Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2016, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

K-1 Farnborough Airshow Photos

So, two days after getting my K-1 it gets thrown into the deep end with an outing to this year's Farnborough Airshow. This whole afternoon was very much a learning curve, as was the processing of the shots afterwards. 994 images taken in total, 176 got past the bad/boring image test and 161 were actually processed (God bless Synchronise Settings in Lightroom!) Of these 61 were ultimately converted to JPEGs for further distribution/display. As this was my first real use of the camera I learned several things:

1) The Sigma 150-500mm gave a surprising amount of vignetting at 500mm. Nothing Lightroom couldn't handle, but it was still not something I'd ever seen when using it on my K-5.

2) Back button focusing rocks! For the first time I was actually able to pull off panning shots with a reasonable degree of success. The corollary to this is that, in my opinion, the AF button on the K-1 is too small and in the wrong place. It needs to be where the Green Button is (which is where it is on the K-1) and I found myself pressing this by mistake on a number of occasions. That said, I am sure I will adapt with time.

3) The noise reduction and image processing functions that are turned on by default in the K-1 are not your friend, at least not in this sort of situation, and made image processing more difficult and the results on that processing less satisfactory.

4) For the first time heat shimmer was a factor. I used my K-5 with the same Sigma lens in similar weather conditions at a number of airshows in the past and have never encountered this in the final images.

Anyway, enough chatter. Here are my favourite 5 from the images I took...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-18-2016, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing! I especially like the F35 shot (is that the VTOL naval variant?)- impressive detail.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-18-2016, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is the VTOL version. You can tell by the hatch open just behind the cockpit.
07-18-2016, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pretty cool stuff. Airshows are such a blast... no pun intended. I've never seen an F35 up close. I don't think Canada has received any yet. We certainly won't be getting VTOL's.

07-18-2016, 05:57 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Great pic of that upgraded Yak-38 Forger.
Oops, I mean the F-35B.
07-18-2016, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
That is the VTOL version. You can tell by the hatch open just behind the cockpit.
What lives under that hatch?
07-18-2016, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Oops, I mean the F-35B.

That F-35B is being launched off the Admiral Gorshkov, right?
07-18-2016, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Great shots of the airshow. Got more?

The hatch behind the cockpit is open for intake engine air for vertical movement.

07-18-2016, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Great shots of the airshow. Got more?

The hatch behind the cockpit is open for intake engine air for vertical movement.
Thanks!
07-19-2016, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Pretty cool stuff. Airshows are such a blast... no pun intended. I've never seen an F35 up close. I don't think Canada has received any yet. We certainly won't be getting VTOL's.
The F-35 was a first for me. The UK is (in theory) buying 138 of them over the next 15 years or so, so they'll probably become a much more common sight in years to come. Canada was originally going to buy 60-odd units but the Trudeau government canned that idea. Frankly I think they're right - if you're operating over Arctic wilderness then a single engine aircraft is not a good idea, on the basis that it's always preferable to lose an engine rather than the engine!

---------- Post added 07-19-16 at 10:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What lives under that hatch?
There is a vertically mounted lift fan underneath the hatch which is run from the main engine via a very complicated clutch system when vertical flight mode is engaged. At the same time the main engine nozzle twists through 90 degrees to point downwards, meaning the aircraft is held up on two pillars of thrust which is much more stable. All in all some remarkably clever engineering. Just how durable it will prove to be in actual frontline use remains to be seen.

---------- Post added 07-19-16 at 10:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Oops, I mean the F-35B.
If we're going to be pedantic about this it's much closer in concept to the cancelled Yak-141 Freestyle

---------- Post added 07-19-16 at 10:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That F-35B is being launched off the Admiral Gorshkov, right?
I look forward to the day, hopefully soon, when we see F-35Bs launching from HMS Queen Elizabeth. If I'm really lucky I may even get to see it in person and be allowed to take my K-1 with me

P.S. Admiral Gorshkov is a frigate, you're thinking of Vikramaditya (which, admittedly, used to be called Admiral Gorshkov before being sold to India). Apologies for being pedantic but this kind of thing is my job and my OCD acts up like mad if I let these things slide
07-19-2016, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePlunkett Quote

P.S. Admiral Gorshkov is a frigate, you're thinking of Vikramaditya (which, admittedly, used to be called Admiral Gorshkov before being sold to India). Apologies for being pedantic but this kind of thing is my job and my OCD acts up like mad if I let these things slide
Yeah, you ought to see someone about that, Mike! 😀

Definitely a joke. I could have chosen any of the Kiev class carriers the Forgers flew from, none of them are still in Russian service.
07-19-2016, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

The F-35 was a first for me. The UK is (in theory) buying 138 of them over the next 15 years or so, so they'll probably become a much more common sight in years to come. Canada was originally going to buy 60-odd units but the Trudeau government canned that idea. Frankly I think they're right - if you're operating over Arctic wilderness then a single engine aircraft is not a good idea, on the basis that it's always preferable to lose an engine rather than the engine!

---------- Post added 07-19-16 at 10:06 AM ----------

There is a vertically mounted lift fan underneath the hatch which is run from the main engine via a very complicated clutch system when vertical flight mode is engaged. At the same time the main engine nozzle twists through 90 degrees to point downwards, meaning the aircraft is held up on two pillars of thrust which is much more stable. All in all some remarkably clever engineering. Just how durable it will prove to be in actual frontline use remains to be seen.

---------- Post added 07-19-16 at 10:09 AM ----------

If we're going to be pedantic about this it's much closer in concept to the cancelled Yak-141 Freestyle

---------- Post added 07-19-16 at 10:16 AM ----------

I look forward to the day, hopefully soon, when we see F-35Bs launching from HMS Queen Elizabeth. If I'm really lucky I may even get to see it in person and be allowed to take my K-1 with me

Your definitely a Total Aviation Person as Flight International used to name them....a long time since I worked at Farnborough (well Pyestock actually!)
07-19-2016, 03:36 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Your definitely a Total Aviation Person as Flight International used to name them....a long time since I worked at Farnborough (well Pyestock actually!)
I was there from 1998 to 2009, albeit on the Farnborough site proper rather than at Pyestock. Got some very good view of the airshow during that period (not to mention free access on more than a few occasions )
07-19-2016, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

There is a vertically mounted lift fan underneath the hatch which is run from the main engine via a very complicated clutch system when vertical flight mode is engaged. At the same time the main engine nozzle twists through 90 degrees to point downwards, meaning the aircraft is held up on two pillars of thrust which is much more stable. All in all some remarkably clever engineering. Just how durable it will prove to be in actual frontline use remains to be seen.[COLOR="Silver"]
Don't forget about the roll nozzles under the wings that allow for greater stability and to control side to side movements.

Fun fact, not only is the rear engine attached to a nozzle that can rotate through 90 of motion, the lift fan itself is attached to a "vane box" (think highly advanced furnace vent) to help control the direction of air moved by the liftfan. It is also this vane box that led to several of the structural integrity issues in the early version of the F35b. Rolls Royce and LockHeed Martin played hell trying to figure that out.