Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As already mentioned, the first K-1 shot is certainly soft - probably because of missed focus, subject movement, camera movement, or a combination of the three.

The Sony image seems to have received a lot of sharpening/contrast/saturation boosting, either in-camera or from post processing, but it does look sharper. The faster shutter speed could account for at least some of that.

The third shot (with the K-1 again) is tack sharp; considerably better than the Sony image.

In a nutshell, your technique, rather than the gear, seems to be the problem with shot #1.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 08-03-2016 at 06:45 PM.
08-03-2016, 09:49 PM   #32

The 6300 has crazy fast and accurate focusing. Just use and enjoy.
08-04-2016, 02:37 AM   #33
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
As already mentioned, the first K-1 shot is certainly soft - probably because of missed focus, subject movement, camera movement, or a combination of the three.

The Sony image seems to have received a lot of sharpening/contrast/saturation boosting, either in-camera or from post processing, but it does look sharper. The faster shutter speed could account for at least some of that.

The third shot (with the K-1 again) is tack sharp; considerably better than the Sony image.

In a nutshell, your technique, rather than the gear, seems to be the problem with shot #1.
I'm using the same aperture, ISO and shutter speed , single point AF-S on both K1 and Sony a6300 and it appears Sony focuses lot a better, and as a matter of fact sharper image. K-1 is hit or miss, when focuses , it's super sharp otherwise, most of the pics even with Sigma 1.4 are soft. I'm gonna give it a try with Pentax DFA version of Tamron and see.
08-04-2016, 02:45 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is not what your posted images demonstrate.

08-04-2016, 02:52 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dr_romix Quote
I'm using the same aperture, ISO and shutter speed , single point AF-S on both K1 and Sony a6300 and it appears Sony focuses lot a better, and as a matter of fact sharper image. K-1 is hit or miss, when focuses , it's super sharp otherwise, most of the pics even with Sigma 1.4 are soft. I'm gonna give it a try with Pentax DFA version of Tamron and see.
I will say that what I see is that the Sony jpeg engine has contrast, saturation, and sharpening bumped up quite a bit compared to the Pentax one. I'm not sure if you are shooting jpegs or post processing in Lightroom (or a similar program), but if you are shooting jpegs, then it would probably be wise to adjust your jpeg settings to a little closer to what you like.

The Sony probably is better focusing, but I've found with newer lenses -- the DFA series in particular -- that the K-1 does very nicely with regards to auto focus.
08-04-2016, 05:54 AM   #36
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
That is not what your posted images demonstrate.
I'll post them shortly...

Last edited by dr_romix; 08-07-2016 at 11:15 AM.
08-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #37
Banned

Original Poster
Here are the shots with 4 cameras with almost same settings, light, timing: Pentax K-1, K-3, Sony a6300, Nikon D500 with two lenses. Please read the watermark and let me know what you think. I think Nikon and Sony are the sharpest and Both Pentax K-1 and K-3 front focus with all three lenses I used.

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

6-

7-

08-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Interesting.... I guess what you're saying is you haven't calibrated the Pentax lenses? I'm not sure.

Which camera would I buy of the posted images, if that image was one I wanted for some reason?

I wouldn't buy the Nikon, whats with the way the king is bleached on the first two?

I'm not clear on why the head is so much bigger A6300. bigger means more magnification and smoother bokeh...

for best image I'd go with Pentax K-1 with Pentax 24-70, but honestly...

I'd go with the cheapest. I can work with any of those images to get what I want. Oops the would be my K-3.....
08-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #39
Veteran Member

None of these are comparable in my view, focal lengths are varied, shadows and exposure are varied with orientations at differing angles. Clicked on flickr and there was detail in all photos but the light and shade makes it difficult with the varying focal lengths. if any thing the Pentax was back focused looking at the first image hair detail. Are the lenses calibrated?
08-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #40
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
None of these are comparable in my view, focal lengths are varied, shadows and exposure are varied with orientations at differing angles. Clicked on flickr and there was detail in all photos but the light and shade makes it difficult with the varying focal lengths. if any thing the Pentax was back focused looking at the first image hair detail. Are the lenses calibrated?
None of them are calibrated. Brand new lens and camera except my K3 and Tamron. All portrait mode, Auto WB, 0 compensation, no in body sharpening , straight out jpeg.
08-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #41
Veteran Member

None of them are calibrated. Brand new lens and camera except my K3 and Tamron. All portrait mode, Auto WB, 0 compensation, no in body sharpening , straight out jpeg.
The lens calibration there was video on the subject somewhere on the forum tried searching for it but no luck. Would be a benefit to calibrate your lenses then compare apples to apples sorry for the cliche.
08-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you need to try to calibrate your lens and adjust your jpegs to your taste. Bumping contrast and fine sharpening would probably be a start, since it seems you like those at a little higher level than the normal setting has them at.
08-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

This a portrait of my son at his school formal last year, the K-01 and DA16-45 lens it was informal photo prior to the event. The eyes are little bit dark and next time I take portraits I will wear a cream/white shirt to assist in reflected light into the eyes.

08-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #44

Here are the shots with 4 cameras with almost same settings, light, timing: Pentax K-1, K-3, Sony a6300, Nikon D500 with two lenses. Please read the watermark and let me know what you think. I think Nikon and Sony are the sharpest and Both Pentax K-1 and K-3 front focus with all three lenses I used.

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

6-

7-
What I see is a full frame camera with a 24-70 and some aps-c cameras with the equivalent of 36-105 lenses on them. The pictures appear to have been taken from the same location. The longer equivalent focal length on the the aps-c cameras causes the image of the face to look larger and thus the eye is able to see more detail in the aps-c shots. Please use the same equivalent focal lengths if you want to produce the same size images of faces from the same distance. In other words your test is just accidentally biased.
08-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
None of them are calibrated.

You need to go through this with all lens purchases, Dr_Romix ... I don't know why you haven't already.

They may need zero adjustment ... but that's not the point.

No one here is interested in 'prove I'm right' pics taken with uncalibrated lenses.