Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #106
Pentaxian

I did a 1min exposure with the lens cap on at ISO 1600 at room temperature. LENR set to "OFF", of course.

The resulting frame shows some hot pixels of various colours but no "white pixel" problem. Seems that not all cameras are affected.

08-31-2016, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #107
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I did a 1min exposure with the lens cap on at ISO 1600 at room temperature. LENR set to "OFF", of course.

The resulting frame shows some hot pixels of various colours but no "white pixel" problem. Seems that not all cameras are affected.
This has been my experience too when trying to reproduce the effect using the lens cap. But I do get the white dots when using astrotracer and when I've used the composite mode. When you get out to use these modes next have a look and see if you get them then.

Personally I am not wasting my time looking for them even though I know they exist in certain modes with my camera. I'd rather just take photos for now and when mine goes in soon (a mirror issue) I'll ask them to check it out then. For now I'll take photos and enjoy what the camera does well. I might even go chasing surfers this weekend too, as cyclists are too hard.

Tas
08-31-2016, 05:14 PM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How long have you owned the camera? If less than a month, you dealer is your best resource if you believe you have a defective product. Most will assist you with troubleshooting and will generally offer a no-hassle exchange.
I pre-ordered mine and received it in early May, so it has been awhile. I took a look at B&H's return policy, and it seems to be limited to 30 days. I guessed I would have to deal with Ricoh directly, and I don't have any problem with that. I will likely wait and see how the repair process goes for people who have already started it before sending mine in.
08-31-2016, 10:21 PM   #109
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Well, 1min at iso 1600, you are gentlemen I see.

09-01-2016, 05:12 AM - 2 Likes   #110
Veteran Member

To avoid multiple threads discussing this matter I will share few heretic thoughts on this. Examples Paul2660 has shared on his blog and this forum, have exactly the same dot problem my unit has and were shown in my examples. According to Paul he experienced them with Nikons and so did I. The dots look the same. Random spread, amount related to exposure length and so on. Just as with Nikon bodies. Even A7r can be exposed long enough to pop them up even if Sony does a "cleaning job" for the RAW file in-camera.

Some do not have the issue. It would be interesting to see more examples from people whose units are perfect. If RAW files and scientific analyzes are required from unlucky ones who have bad units, then the same can be asked from sunshine folk. Go on, prove that the issue does not exist. Maybe the heretics can be turned instead of burning on the pyre.

My next experiment will be ISO3200 120 second test with a loaner unit should I get one. If not I will have to wait for service job. There will be one additional test in dry Sauna, +50C temp.
09-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #111
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
There will be one additional test in dry Sauna, +50C temp.
Your camera is rated to -10C to +40C. If it fries at +50C, it will not be a quality issue.

Steve
09-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #112
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by banep Quote
80% yes.
I'm not 100% sure because I don't know what kind of camera/computer processing is applied on those files, but those bright white dots outside of the sky doesn't looks like random noise.
If you upload raw file I'll give you answer with 100% accuracy.
Ok,i've upload the Raw now(Here)
I've made another test to compare my K-1 and my K-3 on dark, 30s at different Iso

09-01-2016, 08:35 AM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Some do not have the issue. It would be interesting to see more examples from people whose units are perfect. If RAW files and scientific analyzes are required from unlucky ones who have bad units, then the same can be asked from sunshine folk. Go on, prove that the issue does not exist. Maybe the heretics can be turned instead of burning on the pyre.
I agree. It would be good to see more examples/proof from the non-white-dot K-1's out there. I think it would help clarify the situation for all. I have interest in having mine repaired primarily because there is allegedly significant variation between the K-1's out there, which would prove that it is a QC issue regardless of how other sensors/brands perform.
09-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JBox Quote
It would be good to see more examples/proof from the non-white-dot K-1's out there.
ZeGaby has just uploaded two sample files which don't show a single white dot, so there you have your sample file.

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeGaby Quote
Ok,i've upload the Raw now(Here)
A lot of noise, but for a body heated up to 27 °C at ISO 12800 using along expsoure and no DFS that is not surprising.
Sadly we currently don't get the sensor temperature from the metadata as well, which usually is a couple of degrees higher than the body temperature when it is being used.

Interestingly the JPGs do show some bright artifacts, where there is nothing (not even a lighter green oder blue) in the raw data. Looks like a funny software issue. Maybe sharpening combined with weird demosaicing and noise reduction?
09-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #115
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeGaby Quote
I've made another test to compare my K-1 and my K-3 on dark, 30s at different Iso
Thanks for including these in the mix. Astrophotography is something I have been playing with using my K-3 and I have been curious as to whether the noise I have been seeing is representative for the camera and how the K-1 compares.

Steve
09-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #116
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Interestingly the JPGs do show some bright artifacts, where there is nothing (not even a lighter green oder blue) in the raw data. Looks like a funny software issue. Maybe sharpening combined with weird demosaicing and noise reduction?
Nothing in the raw data? I guess that depends on which raw converter you use and what it does behind the scenes.
On the right side you have the raw data without hot pixel removal or chroma filters engaged, and to the left the with some filters activated. There are white dots there but in this case they are easily removed.
Attached Images

09-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Nothing in the raw data? I guess that depends on which raw converter you use and what it does behind the scenes.
On the right side you have the raw data without hot pixel removal or chroma filters engaged, and to the left the with some filters activated. There are white dots there but in this case they are easily removed.
What software are you using to clean up the files? Is this RawTherapy or Phase One?
09-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #118
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
What software are you using to clean up the files? Is this RawTherapy or Phase One?
This was RawTherapee.
09-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #119
Pentaxian

If you want to see the actual raw content without software presharpening and other effects, use rawdigger or fastrawviewer.
Both can be used as testversions.
There is no white in there. Chroma noise is absolutely normal.
09-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
This was RawTherapee.
Seems to be doing an outstanding work on cleaning up the file. Is it possible to export a processed raw from there and continue processing in lightroom without loss of data? I wouldn't mind adding an extra step to my process.