Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #466
Veteran Member

That is another story. Yes, the dots were mostly gone and comparable to fixed Nikon D810 (which had the same issue), however I also had that black stripe present which required 2nd calibration to get it right. My 2nd K-1 was super clean all the way up to 4-5mins @ ISO100 without any additional noise reduction when doing long exposure landscape photography. I sold all digital stuff in May and swapped to using Intrepid 4x5 camera which has remained my primary system since then. It has no noise issues 3 hours long exposure? No problem!

09-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #467
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
That is another story. Yes, the dots were mostly gone and comparable to fixed Nikon D810 (which had the same issue), however I also had that black stripe present which required 2nd calibration to get it right. My 2nd K-1 was super clean all the way up to 4-5mins @ ISO100 without any additional noise reduction when doing long exposure landscape photography. I sold all digital stuff in May and swapped to using Intrepid 4x5 camera which has remained my primary system since then. It has no noise issues 3 hours long exposure? No problem!
I guess I'm going to chat with Pentax tomorrow. Actually, I need to check if I have any white dots at ISO 100
09-06-2017, 02:51 AM   #468
Veteran Member

How did your chat go? Did they admit there is an issue or still strictly unofficial business?
09-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #469

I got around to doing some test images last night. I did a sequence of 3 at ISO800, then 2 at ISO100, and finally another at ISO800. I did a map pixels between the two ISO100 images. That removed some of the obvious hot pixels, but not any of the noise that we are concerned with. See the sequence here. A number of the images are mostly light because clouds kept moving through. My K-1 was reporting a few degrees higher temp, but they all still look pretty bad by comparison. I have not done any LE stuff since I had it calibrated around a year ago. I guess ignorance is bliss after all.

@MJKoski
Would it be possible for you to post 4 minute ISO100 and ISO800 examples from your second K-1? It would be really good to get some kind of baseline in this thread.

09-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #470
Veteran Member

They immediately told me to call Precision Camera that repairs Pentax products in USA, and Precision just told me to send it in, no questions asked. It seemed like they know about the issue, but I can't be certain as they haven't admitted it outright. I also mentioned the shutter shock issue, they asked to send the lens in as well. I'm doing some final tests now, I tried the pixel mapping, will see if it does anything.
09-07-2017, 01:10 AM   #471
Veteran Member

@Jbox

I do not have any (Pentax) digital gear anymore. I can search my archives for whatever test shots there may be from January when I received the 2nd unit. Most likely high ISO stuff related to dark frames. Maybe some lucky local shooter now has the unit as I sold it to a brick & mortar store which buys used gear.
09-07-2017, 05:41 AM   #472

I can search my archives for whatever test shots there may be from January when I received the 2nd unit.
I would very much appreciate it if you could. I think it would be very helpful for @awscreo and I to have your test images to compare to our tests.

09-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #473
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JBox Quote
I would very much appreciate it if you could. I think it would be very helpful for @awscreo and I to have your test images to compare to our tests.
Definitely. I've just shipped my camera out to Precision, hope they'll be able to help me. I dunno if I'm over reacting, I actually just noticed those for the first time after a full year of enjoying the camera, but I figured if it's not normal, and I bought the damn extended warranty, might as well use it and get an even better camera (fingers crossed)
12-09-2017, 03:07 AM   #474

My K-1 has the same white dot issue starting from 1min exposures and above. Calibration does not helped, so the camera was sent to France for service. There they changed the CMOS (the whole SR block actually) and guess what? Nothing happened... Still white dots everywhere...
12-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #475
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Markovo Quote
My K-1 has the same white dot issue starting from 1min exposures and above. Calibration does not helped, so the camera was sent to France for service. There they changed the CMOS (the whole SR block actually) and guess what? Nothing happened... Still white dots everywhere...
oh man...feel sorry for you.

When I discovered my camera was suffering the WD issue, I had a few email exchange with French Ricoh support with sample pics, then had to talk directly to the official repairshop that Ricoh redirected me to.
there, They had no clue how to deal with this issue, I forwarded them email exchange, this forum specific thread and some other french forums reporting the issue. After a week of phone calls etc they told me that I can send them my camera but they wouldnt know what to do, that they will need to check a couple things ...but they had no clue what to do ...I decided no to send the camera and waste my time.

It's a shame the way Ricoh handle this issue, at least in France.
03-23-2018, 03:35 AM   #476

Got me a second K-1 Body (second hand) and found that it also has the White Dot issue... Send some test photos to the local service, which they forwarded to Ricoh/Pentax. Still no answer and a resolution to the problem...
03-23-2018, 04:22 AM   #477
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Is there anyone that doesn't have the white dots? More or less.
03-23-2018, 05:46 AM   #478

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I personally know a man that has two K-1 Silver bodies and both of them doesn't experience the White Dot problem.
03-23-2018, 05:53 AM   #479
Pentaxian

@Jbox

I do not have any (Pentax) digital gear anymore. I can search my archives for whatever test shots there may be from January when I received the 2nd unit. Most likely high ISO stuff related to dark frames. Maybe some lucky local shooter now has the unit as I sold it to a brick & mortar store which buys used gear.
I always thought I be retiring with a 4x5 camera. Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men, often come to naught.
03-23-2018, 06:21 AM   #480
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I have had my K-1 for 16 months. Zero white dot issues. I do a fair amount of low light photography.