Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2016, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Adobe's LR RAW engine is prosumer at best for all camera brands. Capture One's is superb, but the user interface really takes some understanding.
It has one huge advantage, however... compared to Silkypix/PDCU and DxOptics Pro the changes are applied almost instantly, rendering the workflow faster... probably that's achieved through a worse sampling algorithm for the preview but the fact remains that one can develop pics a lot faster, which is vital when one has a huge number of RAW files in the pipeline...

07-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
It has one huge advantage, however... compared to Silkypix/PDCU and DxOptics Pro the changes are applied almost instantly, rendering the workflow faster... probably that's achieved through a worse sampling algorithm for the preview but the fact remains that one can develop pics a lot faster, which is vital when one has a huge number of RAW files in the pipeline...
My LR keeps crashing, very slow, stalls and recovers. Driving me potty.
07-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
My LR keeps crashing, very slow, stalls and recovers. Driving me potty.
As far as I've understood, LR works a charm for someone and is a snail for others, always has been , and that's fairly hw-unrelated e.g. it could be fast with an i5 and crash with an i7... the people in the threads I've read have not found a solution...
As far as I'm concerned, LR demo was fine, Bridge crashed as soon as I opened it...

Last edited by LensBeginner; 07-26-2016 at 01:28 AM. Reason: typos - mobile device
07-25-2016, 05:32 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
As far as I've understood, LR works a charm for someone and is a snail for others, aleays has been , and that's fairly hw-umrelated e.g. it could befast with an i5 and crash with an i7... the people in the threads I've read have not found a solution...
As far as I'm concerned, LR demo was fine, Bridge crashed as soon as I opened it...
It's really odd. Could be the computer, but it goes through these phases of being ghastly, whilst other times it works fine.

I run a Clevo, 4Ghz i7k, 32gb ram + 8gb on the graphics card, twin 1tb SSD's.

09-15-2017, 11:56 PM   #35

Pentax K1 AF should be at leat of level of 5D mark II

Current AF sytem and lenses are so outdated that it is really impossible to shoow moving object or events even with central AF point. The system is responsive on paper but if you compare in real work 5D2 and 70-200 IS L series lens the system lack behind, you just miss 50% of photos you get with Canon. It is even worse with some DA* lenses like 50-135, it takes millenium to focus and the algorithms are really nonsense. It resembles me when Apple lacked RF engineers in house and they designed iPhone antenna - atennegate. Pentax team does not have anyone who knows basic physics and mathematics behind AF systems, they just tune and copy the same old outdated system. Even some compact dual pixel sensors beat them totally.

Worst problem, the pentax system can not predict phocus and can not tell to the lens where to move then, it just tries like CDAF and fails.

It is more wise to get 5D3 and forget all K1 and pentax stuff. There are much better options like Sony or 4/3 systems etc.
09-16-2017, 02:57 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadarpik Quote
It is more wise to get 5D3 and forget all K1 and pentax stuff. There are much better options like Sony or 4/3 systems etc.
Take whatever float your boat man.

I have an uterly outdated K5II and i can focus track with accuracy moving people, so i pretty much think that some tuning of the setting should solve your problem with the K1.

And i think that having lens that focus fast like the DFA*70-200 pretty much solve the speed issue of lens like the 50-135
09-16-2017, 05:00 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kadar, that is such a sad story. I will help you move on, never to return to this forum, by taking all of your Pentax gear. Just send it to me so that you can be free.

09-16-2017, 05:29 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Worst problem, the pentax system can not predict phocus and can not tell to the lens where to move then, it just tries like CDAF and fails.
Another candidate for the boriscleto Hall of Fame.
09-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
move on, never to return to this forum
dear oh dear oh dear....take the Presidents advice Kadar
09-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member

*snip* can not predict phocus *snip*
You would also need the "hocus" to do that...
09-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kadar may be too sad to leave his house and get the dreadful K-1 kit sent. I hope he can regain the composure needed to give it to me ASAP.

Then I will get a 40XS and take candid shots in the city and become rich. In spirit.
09-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Current AF sytem and lenses are so outdated that it is really impossible to shoow moving object or events even with central AF point. The system is responsive on paper but if you compare in real work 5D2 and 70-200 IS L series lens the system lack behind, you just miss 50% of photos you get with Canon. It is even worse with some DA* lenses like 50-135, it takes millenium to focus and the algorithms are really nonsense. It resembles me when Apple lacked RF engineers in house and they designed iPhone antenna - atennegate. Pentax team does not have anyone who knows basic physics and mathematics behind AF systems, they just tune and copy the same old outdated system. Even some compact dual pixel sensors beat them totally.

There we go again ....
Perhaps upgrading your K20D to another brand would be your best "alternative".
Cheers!
09-18-2017, 02:10 PM - 3 Likes   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My last statement on Pentax AF - and AF in general - is:

In 2002 my daughter was blessed to spend a week with an SI Staff Tog and then shoot the 100th annual contest of a HS football rivalry with him. For a juried portfolio. With a K1000 and manual focus K-mount lenses. She had a credited running-ballcarrier image published in the SI article. At age 18.

If you can't shoot action with a Pentax, the camera probably isn't the problem.
09-23-2017, 01:12 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
asahi man wrote yesterday there is NO other FF camera in development. No plans. Nothing above K-1. Nothing below K-1. They're working on lenses and APSc development.
For the K-1, I have read in other threads that there is a major fault with the shutter at some standard speeds creating vibration and consequently images affected with less sharpness. If this is right then they need to publicly acknowledge this and fix this error before any new development of the K-1. And, publicise from serial number xxx??? onward the problem fixed.

I am thankful that further aps-c development is happening.
09-23-2017, 02:04 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I gather it is not unique to the K-1, or Pentax.

The bigger the sensor, the bigger the shutter. The shutter causes vibrations, which can cause resonance in certain circumstances, and with higher resolution sensors it is easier to see. Learning which conditions make this an issue is part of mastering whichever system you are using.