Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2016, 05:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aiki76 Quote
The crop mode of the K1 gives advantages in terms of high ISO performance over the K5, in your experience, or the noise at same ISO settings is comparable?
Thanks!
The Crop Mode has all those advantages over the K5 or any other APS-C Pentax. Advantages like this......

It was so dark you couldn't see her in the viewfinder, yet the AF locked on and that big crop frame lit up in red, the AF beeped and I snapped. Won't happen with any K5 model or K3 either.

1/50 handheld @ 200mm f2.8 ISO 12800

The Crop Mode was a great addition by Pentax, no one has to use it, but if they do they will find it very handy and very useful in many situations.

Regards!

07-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The Crop Mode has all those advantages over the K5 or any other APS-C Pentax. Advantages like this......

It was so dark you couldn't see her in the viewfinder, yet the AF locked on and that big crop frame lit up in red, the AF beeped and I snapped. Won't happen with any K5 model or K3 either.

The Crop Mode was a great addition by Pentax, no one has to use it, but if they do they will find it very handy and very useful in many situations.

Regards!
I view it as like 2 cameras in one!

Randy
07-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I view it as like 2 cameras in one!

Randy
Yes, exactly.....except for those elites that see it as a novelty putting a stain on their silk shirts.
07-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, exactly.....except for those elites that see it as a novelty putting a stain on their silk shirts.
You've invented a new form of discrimination, Rupert: you're now officially a "shirtist "!

07-20-2016, 04:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
You've invented a new form of discrimination, Rupert: you're now officially a "shirtist "!
Yes, maybe I went too far. If they will stop discriminating against the Crop Mode...I'll cut them some slack!

Regards!

Reminds me of the guy over at DRP years ago that claimed he used nothing but the finest linen paper to back his framed photos. Anything lesser was the sign of an inferior photographer with no class.

Of course, I did have to reply that with his work the used liner in a parakeet cage would be more than sufficient for his "work".

Yep, I got a two week ban, but it was worth it!
07-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I kept my K3 for when I want crop mode, working on the theory that it's 50% more pixels.
07-20-2016, 06:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I kept my K3 for when I want crop mode, working on the theory that it's 50% more pixels.
Yes...makes sense, unless you don't want to carry two cameras.....or if you are mostly web posting....but it is a valid point.

Regards!

07-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I did, too, but my sense is I may not need both K3 bodies.
07-24-2016, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes...makes sense, unless you don't want to carry two cameras.....
OK.

.....or if you are mostly web posting....
So, the K1 in crop mode is superior to the K3 ?
The comment is qualified by 'mostly' so there must be a couple things for which the K3 remains acceptable. I might use it to photograph a package damaged by UPS but would not use it to record the UPS lady herself. Bad, unreliable, pants K3 :^|
07-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #25

I have the K-1 and the K-3 II now, but thinking of maybe going back to having just the one camera. Haven't used the crop mode as yet, but I would be very interested to compare the same lenses on the two camera's. Has anybody already made such a comparison perhaps?
I do find I still tend to pick up the K-3 II more often as it is a bit smaller and I'm still more used to the K-3 series feel and operation.
07-31-2016, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #26

Regards!
I have to agree, I had a 10 stop ND filter on the DA 20-40mm, on the K-5ii, in live view, could not see anything at all, however on the k-1 even with the 10stop filter, camera was still able to pick up the image and focus which i was very very surprised about:
big timesaver of not having to:

set focus and settings to correct exposure
screw on filter
readjust settings to compensate

The k-1 is amazing at low light .
08-01-2016, 02:25 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kayfour Quote
The k-1 is amazing at low light

When I first inspected the K1, I had no intention of buying.However, when the demo showed what it could do with not much light,WELL, it was who do I make the cheque out to?
08-01-2016, 05:03 AM - 3 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have had no intention of attacking the K3, heck, I never had one so how could I attack with any reasonable seriousness? The attacks I see are more from those with a K3 going after the K1...and most of those do not have a K1 so their arguments are as bogus as mine would be if I was attacking a K3.

I am simply stating what I have found to be amazingly wonderful about the K1. I could most likely say the same for the K3 if I owned one, but not for the same reasons. Pentax makes some very fine cameras, it is simple enough to find the one for your particular needs and buy it...without trashing the models you didn't buy!

If you need low light shooting, fast and accurate AF even on a very dark moonless night, and a lot of pixels for whatever reason you may want them......the K1 may be for you?

If you hear a "raccoon ruckus" on a dark night where you can barely see them with your own eyes and not at all in the viewfinder.....want to aim in that direction and achieve fast and accurate AF and get a usable shot of what you hear....then the K1 may be what you want.

Few need that kind of performance, and it comes at a price....so one of the many other Pentax cameras might be a better choice? It really is that simple!

As for the Crop Mode that takes a beating form those knocking the K1.......once you try it you will like it! If you are not printing billboards and mostly post on the internet there is nothing to not like about the Crop Mode, in particular for wildlife shooting...it is wonderful...Thank you Ricoh for this fine feature!

Crop Mode works for me!

Get the Pentax that works best for you, they have one...find it and be happy!

Best Regards!
08-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Crop mode at 300mm with 55-300 and vivitar 1.4xTC

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/190-pentax-k-1-k-1-ii/320618d1470280008-da-50-135-kenko-1-4x-tc-ff-beauty-k-1-imgp1978.jpg
08-06-2016, 10:04 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Answer this......

Is it FF or is it Crop Mode?

I shot this the other night on a dark moonless night...the K1 locked focus using only its assist light and I go this shot...so easy..so fast! Amazing camera! I was switching back and forth from FF to Crop Mode....and not keeping track of what was what?

The little raccoon was waiting patiently for the cold beer he had ordered for his meal...and asking 'Where did my waitress go???"

Now...is it a crop from the FF or is it a Crop Mode shot?

The answer is here!

If you crop a FF shot and yet pooh-pooh the use of the Crop Mode...you are defying logic!

Best Regards! Long live the Crop Mode!