Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And now we get another useful Crop option- square! Thanks, Pentax.

09-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #32
Pentaxian

I just got the K1, and am amazed by the low light performance. I shoot wildlife and having the option of shooting higher frame rate is just a twist of the third dial away. It is a very useful feature, and obvious when enabled to avoid lost shots.
09-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I love my new K1, it is amazing. I have no complaints here.....it is near perfect. Nope...I am not a sports shooter and did have sense enough to know in advance that Pentax is not a sports shooters best choice......I kinda figured that out years ago......however some are real slow at that realization.

What I would like to emphasize is the benefit of the Crop Mode, since it is much maligned by "real FF shooters".

Before you go any further.....look down at your shoes...if they are fancy alligator loafers...and you are wearing fancy pants and a many-button silk shirt, gold rim glasses and a holding a gold/ivory tipped cigarette holder that matches your diamond encrusted virgin leather belt...then this thread is not for you. Stay up in your cloud high above us and pity our ignorance.

So what is so neat about the Crop Mode?

First, that Pentax thought to offer it to us. I guess someone thought it might be useful and beneficial...and they were right!

For most of us, we have a shelf or two full of APS-C lenses that are just as decent on the K1 as they have always been....sure, not as man MP as the K3, but more than most of the prior Pentax cameras we have used over the past 10 years. Plenty of MP for web posting and more than enough for most of what we print...if we print at all?

What's better? Well, the fast and accurate focus is still there in the Crop Mode...maybe even faster than in the FF mode? Almost all of the other great K1 features...like superb SR is in the Crop Mode too. You are really shooting a FF shot and just taking the heart of it for use in the Crop Mode. What could be better for wildlife shooting or those close in shots when using a zoom that is a little too short for FF?

For those that don't have a K1...yet.....here is how it works, in brief.

You turn the main dial to Crop. You turn the Crop dial until you see APS-C on your info screen...that's it......fast and simple.

What next? You focus on your subject....and a nice large black lined rectangle lights up in your viewfinder and as you half press the frame turns from black to red indicating focus has been achieved...and it is lightning fast at doing it.

From there you can "frame your shot" by moving around the frame...re-composing..... getting exactly what you see in the finished shot. Most often no further cropping is needed in processing. Once you get the hang of it...which is quickly learned after a few snaps, you can cut out that post processing cropping by 0ver 90%.

So you want to go to FF for your next shot.......quick and easy...turn the Crop Mode dial and you're there! Couldn't be easier!

In the Crop Mode you get a better view of what you are shooting and how it will be framed, which in instances like wildlife are very helpful. Try it...and you will like it......

Almost every shot here was shot in the Crop Mode...using a FF lens, the Bigma 50-500. Works for me!...of course, I wear old farm pants and worn out farm boots, no belt and a shirt with a few holes in it and some spaghetti stains that won't come out...so your experience may vary...but you should still try it!

Crop Mode shots on Flickr...some good...some not.....some ugly. I am a good, bad, and ugly poster!
Pentax K1 | Flickr

Best Regards!
I use the Nikon D800 various crop modes all the time for different "shoots". When I need a little more speed I shoot 1.2x crop. When I'm shooting portraits I shoot 4:5 crop. I rarely use 1.5x crop given that I prefer to shoot a crop sensor camera like my Pentax K-3ii. Missing on the D800 is 1:1 crop, which I would use if it were available. I find shooting in cropped mode gets you exactly where you want to be. For a while I had a Panasonic LX3 which had a great crop switch attached to the lens barrel. One could go from 16:9 to 4:3 to 3:2 with a quip turn. And each crop maximized the image circle, rather than merely "cropping" the native 4:3 sensor size. (i.e. the sensor was slightly bigger than the image circle). I found this to be most useful and I wish others would follow Panasonic's lead. Anyway, for me 1:1 crop on the K-1 is a reason to consider it. Missing for me would be 4:5 crop though. Sigh....

Michael
09-26-2016, 11:30 PM   #34
Veteran Member

APS-C crop is not very bright idea as one loses FF advantage to collect more light with bigger sensor surface. 1:1 is passable but there should be 4:3 and 5:4 as well.

For APS-C I would also use APS-C camera like K-3II.

09-27-2016, 12:47 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
APS-C crop is not very bright idea as one loses FF advantage to collect more light with bigger sensor surface.
???

If 9000 photons fall on a pixel, then 9000 photons also fall on the pixel in APS-C mode.

09-27-2016, 01:42 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
rats!

Regards,
--anders
lolol
09-27-2016, 03:03 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Lolol...yeah not. If you want 16MP images you can always downsample with superior quality. Crop is useful only for extended tele reach in a pinch. Why get K-1 and use it with APS-C lenses?
09-27-2016, 03:45 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If 9000 photons fall on a pixel, then 9000 photons also fall on the pixel in APS-C mode.
Yes, but with 36M collectors that collect 9k photons each, you will collect 2,25 times as many photons as those 16M collectors that collect 9k photons each.

Assuming you use the same focal length too you will get the same light and noise per detail in the image, but a l larger image. If you stand 1 meter from both the 2,25 meter wide image and the 1 meter wide cropped image, you will see the same amount of noise per detail. But if you do the more natural thin, take two steps back to 2,25m distance, you will get less noise per image with.

If you do change focal length according to the crop factor, view the images in equal size from equal distance, you will get less noise per detail in the image from the FF camera, using the same aperture number. The reason for this that aperture area changes with physical focal length, when the aperture number are held constant.

09-28-2016, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Lolol...yeah not. If you want 16MP images you can always downsample with superior quality. Crop is useful only for extended tele reach in a pinch. Why get K-1 and use it with APS-C lenses?
If it wasn't so easy to switch back and forth it wouldn't make sense to use it, but it is. In practice, I have it in full mode most of the time, and if I see something a ways away with some action, I switch to crop to get faster shooting rate. Then back again.

In other words, it isn't an either or situation. I have both at hand. I give up something to gain something else.

In practice the low light improvements are giving me shots in crop mode on the K1 that I couldn't get on the K3. The curves became very severe at distance, low light with movement on the K3 where 800 iso is probably the maximum meaning 1/250 or less shutter speed. The K1 gives me a very workable 1/1000 iso 3200 shot. Crop mode gives me more exposures of the action.

This with 500mm f4.5.

In theory crop mode doesn't make sense. In practice it is very useful.
09-28-2016, 07:03 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Just hoping there will be 4:3 and 5:4 crop modes as well as MJS explained above.
09-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #41
Site Supporter

because you already have an investment in crop lenses

randy
10-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #42
Site Supporter

I live in a semi-arid area where rain is a rarity. But what about my trips to the Pacific Northwest? For my rare days with rain, I can just mount the DA* lenses from my K5 and enjoy their water resistance. Back home where I don't need that, I'll use my Fs, FAs and Limiteds.
10-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Aren't those D-FA zooms protected in some way? I used 24-70 in heavy rain with no problems.
10-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #44
Site Supporter

Aren't those D-FA zooms protected in some way? I used 24-70 in heavy rain with no problems.
Yes. Only two things wrong with them, from my perspective; too expensive and too heavy.
10-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
Yes. Only two things wrong with them, from my perspective; too expensive and too heavy.
f2.8 zooms are the lifeblood of the the pro photography business, Wheatridger ... big boy lenses for big boy cameras.