Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2016, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got my K1 a few weeks ago when it first shipped.....I was lucky. Now someone is trying to make it obsolete in my mind with some new fantasy model. I'm gonna try to stay happy with the K1 I have....since I am happy beyond words..... and not do any "pie in the sky" daydreaming.

We are just never happy...are we? Heck, lots of people are still lusting for a K1 they can't get due to shortages.....and here we are longing for something new????

Regards!

07-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I just got my K1 a few weeks ago when it first shipped.....I was lucky. Now someone is trying to make it obsolete in my mind with some new fantasy model. I'm gonna try to stay happy with the K1 I have....since I am happy beyond words..... and not do any "pie in the sky" daydreaming.

We are just never happy...are we? Heck, lots of people are still lusting for a K1 they can't get due to shortages.....and here we are longing for something new????

Regards!
I got mine May 6th. My right eye is so accustomed to the small size of the K-3 viewfinder that I constantly find myself looking above and left of the center spot.

And I really was disappointed by the silver box.
07-19-2016, 06:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And I really was disappointed by the silver box.
Yes, me too...almost sent it back...the box, that is!

Regards & Happy K1 shooting for a longtime to come!
07-19-2016, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K1 is a very wonderful camera to own and I do not regret getting it. Especially with the FA*28-70/2.8 fixed to the front.

07-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #20

Original Poster
Firstly looking to the future and wanting for improvements in no way insinuates that I am unhappy with the current K1. I also agree with another poster, there is a lot of hardware and processing power in the K1. I would imagine a firmware update would go a long way to improving AF - clearly hardware is in place already (25 cross type compared with its competitors) and a processing engine derived from the 645z.

In response to another poster, I've recently been asked if I can provide video services in addition to stills (I'm a hobbyist who gets the odd paid gig right now).
It would be nice to have but I could wait.
I would also be willing to pay extra for faster memory card e.g. dual xqd and larger buffer and frame rate with same or smaller MP count. I KNOW pentax do not offer this right now, but I'd personally love to see them expand their FF body lineup, similar to Nikon and Canon. Yes Pentax is not nikon or canon but there are company nevertheless and are in it for the money.

The final thing I would love to see (and thanks Adam for linking the road map) is 35mm * 1.4, 50mm * 1.4 and 85mm * 1.4 weather sealed lenses. This I feel would go a long way to increasing their market share although judging by preorders and wait lists, there are a lot of people enjoying or waiting to enjoy the K1 (despite DPReviews comments on AF!)
07-19-2016, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Sort the AF out. Been a struggle on a two day commercial shoot, it's too slow (D-FA* 2.8/70-200). Customise more of the buttons, especially back button AF. Buffer, needs way more. FPS, needs more. Shutter button needs feedback. Scroll wheels must work without half pressing the shutter button between shots (this is really doing my head in).
I used to orient myself with a map and have a compass in case, it was slow but very reliable. Now I use a GPS, my orientation skills have dropped significantly, and when GPS lead me into a wrong path it upsets me against the GPS.

This AF thing... since the D5/D500 was announced, I don't know why , but all my subjects are moving faster to try to escape the camera viewfinder. because my models know that the D5 was out so they are making it more difficult to photograph them, of course, it the law of adaption. AF gets better and photo subjects try to escape it. In the 1980s, photographic subjects were moving only slightly faster than what manual focus could do, so that everyone was looking forward to autofocus.
07-19-2016, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
4K video is already obsolete (before you even had time to use it), now it's going to be 8K.
The technology is there, but not going to happen. 4k will be the standard for many years.

07-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I used to orient myself with a map and have a compass in case, it was slow but very reliable. Now I use a GPS, my orientation skills have dropped significantly, and when GPS lead me into a wrong path it upsets me against the GPS.

This AF thing... since the D5/D500 was announced, I don't know why , but all my subjects are moving faster to try to escape the camera viewfinder. because my models know that the D5 was out so they are making it more difficult to photograph them, of course, it the law of adaption. AF gets better and photo subjects try to escape it. In the 1980s, photographic subjects were moving only slightly faster than what manual focus could do, so that everyone was looking forward to autofocus.
Still shouldn't be as slow as it is, not in 2016.

Pentax need to sort this.
07-20-2016, 12:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
4K video is already obsolete (before you even had time to use it), now it's going to be 8K.
My HDD's free space strongly disagrees...
07-20-2016, 07:22 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
They would have to be careful not to cannibalise their MF offerings with a whiz-bang FF camera that exceeds the 645Z in features. Or else release a 645Z II with the same or better feature set...
The 'features' of the vast majority of MF cameras on the market are well below those of most FF cameras. The focus systems are less sophisticated, frame rates slower and so on. The one redeeming feature is the image quality from a much larger sensor. People are still buying Hasselblad or PhaseOne over a Canon 5D Mk III or Nikon D810, so why would people not buy a 645Z over a K1 II?
07-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #26
Banned

Some things are easy to forsee.

- the milbeaut processor will have a new faster version end 2017 or maybe beginnen 2018. They are on a 2 year cycle and the current one in the K-1 is just released end 2015.
- developing a new version af-module will take some two years, unless you would count little upgrades.

So don't expect anything in following the K-1 before CP+ 2018.
07-20-2016, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul2660 Quote
I also don't see Phase One coming out with a pixel shift solution either.
Another forum member stated they have been in contact with Phase One about PixelShift for the K-1 and that it will just take them time to implement it.

Honestly, though, I'll believe it when I see it. Some at Phase One may think that a K-1 with PixelShift support would somewhat compete with MF cameras Phase One is offering. I don't think there is an overlap in markets, but it does not matter what I personally think.

N.b., Capture One 9 Pro (by Phase One) is a great RAW converter and I have replaced Lightroom with it.

P.S.: The K-1 is a delight to use. I don't see it being replaced for quite a while to come. Demand and interest still seem to be high, even after the initial rush. A very well-deserved success for Ricoh!
07-21-2016, 01:07 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Another forum member stated they have been in contact with Phase One about PixelShift for the K-1 and that it will just take them time to implement it.

Honestly, though, I'll believe it when I see it. Some at Phase One may think that a K-1 with PixelShift support would somewhat compete with MF cameras Phase One is offering. I don't think there is an overlap in markets, but it does not matter what I personally think.

N.b., Capture One 9 Pro (by Phase One) is a great RAW converter and I have replaced Lightroom with it.

P.S.: The K-1 is a delight to use. I don't see it being replaced for quite a while to come. Demand and interest still seem to be high, even after the initial rush. A very well-deserved success for Ricoh!
Of all things photographic that need improvement, the number one is Adobe's RAW converter.
07-22-2016, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Of all things photographic that need improvement, the number one is Adobe's RAW converter.
That I'm afraid will not happen unless Pentax is per$uasive with Adobe the way others are... I hate to suspect that those things work this way, but I do...
07-22-2016, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
That I'm afraid will not happen unless Pentax is per$uasive with Adobe the way others are... I hate to suspect that those things work this way, but I do...
Adobe's LR RAW engine is prosumer at best for all camera brands. Capture One's is superb, but the user interface really takes some understanding.