Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #46
mee
Site Supporter

Would a 1.2x mode (similar to what is on the D810) be of use here with crop oriented lenses?

10-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, Big Boy...

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
f2.8 zooms are the lifeblood of the the pro photography business, Wheatridger ... big boy lenses for big boy cameras.
If you want to get personal, Big Boy-- I'm not happy to see you, that's just my FA*300!

Seriously, I couldn't disagree with you more here. When I see you Lens Police coming, I cop an attitude, dude. And so I contend this- there's never been a time when Pro, Big-Gulp-sized F2.8 zooms are less necessary than now. We have usable ISOs for stops or more beyond the film era, when these lenses were popularized. We have stabilization, too, improving my slower lenses' performance into twilight. If you're really, truly short of light, f 2.8 zooms aren't enough; you'd prefer a prime two stops faster. We have full frame, which demands smaller f-stops, unless you think of DOF as The Enemy. And we're not shooting slides anymore. We can crop to our heart's content and still maintain more IQ, easily spanning the focal length gaps between primes.

The standard pair of Big Pro Zooms became popular with photojournalists who wanted one portable kit to handle the widest range of situations, from sports to speeches to portraits to combat. Two SLRs, two zooms, with a prime or two in the pockets of your photographers' vest. Remember? I do. But are any of us working that gig, in that manner, these days? I doubt there are many.

So I'll take a handful of Limiteds against your Big Pro zooms, and raise you a LensBaby.

---------- Post added 10-06-16 at 11:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Would a 1.2x mode (similar to what is on the D810) be of use here with crop oriented lenses?
If you're talking about the Nikon's 4:5 crop, I don't think that would be enough. The image circles from my crop lenses weren't that much larger than the full frame sensor square. Proponents of the square sensor camera (which never comes) point out that it uses the lens' image circle most efficiently, and it's true.
10-26-2016, 06:18 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Many APS-C lenses can work well beyond APS-C crop. Some like DA50 and DA*200 work well all the way to 1,0 crop for all apertures. Some work well for larger then APS-C for parts of their focal length range and aperture range. Am I on the right track here or is this controversial?
All this is freely admitted, and there are those who like to shoot their ultra wide angle crop lenses (e.g. DA15/4.0) in full and then crop the vignetting out manually, which greatly broadens the FOV even if the aspect ratio isn't standard. Crop mode is there to give the DA shooter exactly what they have hitherto been used to, and offer problem-free use of their existing DA lenses for those who choose not to do post or who need to get images out in a hurry. The benefit of the K-1 is that we can enforce either mode as desired, which I'm not sure all full-frame cameras offer.
10-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #49
Pentaxian

This is just weird, the benefits of crop mode are best exploited by a K-3. Not a K-1 in crop mode. The K-1 has a lower frame rate, less magnification, and much smaller buffer.

Although I can see how if you don't have a K-3, working with a K-5 you mightt feel that way. But K-5s are so 6 years ago.

10-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
the benefits of crop mode are best exploited by a K-3. Not a K-1 in crop mode.
I think you mean "the benefits of an APS-C lens or a lens projecting to an APS-C sized sensor area".

The argument of K-3 vs. K-1 is the argument of competing advantages according to intended application; the argument of K-5 vs. K-1 is so heavily weighted in favour of the K-1 it isn't funny (unless you really NEED that onboard flash). To each their own.
10-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
. Two SLRs, two zooms, with a prime or two in the pockets of your photographers' vest. .
That's what the pros want, despite your personal preference, @Wheatridger. 😀

I myself am happy using primes, but rarely for events. Changing lenses equals missed shots. I'll even carry two bodies with two zooms, to your horror.. 😀

You will find there are a couple of photojournalists (one's at the NYT, IIRC) who shoot just with a 35mm prime, but they're a rarity. It's a zoom world these days.
10-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I think you mean "the benefits of an APS-C lens or a lens projecting to an APS-C sized sensor area".

The argument of K-3 vs. K-1 is the argument of competing advantages according to intended application; the argument of K-5 vs. K-1 is so heavily weighted in favour of the K-1 it isn't funny (unless you really NEED that onboard flash). To each their own.
That's why I traded in my K-5 for a K-1.

If only it weighed less.
10-27-2016, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter

This is just weird, the benefits of crop mode are best exploited by a K-3. Not a K-1 in crop mode. The K-1 has a lower frame rate, less magnification, and much smaller buffer.

If I'm taking photos one at a time, what do I care about frame rate and buffer?

The emphatic, my-way-or-the-highway pronouncements I'm seeing here are pretty silly. For some of us, photography is an art form where we seek novel answers to common questions... not a technical project that has a single, technically perfect solution.

---------- Post added 10-27-16 at 10:31 AM ----------

That's why I traded in my K-5 for a K-1.

If only it weighed less.
I feel your (hand, arm, wrist) pain. That's why I'm avoiding fast zooms and choosing among the smaller lenses. My K-1 with Pentax-F 24-50/4 is approximately the same weight as a K-5 with DA 16-50/2.8.

---------- Post added 10-27-16 at 10:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's what the pros want, despite your personal preference, @Wheatridger. 😀

I myself am happy using primes, but rarely for events. Changing lenses equals missed shots. I'll even carry two bodies with two zooms, to your horror.. 😀

You will find there are a couple of photojournalists (one's at the NYT, IIRC) who shoot just with a 35mm prime, but they're a rarity. It's a zoom world these days.
How many Pentax users in the USA are working PJs? Not many, I would wager. They'd be ostracized by the rest of the press pool, unable to swap lenses with their co-workers, looked down upon because their camera's shutter wasn't loud enough to disrupt every event they cover. And today's PJs are responsible for video output too, so they'd surely choose a Canikon instead.

For decades, photojournalists have set the standard for pro photographers. But they're a dying breed- in my city of two million, there probably aren't two dozen full-time still-photo PJ jobs. I would encourage other Pentaxians to look at their own needs, and choose their lenses accordingly.

10-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K-1 with Pentax-F 24-50/4
And it does a good job!
10-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #55
Pentaxian

If I'm taking photos one at a time, what do I care about frame rate and buffer?
But it isn't always about you....
10-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

How many Pentax users in the USA are working PJs? Not many, I would wager. They'd be ostracized by the rest of the press pool, unable to swap lenses with their co-workers, looked down upon because their camera's shutter wasn't loud enough to disrupt every event they cover. And today's PJs are responsible for video output too, so they'd surely choose a Canikon instead.

For decades, photojournalists have set the standard for pro photographers. But they're a dying breed- in my city of two million, there probably aren't two dozen full-time still-photo PJ jobs. I would encourage other Pentaxians to look at their own needs, and choose their lenses accordingly.
I of course agree with you, Wheatridger. There's a lot of pandering to the Canikon set, because they're the market leaders.

To be mentioned in the same breath as the 5D Mk III and D810, Pentax concentrated on the release of the usual trinity of pro f2.8 zooms this year to go with the K-1, postponing new/refreshed primes that the party faithful were hoping for.