Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K1 and Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 macro lens

Have any K1 users tried this lens and if so what sort of results did you get.

I am at present an APS-C shooter - K5, K5iis and KS2. I have several cropped lenses including 16-50 and 50-135. My FF lenses consist of SMC A lenses - f1.4 50mm, f2.8 28mm and 135mm. The Tamron is the only digital age auto focus FF I own.

As the Tamron is full frame stepping up to the K1 if and when the price drops it would be my only FF auto focus until the piggy bank was full again. My main style is street work and portrait so I am not looking to use the Tamron for macro. I agree with all the revues about the sharpness of this lens and I am curious if it as good on the K1 and also if there are any issues with this lens being fully compatible with the K1.

07-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Brilliant. Nothing more to say.

K1 + Tamron 90mm SP Di Macro @ f/8:

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 07-20-2016 at 01:17 AM.
07-19-2016, 04:48 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My version of Tamron SP 90 (non-di 072E model) is great on the K-1. Meters in all modes, sharp, pleasing bokeh and fast auto focus for the screw drive. The focus limiter works great too. Don't shoot much portrait but thing this lens should do you well.
This and the others lenses you mentioned should give you great coverage and IQ already. Don't forget to try your crop lenses also. Been very pleased with some of the results from mine. (DA70 is as fast and sharp on K-1 as with K3 with no vingetting or loss in the corners.)
Not a true macro but gives an idea of sharpness & performance, center crop shot with limiter & auto focus, f11, 1/200 & flash, hand held from about 18 inches away after dusk.
Attached Images

Last edited by pcrichmond; 07-19-2016 at 04:58 PM.
07-19-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcrichmond Quote
My version of Tamron SP 90 (non-di 072E model) is great on the K-1. Meters in all modes, sharp, pleasing bokeh and fast auto focus for the screw drive. The focus limiter works great too. Don't shoot much portrait but thing this lens should do you well.
This and the others lenses you mentioned should give you great coverage and IQ already. Don't forget to try your crop lenses also. Been very pleased with some of the results from mine. (DA70 is as fast and sharp on K-1 as with K3 with no vingetting or loss in the corners.)
Not a true macro but gives an idea of sharpness & performance, center crop shot with limiter & auto focus, f11, 1/200 & flash, hand held from about 18 inches away after dusk.
WHOAA! Superb. Well done and thank you for sharing.

07-20-2016, 01:46 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote

Superb, thanks for your reply.
07-20-2016, 01:49 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcrichmond Quote
Thanks also for your reply, just the information I was looking for. The cropped lenses are definite keepers, even if only used in the crop mode it should be the same as using K5 but with K1 advantages.
07-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can see by Paul the Sunman's post (as others I've seen here of PF) most of us find the K-1 & Tammy 90 an enjoyable combination.
Hope you do too when you get the K-1.

07-22-2016, 02:36 AM   #8

I've had a Tamron SP 90mm for a while and yesterday I put it on my K-1 and gave it a go. Some of the results are here. All in all I absolutely love this lens on my K-1 - with the exception of the ladybird chrysalis all those shots were taken handheld and required only small amounts of processing in Lightroom to get to a presentable standard.
07-22-2016, 02:42 AM   #9
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote

Astonishing, I like that picture with Red watering....
07-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePlunkett Quote
I've had a Tamron SP 90mm for a while and yesterday I put it on my K-1 and gave it a go. Some of the results are here. All in all I absolutely love this lens on my K-1 - with the exception of the ladybird chrysalis all those shots were taken handheld and required only small amounts of processing in Lightroom to get to a presentable standard.
Thanks Mike, great result. The lens performs well on the K1, all I have to do now is take the plunge.
03-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philanker2012 Quote
Have any K1 users tried this lens and if so what sort of results did you get.

I am at present an APS-C shooter - K5, K5iis and KS2. I have several cropped lenses including 16-50 and 50-135. My FF lenses consist of SMC A lenses - f1.4 50mm, f2.8 28mm and 135mm. The Tamron is the only digital age auto focus FF I own.

As the Tamron is full frame stepping up to the K1 if and when the price drops it would be my only FF auto focus until the piggy bank was full again. My main style is street work and portrait so I am not looking to use the Tamron for macro. I agree with all the revues about the sharpness of this lens and I am curious if it as good on the K1 and also if there are any issues with this lens being fully compatible with the K1.
I have this lens and it is the only lens that I've used on my K-3 that doesn't work at all on the K-1
03-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bpcarlson Quote
I have this lens and it is the only lens that I've used on my K-3 that doesn't work at all on the K-1
This lens works perfectly on the K-1.
03-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder what I'm doing wrong? I will try it again tonight when I get home and see what happens.
03-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bpcarlson Quote
I wonder what I'm doing wrong? I will try it again tonight when I get home and see what happens.
Does it click in place when you mount it?

When you say it doesn't work, what do you mean? No electronic contact? Auto aperture doesn't operate? The aperture lever was bent when I received mine (new!); I just straightened it by hand and all was well.
03-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It works perfectly on my K-3. When I mount it on the K-1 and turn on the camera, the image is completely out of focus. There is no auto focus action happening either when i touch the shutter button. I tried changing the settings on the lens from manual to auto to see if that would make and difference.