Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 11:20 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Good of you to share your experiences.

QuoteOriginally posted by EdMaximus Quote
I can never figure out why some people don't consider Pentax dslrs as capable professional tools. Even when I had my k100, I was able to create quality work with it. The K3 has been my work horse for the past 2 years and I never see myself as a lesser photographer because of it. To the OP: keep shooting and keep making your clients happy.
I'd say that being a "professional" brand has little to do with the quality of the gear (and nothing at all to do with AF!) and everything to do with the support organisation. How quickly can you get replacement bodies or lenses if something breaks?

There is no doubt that Pentax makes tools that deliver top quality images, no need to worry about that. What is lacking (still) is the support.

Then again, Pentax bodies are cheap. Even the 645Z is cheap if you consider the alternatives. You can pretty much buy 3 for the price of 2 (or less) and have good redundancy.

09-02-2016, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
Any chance we can see your work?
have a shoot on monday with a sports car and some models (with the chap from top gear). hopefully I can post some
09-02-2016, 06:05 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My primary income producing occupation is no photography, but it is a secondary occupation. I have never found the alleged shortcomings in Pentax AF to be a problem in shooting dance, the primary action assignment I get. For portraits or weddings, half the time manual focus would not have me skip a beat. Sports and wildlife are the only areas where I have had issues at all. Even then, I don't know how much differently I'd feel about some other brand. This AF issue seems less important for the subjects people hire pros most often for than other areas.
09-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #19
Site Supporter

You do make a great point about support. I guess I never thought about it since I haven't had any major equipment malfunction yet (knock on wood).

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

I'd say that being a "professional" brand has little to do with the quality of the gear (and nothing at all to do with AF!) and everything to do with the support organisation. How quickly can you get replacement bodies or lenses if something breaks?

There is no doubt that Pentax makes tools that deliver top quality images, no need to worry about that. What is lacking (still) is the support.

Then again, Pentax bodies are cheap. Even the 645Z is cheap if you consider the alternatives. You can pretty much buy 3 for the price of 2 (or less) and have good redundancy.

09-03-2016, 03:01 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

The best insurance is to have part of your gear twice. if you have 2 bodies and at least a backup lens or 2 you should be fine. If you are a pro and can't afford 2000 in backup that you can deduce from your taxes, not only you may be quite limited on day to day shooting (for example many wedding photographers have 2 bodies with 2 lenses at their fingertips) but it also mean you are not make lot of money...

Many shoot in teams or work for an agency that will have spare gear anyway.

And honestly if you just go to a brick and mortar shop at hopening ours, you should be able to get a new one instantly by giving the money. I don't see how this would be any slower than the insurance as you don't even have to provide any justification or whatever.