Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2016, 04:06 PM   #1

Pixel shift & Lightroom

Hi,

I'm edditing my first Pixel Shift photos in Lightroom and continue to see problems with magenta and green colors in Lightroom. Does anybody know something about this problem and possible fixes?.

07-31-2016, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Unregistered User

Use DCU and export to tiff. Then use Lightroom.
07-31-2016, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there motion in your files? Remember that PS is only appropriate for stationary subjects and when you're on a tripod.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-31-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob83 Quote
Hi,

I'm edditing my first Pixel Shift photos in Lightroom and continue to see problems with magenta and green colors in Lightroom. Does anybody know something about this problem and possible fixes?.
Do you have version 9.6.1 or later of Adobe Camera Raw? If not you need for PixelShift to work properly.

RONC

07-31-2016, 04:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
Awesome!! Thank you, working now!!
07-31-2016, 07:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't believe LR accommodates pixel shift with motion correction. Straight pixel shift should work.
07-31-2016, 10:01 PM - 3 Likes   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for the comments. Problem fixed. Wanted to show you the result.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #8

Rob83 - what did you do to get this work? I have tried with both Lightroom 6.6 and Lightroom CC to no avail. Thanks.
08-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #9

Also, when the same RAW file (DNG) opened in "Preview" on Mac, it is rendered just fine. Not sure what is missing in Lightroom. I have tried this on two different Macs (with latest updates).
08-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #10

Seems Lightroom has support for PSR with caveats.

1. Picture must be taken using a Tripod. I guess LR reads metadata to determine if a picture was taken with a tripod or not. Also, I think any exposure over 2 seconds wont be rendered either though I have not tested this.
2. If a picture is taken without a tripod, there is no problem rendering it in DCU or Preview (on Mac). But, LR does not render it.
3. Make sure LR and ACR are up-to-date
08-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote

1. Picture must be taken using a Tripod. I guess LR reads metadata to determine if a picture was taken with a tripod or not. Also, I think any exposure over 2 seconds wont be rendered either though I have not tested this.
2. If a picture is taken without a tripod, there is no problem rendering it in DCU or Preview (on Mac). But, LR does not render it.
Hi,

The caveats are correct. To do my work i used a tripod and 2" exposure. Then in PC i opened the image in DCU, exported as Tiff and worked in LR from there. I also have another pic with 4S speed and works fine. I'm still learning about Pixelshift using different speeds and Stops but i'm starting to find impressive results but with some tricks here and there to make the pics reliable.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Rob83; 08-02-2016 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Incorrect working
08-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rob, just to be clear, the waterfall pic was motion corrected in PDCU before rendering to tiff?
08-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote

PDCU and ACR do not know anything about the tripod. I've taken a number of PSR shots placing camera on non-moving objects with good results.
RONC
08-03-2016, 06:56 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Rob, just to be clear, the waterfall pic was motion corrected in PDCU before rendering to tiff?
I just openned in DCU lab and save it as Tiff. Didn't have to do anyting else, the Lab itself corrects the weird colors when using pixelshift option On.
08-04-2016, 05:20 AM   #15
Forum Member

DCU, works just like the full version of Silkypix, Developer Studio or Pro, DCU IMO is very limited in capability for a raw file, and interface is based on win 3.1.

LR still can't handle any motion, period, leaves or water etc. Capture One doesn't support pixel shift and probably never will knowing Phase.

I don't believe Pixel shift even with the motion correction (in camera) can be handled without a tripod, at least from my experience. I have not fully understood if the motion correction setting in camera is for subject movement or camera movement (if you are trying hand held).

Converting to a tif in DCU and then working in LR, IMO defeats the whole point of a raw file, and it would be nice if LR would work on their conversion which is currently simply layering the 4 files on top of each other and flattening, thus the color artifacts. Silkypix works great, and can correct for some subject motion unlike LR, see my post in getdpi.

Pixel shift IMO is a great feature, and it's sad that Pentax did not work closer with Adobe to make sure that LR could work as well as Silkypix and instead relies on the DCU code, which is huge step in the wrong direction.

Examples of Silkypix vs LR on Pixel shift conversions (cross posted)

Paul C