrong

BTW: Have the same problem with an upgrade for my Cactus 60. Computer does not detect the flash when it is connected.

Thanks for advice. Will get to experimenting with the driver but not today, maybe not earlier than Tuesday because of multiple all-day commitments (small window of time early Saturday).

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-17-2016 at 04:15 AM.
07-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #32
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Responding to several suggestions above
1) batteries out, flash off before connecting
2) computers does not recognize neither, neither the new W-10 nor the older W-XP
3) Driver for the flash might be the problem. Thought I had that installed, but maybe something went wrong

BTW: Have the same problem with an upgrade for my Cactus 60. Computer does not detect the flash when it is connected.

Thanks for advice. Will get to experimenting with the driver but not today, maybe not earlier than Tuesday because of multiple all-day commitments (small window of time early Saturday).
When time comes, look closely in the pdf that comes with the update. It may contain clues... The one thing that was my problem was that Win 7 did not install the USB-COM-port driver at first but second time in second port(USB2-port, first was a USB3, may have been the culprit) it went on the net and installed a virtual USB-COM-port driver that is needed for the flash and computer to communicate...
07-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #33
Pentaxian

I read the PDF document and followed instructions to the letter.

Still, the driver installation stalled. Win7 was trying to find a driver online...
I just interrupted at some point and installed the driver again, this time without an online connection.

I then started the actual firmware updater and after it had finished, I had V5.0 on my Metz 58 AF-2.

@WPRESTO Quote: I don't have any problems with the Cactus Firmware Updater. Works fine for both V6(II) and RF60.
07-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
If you have a Metz 44 AF-1 / 48 AF-1 / 50 AF-1 / 58 AF-1 / 58 AF-2 you will need a firmware update to make it work in FF mode.

I have been sent the new firmware from Metz and the reason for it not to be released on their homepage yet is that the MAC version is not finished yet.

I don't seem to be able to attach the file...

EDIT1: You now can find a download link to the file in post #11

EDIT2: Here is the link... https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9gi7pn9l3tuzt1/MB58%20MB50%20MB48%20MB44%20Pentax%20GB.zip?dl=0

EDIT3: I have updated my 50 and it now works perfectly in FF mode
@Tjompen1968 many thanks for uploading the firmware!!!

My Metz 44 AF-1 is now working fine on my K-1. Also kudos to Metz for fixing the problem pretty quickly.

:-)

07-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #35
Forum Member

I am trying with Metz 64 AF-1

I got a Metz 64 AF-1 and the first thing I did was to update the firmware to 1.1. Though the firmware was released before Pentax K-1, I thought of updating it

Based on my limited testing P-TTL works fine with direct and bounce flash (I tried Av, TAv and Tv modes).

I found one issue in 'Auto' mode in Metz flash. When I used the 'Auto' mode in the flash (instead of P-TTL) in Av, TAv and Tv and when the flash is set to bounce (75 degree or 90 degree), it is underexposing. I tried many times, but it is consistent (underexposure).

Anyone tried Metz 64 AF-1 with Pentax K-1 (especially the firmware 1.1).
07-18-2016, 10:53 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing the firmware. Updated my 58AF-1 to v6.0. Tested and it looks more accurate with exposure now. Will need to do further testing again.
07-19-2016, 06:49 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote
I got a Metz 64 AF-1 and the first thing I did was to update the firmware to 1.1. Though the firmware was released before Pentax K-1, I thought of updating it

Based on my limited testing P-TTL works fine with direct and bounce flash (I tried Av, TAv and Tv modes).

I found one issue in 'Auto' mode in Metz flash. When I used the 'Auto' mode in the flash (instead of P-TTL) in Av, TAv and Tv and when the flash is set to bounce (75 degree or 90 degree), it is underexposing. I tried many times, but it is consistent (underexposure).

Anyone tried Metz 64 AF-1 with Pentax K-1 (especially the firmware 1.1).

'Auto' flash mode is not compatible with camera auto-exposure modes ..... use Manual camera mode.

07-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've spent well over an hour trying to upgrade the firmware for my Metz 52, with intermittent attempts to upgrade the Cactus RF60, with no success whatever, essentially ending at the same point as when I started.
1) working with my old laptop which has Windows XP, whatever I click I cannot get a screen that matches step 1 of the Metz instructions about creating a new directory on the hard drive.
2) Ultimately, clicking this and that of the Metz update and installation programs on my newest desktop Windows 10 computer, eventually I get around to a message that the operation cannot be completed because the computer does not have FTD2XX.dll which I am supposed to attempt to re-install, but as I have not the foggiest notion of what it is.....

Repeatedly plugging either the Metz 52 or the Cactus RF 60 (when it's new firmware installation is open) into multiple different USB ports, there is no indication that either flash unit is recognized in any way. The Cactus program continues to say hardware not detected.
07-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #39
Pentaxian

1) working with my old laptop which has Windows XP, whatever I click I cannot get a screen that matches step 1 of the Metz instructions about creating a new directory on the hard drive. 2) Ultimately, clicking this and that of the Metz update and installation programs on my newest desktop Windows 10 computer, eventually I get around to a message that the operation cannot be completed because the computer does not have FTD2XX.dll which I am supposed to attempt to re-install, but as I have not the foggiest notion of what it is.....

It really sounds like you haven't installed the drivers for the Metz properly.

What happens when you run the .exe archive to extract all files? There should be i dialog to chose where to extract the files.
One of the files in the archive is Driverinstall.exe which must be executed before the flash unit is connected. On Windows XP you should also reboot before connecting the flash.
07-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
It really sounds like you haven't installed the drivers for the Metz properly.

What happens when you run the .exe archive to extract all files? There should be i dialog to chose where to extract the files.
One of the files in the archive is Driverinstall.exe which must be executed before the flash unit is connected. On Windows XP you should also reboot before connecting the flash.
I have attempted to install "Driverinstall.exe" at least six times on my desktop W-10. Every time I get a "may not have installed correctly." Every time I click on one of the options for installing or reinstalling, nothing happens. When I look for it outside of the folder that was downloaded from Metz, it is nowhere to be found, except there is sometimes a desktop shortcut to it, but whether this is present or not, when I attempt to operate the update program, I get the previously noted error message.
07-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I have attempted to install "Driverinstall.exe" at least six times on my desktop W-10.
Are you using the version from the link in this thread?

Attaching a pdf with the dialogs from a correct installation (apologies for it beíng i Swedish). Perhaps you can tell me where your messages differ.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf FTDIdriver.pdf (89.7 KB, 183 views)
07-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #42
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
'Auto' flash mode is not compatible with camera auto-exposure modes ..... use Manual camera mode.

Thanks. I did not know that. I have not tested 'Auto' mode in flash with manual exposure mode in camera yet.

-Emsee
07-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I have attempted to install "Driverinstall.exe" at least six times on my desktop W-10.

The best way may be to download the drivers from here directly: D2XX Direct Drivers

There is an executable version.
07-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote
Thanks. I did not know that. I have not tested 'Auto' mode in flash with manual exposure mode in camera yet.

-Emsee
You have to set the ISO and aperture manually both on the camera and on the flash controls, as there's no communication of these settings between flash and camera in Auto-flash mode .

There's a full run-down of this mode, including flash exposure control, on pages 80-81 of my Guide ... Please download it from my sig below and take a look. I'd be glad to know if you find any differences between what I describe for Pentax flashes and your new Metz .....
07-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
The best way may be to download the drivers from here directly: D2XX Direct Drivers

There is an executable version.
Thanks for that link. I'll give it a try on the desktop, probably tomorrow.