Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Full Frame a Mistake?

Tony Northrup is not to impressed with Ricoh/Pentax for going ahead with the K-1 in this video. He does like the camera, in fact he choose as one of the best of the year, he just feels that Pentax may have lost the opportunity to really go pro with APS-C.

The Biggest Mistake Each Camera Manufacturer Has Made

Interesting comments on some of the other manufacturers as well.

08-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

That's the best he can do? I think Ricoh will accept that 'mistake' cheerfully.
08-05-2016, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pro APS-C would have been a mistake. Pentax fills niches, rather than competing with the mainstream.

The K-1 is an amazing value and really has no serious flaws IMO, short of the subpar AF that we've learned to deal with.
08-05-2016, 09:08 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What a different world it would be if they had evolved that 110 Pro and dropped the 35mm and medium format gear.

08-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
pjv
Eager To Learn

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Full Frame a Mistake?

I think the owners and users here would have a much different opinion !!! I know whose is important too.
08-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Opinions, opinions, opinions. Everyone has an opinion. I would love to have a pro APSC as I'm not going into Full Frame. I also wish I could afford APS-C professional grade lenses particularly those that are to be made by Pentax. However, that doesn't mean that Pentax Full Frame is a mistake. We have to look at the sales record of the K-1 before we can say it's a failure or a mistake. And judging it now, is just premature and too soon.

To all K-1 owners, go out and enjoy your camera. I don't own one but from all the feedback here, I believe you guys like what you have very much. Don't listen to the criticism of others. In the end, having a K-1 is your decision. And that, is the opinion that counts!

Last edited by totsmuyco; 08-05-2016 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Grammar
08-05-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Well the K-1 is what I have been craving for sometime. I'm busily saving for it - otherwise might have just have stuck with K-5 until it died (for my shooting style I didn't want more resolution at the expense of high ISO).

In any case, whether an enthusiast ends up getting a K-1 one or not, there is a general perception out there that a camera manufacturer is not serious about professional unless they have a full frame option. So as long as Pentax can continue without neglecting APS-C lens range then surely this is a good thing sales wise.
08-05-2016, 09:56 PM   #8
HYS

The APS-C cameras from Pentax will never be considered as really professional
thanks the weak auto-focus system. Ricoh has to improve it promptly.

08-05-2016, 11:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

he couldn't find much to say about Pentax i guess. We actually look pretty good compared to some of those other losers, according to his list, lol
08-06-2016, 12:28 AM   #10

From my perspective, let's get some more 'mistakes'. K-1 is a fantastic machine without comparison. The only mistake here is perhaps this video, filled with mistakes. Ricoh/Pentax please make some more 'mistakes'.
08-06-2016, 12:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Tony Northrup is not to impressed with Ricoh/Pentax for going ahead with the K-1 in this video. He does like the camera, in fact he choose as one of the best of the year, he just feels that Pentax may have lost the opportunity to really go pro with APS-C.

The Biggest Mistake Each Camera Manufacturer Has Made

Interesting comments on some of the other manufacturers as well.

And you are listening to Tony Northrup, why?

I am not going to say that Tony is a bad photographer by any means. I have seen a little bit of his work and it is what you would and should expect out of a professional photographer. My problem with Tony is,...there is just something about him I don't like. I have watched and tried to watch some of the videos he has posted on youtube, but I just can't do it. Something about him just rubs me wrong. Maybe, just to me, he seems like an elitist or a snob. He could be the nicest guy in the world, but when he is in front of the camera...I just don't know.

As for him to call the K1 a mistake, well he is wrong. I don't have one and at the moment, one is not coming my way unless I win the lottery. If I could afford one, I would buy it like right now. With the type of photography I like to do, I think it would almost be perfect. And I would give the auto focus a work out because sometimes I do photograph motorsports.
08-06-2016, 01:52 AM - 3 Likes   #12

Fullframe,a mistake for Pentax
Yes,this tells all about him
08-06-2016, 02:15 AM   #13
Pentaxian

So here we go again. Attack the messenger not the message. The recent Pentax APS-C bodies have been showing how far the technology can go as far as pushing image quality. Full-frame will take away R&D from the APS-C in some ways yet facilitate it in others. Lenses would be one area. That's all.

Some people will tell you Full Frame was mistake because Ricoh should have gone for an APS-H sensor. The messengers in those cases gets roundly attacked too.

As one of my high school gym coaches used to say: "Opinions are like anuses (actual wording was a vulgar term). Everybody is entitled to one".
08-06-2016, 02:47 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Northrup's comments are IMO akin to the disingenuous behaviour of (for example) Democrats who say they'd be happy if Joe Bloggs was the Republican Candidate instead of Jane Smith, because said Democrats know that Jane Smith would eat their candidate alive in the general election whereas Bloggs would fall.

I think the motivation is that Northrup feels threatened by a camera which is as good as any of the other mainline flagships (excluding costly outliers like the D5), while being $1000 cheaper for essentially the same performance and then some. That plus he doesn't really understand Pentax and its place in the market.

In this case I think there is plenty to criticise about both the message and the messenger; it doesn't help that I happen to be one of those people who for some reason finds it difficult to watch any of Tony's videos all the way through. He smiles too much and it gives me a Pod Person vibe, or perhaps they are the photographic version of the Mysterious Two? TV Movies of the Week: Mysterious Two (1982)
08-06-2016, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

"Pentax Full Frame, a mistake" is the kind of statement which would attract more views/clicks/comments. Being controversial works - and that, IMO, is the purpose of the video. We should not take it too seriously.

I'd like Pentax to make more "mistakes" like the 645z and the K-1.
Closed Thread