Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #496
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Mine does not. I posted earlier some examples and they are super clean. 5-8min easily without LENR. I cannot say for sure it is the accelerator doing it but there is noticeable difference in a good way. And, if it is the accelerator, then it has other triggering mechanisms than pure ISO setting.
Wonder if you know - if I upgrade my K-1, would they swap the sensor as well (assuming white dots is sensor related), or I'll still have the same sensor plus the accelerator chip. I'm still contemplating if I want to upgrade or not..

05-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #497
Veteran Member

Nope sorry I have no idea about that. Just remember that new sensor for D800 did cost few hundred euros alone when I failed and slipped to river back in 2012. Based on that I could imagine 500 euro upgrade cost does not include new sensor and work hours to switch it.
05-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #498
Veteran Member

Nope sorry I have no idea about that. Just remember that new sensor for D800 did cost few hundred euros alone when I failed and slipped to river back in 2012. Based on that I could imagine 500 euro upgrade cost does not include new sensor and work hours to switch it.
Mm, it is 2018 though, but of course I wouldn't know the depreciation rate of something complicated such as a dslr sensor. In any rate, maybe it's that new chip that is reducing the issue? I see the dots in room temperature at any iso with NR off, but I had 0 problems with it shooting outside in winter nights, so it's definitely a heat issue with my unit..
05-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #499
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Wonder if you know - if I upgrade my K-1, would they swap the sensor as well
No. Everything except the mainboard and the SR badge stays the same.

05-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #500
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No. Everything except the mainboard and the SR badge stays the same.
Ok, thanks for clarification Kunzite!
05-16-2018, 04:46 AM   #501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine does not. I posted earlier some examples and they are super clean. 5-8min easily without LENR. I cannot say for sure it is the accelerator doing it but there is noticeable difference in a good way. And, if it is the accelerator, then it has other triggering mechanisms than pure ISO setting.
Thanks! It would be very useful if other members have the same experience as you. I would buy the K1 II right now, if I knew that WD are history with the K1 II. :-)
05-16-2018, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #502
Veteran Member

Yes, it is not known whether brand new mk2 also suffers from uncalibrated sensors. And if I got lucky there. However with KP it is not possible there is no filtering going on when doing extremely long exposures. Same sensor which is in KP just does not deliver in long exposures in competitors' offerings. They are night and day apart. KP has accelerator so 1+1 = ?

08-05-2018, 01:35 AM   #503
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if this is a part of this problem (White dot) but i've got some colored pixel (Red/Blue/Green) on long exposure pixelshift picture.

PixelShift, 30s Iso 1600 f/2.8 Pentax K1

Any idea ?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-05-2018, 03:04 AM   #504
Veteran Member

Full samples please. That downsampled image does not show the whole truth. Although, last image reminds me of my first k-1 body when doing PS with long exposures and high ISO.

Is yours similar to this 100% crop?

08-05-2018, 05:00 AM   #505
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZeGaby Quote
I don't know if this is a part of this problem (White dot) but i've got some colored pixel (Red/Blue/Green) on long exposure pixelshift picture.

PixelShift, 30s Iso 1600 f/2.8 Pentax K1

Any idea ?
These look like ordinary hot pixels. Run the "pixel mapping" function (Wrench #4 menu) and try a 30sec ISO 1600 test shot with the lens cap on to see if it corrects the problem.
08-05-2018, 06:10 AM   #506
Pentaxian

Full samples please. That downsampled image does not show the whole truth. Although, last image reminds me of my first k-1 body when doing PS with long exposures and high ISO.

Is yours similar to this 100% crop?
Oh sorry,

This is the full sample jpeg file

Not it's not the same !
08-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #507
Veteran Member

I would say that is normal for Sony 36MP sensor. Especially as PS takes 4 frames and this warms up the sensor somewhat. The dots were almost all gone when my first K-1 was calibrated, twice I should add. First calibration did not get rid of dark band in the top of the image.
08-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #508
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Would be a nice test to see. Although I wonder if it also "eats" faint stars.
Why do people keep raising this non-issue?? The astrophotography magazine answered it in June "While I don’t personally have the original K-1 with which to compare this K-1 Mark II, in DPReview’s full review of the K-1 Mark II, they showed that the original K-1 could resolve slightly more detail at ISOs above 400. It’s it a big difference? Not really. In practice, the difference is very small and I never felt disappointed with the K-1 Mark II’s capability to resolve detail at high ISOs. Most importantly, the problem is not detrimental to star details and does not present the same problem as the Sony star-eater issue. "

Pentax K-1 Mark II Astrophotography Review – Lonely Speck

added: I just noticed that your question was asked before then, but now it has a definite answer.
08-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #509
Pentaxian

I would say that is normal for Sony 36MP sensor. Especially as PS takes 4 frames and this warms up the sensor somewhat. The dots were almost all gone when my first K-1 was calibrated, twice I should add. First calibration did not get rid of dark band in the top of the image.
Thanks for your answer, i send the original files to Pentax too.
10-14-2018, 06:54 PM   #510
Veteran Member

I usually don't shoot with exposure longer than 30 sec., but recently I was shooting Milky Way, turned the noise reduction off, and got "snow" all over the images. Here is the sample crop, on just 63 sec. It's a nightmare to clean all of it manually. What should I do now?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo