Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma & K-1 Again!

Sorry for bringing this up again. I would like to know what you guys would do?After testing out a Sigma 85mm 1.4 lens at a camera store I later discovered my K-1 had fell victim to the dreaded body scratch. Now yes the mark is extremely minor but I feel my lovely new K-1 has been somewhat violated if that makes sense. I have contacted Sigma in the UK and they have confirmed they are paying for repairs to K-1 bodies that have been marked / damaged by their lenses. Firstly do I really want my K-1 tampered with? even if it is by qualified repair agents, it may come back with a more serious fault! Should I be concerned? I do tend to pamper my cameras so my feeling is the mark may effect the resale price when the time comes to sell. Anyway I guess I'm just thinking out aloud..

07-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say get it fixed if you can stand not having the camera for some number of weeks while it's in service. I doubt it'll make a big impact on the resale price, but you'll probably feel happy knowing there's no scratch Plus since the issue is current, repair shops will probably be trained on how to carry out the repair in the best way possible.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #3

For all we know they may just apply a bit of touch up paint on the scratch.

Has anybody sent their K-1 in for this repair? If not, then why all the fuss over the scratch in the first place?
07-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the word "repair" is probably pushing it for a smalll scratch and agree that touch-up paint will probably be the solution. Can't see them replacing anything. That said, if I were to ever purchase a used K-1, I'd not be bothered in the slightest by this type of scratch. Others might be. Also sad that a new K- user already has to factor resale into the consideration. I used my trusted MX and LX forever, never once thinking about resale value, but digital has surely changed that with quick update cycles. I actually see a lot of value in keeping a camera for a while and learning it's capabilities well, still have my wonderful K-5. I'd not send the K-1 off to "repair" such a small scratch, who knows what bangs it may receive in the mail!

07-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally I use my camera as a tool, so for me, I don't care about a scratch. I'm always putting it down on the ground, etc, while working. :-)
07-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
... who knows what bangs it may receive in the mail!
Based on the images I've seen demonstrating this dreaded scratch, I tend to agree there's greater potential harm in sending the camera via UPS/USPS et al. I think this whole scratch furor is extremely overblow, bordering on Kardashian style melodrama.

I have a couple of the lenses listed as culprits and I haven't even bothered to look. Mine's probably scratched, but my K1 isn't going to be a collectors item or museum centerpiece in the 22nd century. If that had been my intention, I would have encased it in amber the minute I received it.

If someone is going to haggle with me over price 2-3 years from now based on "the sigma scratch", I seriously doubt I'm even going to sell to them in the first place. I've got fingerprint and nose smudges on my LCD that are more obtrusive to everyday use than "the sigma scratch."
07-29-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
...my K1 isn't going to be a collectors item or museum centerpiece in the 22nd century. If that had been my intention, I would have encased it in amber the minute I received it.
Now that really would be WR

07-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I would worry more about the pictures you are taking than the hairline mark on the body.
07-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
After testing out a Sigma 85mm 1.4 lens at a camera store I later discovered my K-1 had fell victim to the dreaded body scratch.
While it is a bad thing for the scratch to happen, of course, I think it will be a stretch to ask Sigma to fix the scratch on the basis of a lens you merely tried out in store, but did not buy. If you try out a flash in store, or a tripod, you may also find small scratches on parts of your camera.
07-29-2016, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, the scratch would bother me to begin with. My first mark, scratch, ding on any item... car, guitar, camera, whatever... always bugs me for a little while, but after a few days it becomes liberating. I still look after my things, but once they get an inevitable tiny mark or two, I can stop babying them and really enjoy using them. A scratch is just a little honest wear and tear
07-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The only thing I don't understand is why you didn't buy the lens. That's an outstanding piece of glass!
07-29-2016, 09:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the same scratch when I tried out a Sigma 15-500 and before I knew of the notice to be careful of the series of lenses that would cause it. Since it is only a tool, I just ignored it. This happened then the K1 was a few days old
07-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't have a K-1...yet. Thinking next spring possibly. I do have a Sigma 150-500 which I'm quite happy with and use with my K-5. I use it mainly for wildlife, mostly raptors and also a bit of drag racing action.

I think when used on a ASP-C like my K-5 the 500 mm is the equivalent of 750mm ...somewhere around there. I'm thinking that I may not want to give up '250mm' by using the FF as opposed to the ASP-C. Given the right conditions, plenty of outdoor light, F 10-11, etc...I'm very pleased with the pics using my K-5. So I may just keep using the K-5 on the big Siggy rather than use the K-1 on this large lens.

I'm more interested in using a K-1, if I get one for wide angle shots and portraits. I figure among my current lenses, my 10-17 fisheye @ 17mm, 50 F1.4, 50 Macro F 2.8, 40 Limited and 70 Limited should work out well for those needs. I'm also thinking that either the new 24-70 F 2.8 or 28-105 should be a good general purpose, lens.
07-30-2016, 12:40 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you all for responding! I guess it would not even be as big an issue if a Sigma were not offering FREE repairs. And for those who don't know the repairs are carried out but Ricoh approved centres, looking at the camera you can see the casing surrounding the mount is a separate section, so I would think a straightforward replace of section would be the deal. I ended up buying the excellent Tamron 90mm macro and not the Sigma 85mm as I have the 77 limited which now after micro adjust performs great.
07-30-2016, 03:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I think when used on a ASP-C like my K-5 the 500 mm is the equivalent of 750mm ...somewhere around there. I'm thinking that I may not want to give up '250mm' by using the FF as opposed to the ASP-C. Given the right conditions,
I don't think you would really be loosing any reach since the FF K-1 has enough resolution to crop to the same 750mm equivalent, but you would be gaining on the wide end, perhaps making the lens even more useful than it already is.