Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2016, 08:20 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 Crop Mode...Why You Should Love It!

I love my new K1, it is amazing. I have no complaints here.....it is near perfect. Nope...I am not a sports shooter and did have sense enough to know in advance that Pentax is not a sports shooters best choice......I kinda figured that out years ago......however some are real slow at that realization.

What I would like to emphasize is the benefit of the Crop Mode, since it is much maligned by "real FF shooters".

Before you go any further.....look down at your shoes...if they are fancy alligator loafers...and you are wearing fancy pants and a many-button silk shirt, gold rim glasses and a holding a gold/ivory tipped cigarette holder that matches your diamond encrusted virgin leather belt...then this thread is not for you. Stay up in your cloud high above us and pity our ignorance.

So what is so neat about the Crop Mode?

First, that Pentax thought to offer it to us. I guess someone thought it might be useful and beneficial...and they were right!

For most of us, we have a shelf or two full of APS-C lenses that are just as decent on the K1 as they have always been....sure, not as man MP as the K3, but more than most of the prior Pentax cameras we have used over the past 10 years. Plenty of MP for web posting and more than enough for most of what we print...if we print at all?

What's better? Well, the fast and accurate focus is still there in the Crop Mode...maybe even faster than in the FF mode? Almost all of the other great K1 features...like superb SR is in the Crop Mode too. You are really shooting a FF shot and just taking the heart of it for use in the Crop Mode. What could be better for wildlife shooting or those close in shots when using a zoom that is a little too short for FF?

For those that don't have a K1...yet.....here is how it works, in brief.

You turn the main dial to Crop. You turn the Crop dial until you see APS-C on your info screen...that's it......fast and simple.

What next? You focus on your subject....and a nice large black lined rectangle lights up in your viewfinder and as you half press the frame turns from black to red indicating focus has been achieved...and it is lightning fast at doing it.

From there you can "frame your shot" by moving around the frame...re-composing..... getting exactly what you see in the finished shot. Most often no further cropping is needed in processing. Once you get the hang of it...which is quickly learned after a few snaps, you can cut out that post processing cropping by 0ver 90%.

So you want to go to FF for your next shot.......quick and easy...turn the Crop Mode dial and you're there! Couldn't be easier!

In the Crop Mode you get a better view of what you are shooting and how it will be framed, which in instances like wildlife are very helpful. Try it...and you will like it......

Almost every shot here was shot in the Crop Mode...using a FF lens, the Bigma 50-500. Works for me!...of course, I wear old farm pants and worn out farm boots, no belt and a shirt with a few holes in it and some spaghetti stains that won't come out...so your experience may vary...but you should still try it!

Crop Mode shots on Flickr...some good...some not.....some ugly. I am a good, bad, and ugly poster!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129469263@N03/sets/72157668217340465

Best Regards!

07-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting viewpoint. I have to admit that I changed the menu system to always be in FF mode, even if an APS-C lens was mounted. Looks like I should rethink that.

I'd like to ask you, do you see any advantage shooting the K-1 in crop mode with a FF lens mounted?
07-18-2016, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

For me, the K1 crop mode is a replacement of the K5IIs series; with the AF matrix of a K3, and the buffer size of a K1 (I can shoot up to 80 shots in a raw).

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
I'd like to ask you, do you see any advantage shooting the K-1 in crop mode with a FF lens mounted?
The frame rate is higher in crop mode.

---------- Post added 18-07-16 at 18:46 ----------

If I don't need more FPS, I prefer to crop x1.22 and get 24Mpixels out of the sensor, I got used to the 24Mpixels of the K3.
07-18-2016, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But can you continue to wear your farm pants in your newly upholstered truck?

07-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Yes, the emphasis in what you see is more distinct. I use my Bigma most of the time and it is FF. Faster AF and easier to target your intended subject. Love to see that frame light up in red too..pretty neat stuff!

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
But can you continue to wear your farm pants in your newly upholstered truck?
I do, but cover the seats with a big plastic trash bag.

Regards!
07-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I was shooting some "high speed" continuous in FF on the weekend. It was certainly noticeably slower than the K3, but adequate for my needs. However, more to the point was that the buffer filled quickly and the shots slowed to a trickle. In crop mode, I could keep shooting for much longer.
07-18-2016, 12:15 PM - 5 Likes   #7
Forum Member

I used it for the first time on my K-1 this weekend for this image.. It gave me the speed I needed, I was pleased with the result..

07-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Before you go any further.....look down at your shoes...if they are fancy alligator loafers...and you are wearing fancy pants and a many-button silk shirt, gold rim glasses and a holding a gold/ivory tipped cigarette holder that matches your diamond encrusted virgin leather belt...then this thread is not for you.
Rats!

Regards,
--Anders
07-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ukspeedtraps Quote
I was pleased with the result..
And a very fine result it was too! So, from what you posted here, what FF cloud rider can tell it is a crop shot?

Rats......yep, we are just the lowly inferior group, but we have more fun and get more shots in a larger buffer!
07-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I was shooting some "high speed" continuous in FF on the weekend. It was certainly noticeably slower than the K3, but adequate for my needs. However, more to the point was that the buffer filled quickly and the shots slowed to a trickle. In crop mode, I could keep shooting for much longer.
Could you please elaborate on the FF being noticeably slower?

Thanks

Randy
07-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I do, but cover the seats with a big plastic trash bag.
That's a bit self-depreciating Rupert!
07-18-2016, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The alternative is vehicle depreciation!
07-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Crop mode vs post crop, I can see two advantages with crop mode:
- Faster continuous shooting and larger buffer size
- The red frame that helps framing better

But I also see a couple of disadvantages:
- Too much cropping and too few megapixels when cropping to square format or 4:3 or 16:9 or something other else then 3:2
- Not possible to choose crop factors in between 1,0 and 1,5

Many APS-C lenses can work well beyond APS-C crop. Some like DA50 and DA*200 work well all the way to 1,0 crop for all apertures. Some work well for larger then APS-C for parts of their focal length range and aperture range. Am I on the right track here or is this controversial?
07-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Could you please elaborate on the FF being noticeably slower?
Give it a test yourself and check your buffer.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hey...you gotta protect those new seats! Farm pants are not always all that sanitary....Mrs Rupert says they are never sanitary.

Yes, there are two sides to Crop Mode shooting.....I gave mine and others may have other views...which is fine...because we do have choices. Bottom line is that we do have choices and in no way can that be a disadvantage to either side.

Regards!
07-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #15
Forum Member

Hi Rupert,
The crop mode of the K1 gives advantages in terms of high ISO performance over the K5, in your experience, or the noise at same ISO settings is comparable?
Thanks!

Last edited by aiki76; 07-19-2016 at 03:03 PM.