Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Interesting article. So now autofocus is wonderful and Noise is not too good above ISO 400 ? Lets just combine DPreview and this Review and we have a winner on Paper !
I'm very pleased with autofocus for my needs and also very happy with High ISO to 3200. Maybe we need to just shoot more and be happy seeing the results , rather than wanting the reviews to meet or excede what we already know ?

07-28-2016, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #17
CDW
Veteran Member

It depends on the image content. A blue sky at 12,800 won't be acceptable, whereas a night sky at the same ISO, with judicious post processing is quite acceptable.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-29-2016, 12:37 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In my K-3 I can control noise reduction amounts applied at various ISO settings if I want to do so. Is that available in the K-1 and is it just too conservative for the test applied or is it just not enough even if adjusted compared to external raw converters?

---------- Post added 07-28-16 at 05:19 PM ----------

To be fair when I use high ISO I generally rely on DXO Optics pro prime noise reduction to wash away my problems rather than using the in camera settings.
the in camera noise reduction is for JPEGS only if im not mistaken (i dont have a k1, only the K5)..

i guess what they mean is the raw file straight from the camera is showing all the noise there is, without any level of NR, whereas the competition dials in some NR prior to any user-made adjustments.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Interesting article. So now autofocus is wonderful and Noise is not too good above ISO 400 ? Lets just combine DPreview and this Review and we have a winner on Paper !
I'm very pleased with autofocus for my needs and also very happy with High ISO to 3200. Maybe we need to just shoot more and be happy seeing the results , rather than wanting the reviews to meet or excede what we already know ?

see above, however this test measures the noise, not the resolution which remains excellent even at very high ISOs! the high iso resolution was measured in the same review, take a look
07-29-2016, 02:22 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is odd. I find the noise to be minimal to iso 6400. Yes, on a pixel level it is there, but as for a print, they come out looking very nice at those isos.

07-29-2016, 03:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

It's like the K-1 is jinxed when it comes to tests...... one lot can't seem to get it to focus and another find it noisey!

Bizzar all told.

Whoever is doing these tests..... I hope world peace doesn't depend upon them one day.

Last edited by noelpolar; 07-29-2016 at 03:29 AM.
07-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'm trying to compare this to my K-5II and cannot find this stated in the same way. Does anyone know that off-hand?

K-1 seems like an awesome camera for those that can really use the thing. I'll be in crop land for a very long time...
If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure Popular Photography rated the SR of the K-5 series at 2 1/2 stops. I can't remember it being anything over that.

I have the new issue of the magazine here with me. Looks like they made a mistake somewhere. Second paragraph under 'In the Test Lab' states an average Delta E color accuracy as excellent but not as good as the Nikon D5. But when I go look at the score of the D5 in the previous pages it isn't as good as the K-1.

Edit: Looking at how they test noise, this gives me a clue as to why noise scores aren't as high as we expected them to be.

www.popphoto.com/reviews

Last edited by traderdrew; 07-29-2016 at 08:11 AM.
07-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure Popular Photography rated the SR of the K-5 series at 2 1/2 stops. I can't remember it being anything over that.

I have the new issue of the magazine here with me. Looks like they made a mistake somewhere. Second paragraph under 'In the Test Lab' states an average Delta E color accuracy as excellent but not as good as the Nikon D5. But when I go look at the score of the D5 in the previous pages it isn't as good as the K-1.
Whoa, so this is about 80% better? Pack that and the updated AF back into a K-5IIs and call it the K-5Club and sell it for extreme low-light shooters!
07-29-2016, 09:49 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I read this article when it popped up on my online news reading service, and the first thing that caught my attention was their headline "Pentax’s first full-frame DSLR shines".

It was not "Pentax’s first full-frame DSLR still lags in AF" or "Pentax’s first full-frame DSLR noisy at moderate ISO".

The headline was the summary of their overall impression. I don't think we should be too critical of their view of a couple of aspects of performance, especially as there was no smug or smart-Alec commentary included there.

07-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

I too read it and thought it very fair and reasonable.

The review didn't get overly hung up on the drawbacks some other reviews focused on, and came down with the verdict that it is a very good camera and a pleasure to use.

So...it isn't the absolute greatest camera ever produced at any price point, but it is a darned good camera.

Why not just get out there and enjoy using it rather than focusing on reviews that are going to upset you, no matter how reasonable they are? Try photo hunting, not review hunting.
07-30-2016, 02:40 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I read this article when it popped up on my online news reading service, and the first thing that caught my attention was their headline "Pentax’s first full-frame DSLR shines".

It was not "Pentax’s first full-frame DSLR still lags in AF" or "Pentax’s first full-frame DSLR noisy at moderate ISO".

The headline was the summary of their overall impression. I don't think we should be too critical of their view of a couple of aspects of performance, especially as there was no smug or smart-Alec commentary included there.
QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
I too read it and thought it very fair and reasonable.

The review didn't get overly hung up on the drawbacks some other reviews focused on, and came down with the verdict that it is a very good camera and a pleasure to use.

So...it isn't the absolute greatest camera ever produced at any price point, but it is a darned good camera.

Why not just get out there and enjoy using it rather than focusing on reviews that are going to upset you, no matter how reasonable they are? Try photo hunting, not review hunting.
It's a fine review. I just don't understand how you could say that the K-1 has poor noise amounts at iso 3200 -- unless you are comparing it at a pixel level versus, say, an A7s or D5. If you resize the images so they are the same size, certainly the K-1 is "usable" at a lot higher iso than 3200.