Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2016, 02:27 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Wasn't that just an estimate done by Nikkei, and not hard data?

08-08-2016, 04:05 AM - 2 Likes   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I haven't bought any, I don't rate my lenses as great, but I do rate them as good enough for me to enjoy FF photography AND crop photography!
Perhaps you don't need to too.
There are enough lenses from the current ones out there (old and new) to make up a very good high IQ kit.

A kit like the Samyang 14, K28/3.5, FA50/1.4; FA77ltd already makes up a very capable kit on the Pentax K1.

Not to mention other combinations like :
UWA - Samyang 14; Laowa 12, DFA15-30
UWA (less wide) - Voigtlander 20/3.5
Wides : Samyang 24/1.4; Samyang 24TS; K28/3.5; M28/3.5; FA28/2.8; FA35/2; FA31ltd; Sigma 35/1.4
Normal : Sigma 50/1.4; FA50/1.4; FA43ltd
Short tele : FA77ltd; Sigma 85/1.4; DFA100 Macro WR
Long tele : DFA200; 300; Sigma 500/4.5

Zooms :
Tamron 28-75/2.8
Sigma 24-70/2.8
DFA28-105
DFA24-70
DFA150-450
DFA70-200

The "Not enough lenses" claim is just rubbish.
08-08-2016, 05:53 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The cost was reported as 85 mio. EUR, I think even at that time of very weak USD that would barely have been $120 mio.

That is what you pay for a rather small local, family owned, national company usually. I'd call it an symbolic price.
That shows how much value Hoya put on the camera division. They wanted to unload it, they hadn't wanted it in the first place.
08-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
There are enough lenses from the current ones out there (old and new) to make up a very good high IQ kit.
Yes, completely agree

Anyone who says theres a shortage of glass to use on any Pentax is way off the mark.Some may not be happy because"other" brands have more variety but how many lenses are actually needed and used?

08-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
IIRC TN uses a lot of Canon. Native-platform legacy glass is a door which is absolutely closed to him on that front, and maybe his mindset just isn't there.

It's a door closed to most pro's who can't/won't/don't want to dork around finding the lenses they need to do the jobs they need to get done. Pro's need to be able to order from B&H today and have the new lens on their doorstep tomorrow. Or borrow the lens from Canon or Nikon Professional Services, or rent the lens from somewhere. All of this is impossible if the lens isn't even currently in production.
08-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #81
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
It's a door closed to most pro's who can't/won't/don't want to dork around finding the lenses they need to do the jobs they need to get done.
The vast majority of us are not Pros. I seldom lament that I can't buy a Racing Machine for Daytona at my Chevy or Ford dealer. I can buy a pretty fast car there.....

What lens are you wanting that you can't get?

Regards!
08-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a door closed to most pro's who can't/won't/don't want to dork around finding the lenses they need to do the jobs they need to get done. Pro's need to be able to order from B&H today and have the new lens on their doorstep tomorrow. Or borrow the lens from Canon or Nikon Professional Services, or rent the lens from somewhere. All of this is impossible if the lens isn't even currently in production.
I take your point, but then again, I strongly suspect that Tony Northrup's primary audience is not professional photographers that operate this way, many of whom probably have forgotten more about photography than Tony will ever know.

The K-1 was made first of all for the die-hards, the true loyal Pentaxians; the ones who have time to think about their glass and then hunt it down. For everyone else there is the Pentax zoom trinity from 15 to 200 at 2.8 to get the ball rolling. The rest will follow as soon as they can turn it out at the appropriate level of excellence. Would you prefer that they rush it out the door and then have to recall it for some stupid reason?

08-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter

You are talking about a very, very small percentage of pros.
Probably less than 1% need that type of service, or will qualify for it (other than the door to door service from B&H if they happen to live in the USA)
08-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #84
Veteran Member

The cost was reported as 85 mio. EUR, I think even at that time of very weak USD that would barely have been $120 mio.

That is what you pay for a rather small local, family owned, national company usually. I'd call it an symbolic price.
I think they have made that back just off me......
08-13-2016, 01:50 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Anyone who says theres a shortage of glass to use on any Pentax is way off the mark.Some may not be happy because"other" brands have more variety but how many lenses are actually needed and used?
I think there are two separate problems here:

1. Someone new to Pentax, or a Pentax user with "more conventional" purchasing habits, is less likely than enthusiasts in Pentax forums to have legacy lenses, to be interested in buying 2nd-hand lenses, or even to rely on 3rd-party lenses.

2. I've been a Pentax SLR user for 49 years, but I want top-quality lenses with WR (or better), long lenses with the zoom ring rather than the focusing ring towards the end, confidence that they will work well on current and future Pentax FF cameras, etc. (And I'm prepared to pay for them).

There is no doubt that there is a shortage of Pentax lenses that satisfy either of these groups!
(I have all 5 of the modern Pentax FF zooms, plus other current FF lenses such as the DA* 300mm f/4 and the D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR).

Even when the FF roadmap for 2017 and beyond has been delivered, there will still be holes that I will want Ricoh to fill.
08-13-2016, 01:59 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The vast majority of us are not Pros.
Pro's are completely irrelevant in the photography market today, other than a handful of names you can exploit for marketing to the noobs. But then any current starlet probably has more effect.
In Germany only 1 out of 200 interchangeable lens cameras is sold to a "pro" and "pro" here is defined at maximum range (anyone wanting to make any money with it, case-by-case and part time included).

Any smart company today listens to the enthusiast hobbyists first and last. That is where they make money.
Not with the handful leftover lighthouse keepers.
08-13-2016, 02:15 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Profit from pros OR profit from amatuers, what would Ricoh choose if they could have one or the other but not both?
08-13-2016, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #88
Pentaxian

Profit from wealthy amateurs - they're paying more and demanding less ;-)
08-13-2016, 03:49 AM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I read an investment banking report published by the Japanese division of my former employer that stated to compete with Canon and Nikon on their terms would require an immediate investment of $1,400,000,000, a number Ricoh could not afford since they were already committed to a $1,200,000,000 investment in a China factory and entering the MFP market.
I don't think that selling online is not a viable business since we now buy more and more online, and selling online is cheaper than bricks&mortar shops. So, Pentax could be sustainable without necessarily having stocks in a lot of shops. But, selling online also means that after sales services can also be "online" even if small, they must be impeccable, having most parts in inventory to avoid 2 month of delay, and that does not need 1 billion spending.
08-13-2016, 04:27 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Pro's are completely irrelevant in the photography market today, other than a handful of names you can exploit for marketing to the noobs. But then any current starlet probably has more effect.
In Germany only 1 out of 200 interchangeable lens cameras is sold to a "pro" and "pro" here is defined at maximum range (anyone wanting to make any money with it, case-by-case and part time included).

Any smart company today listens to the enthusiast hobbyists first and last. That is where they make money.
Not with the handful leftover lighthouse keepers.
Most of the people I know who use Canon 1D-series cameras, and associated top-tier lenses, are amateurs who take their (our) hobby very seriously indeed!

I think that is compatible with what you just said.
Closed Thread