Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2016, 10:00 PM - 12 Likes   #1

Pentax K1 for Professional Use?

A few weeks as a new Pentaxian (who would have thought) and Im fairly happy and so are my clients. The autofocus fuss scared me but my K1 is very accurate and the speed is plenty adequate for my uses (people/portraits). It handles really well and I love how the buttons are set up including the the customizable third dial. Im going to try some video with it this week and see if how it holds up as well. Ill report back as I continue to use and learn the ins and outs.

First shot is from the 77mm limited and the other two are shot with the 24-70mm 2.8. (small files)

Attached Images

08-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great stuff!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-06-2016, 11:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice !
08-07-2016, 02:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Really nice shots! And welcome to the Pentax community!
Good to see a thread like this. As it often happens on these internet forums, this fuss about Pentax AF has been totally blown out of proportion.

08-07-2016, 03:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Lovely photos!

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
Good to see a thread like this. As it often happens on these internet forums, this fuss about Pentax AF has been totally blown out of proportion.
Indeed! I actually had a friend who owns an entry level dslr or another brand comment on the fast AF speed of my K50!
I'm sure the K-1 is faster, but I still haven't mounted an AF lens to try it
08-07-2016, 06:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lifeofdavid Quote
A few weeks as a new Pentaxian (who would have thought) and Im fairly happy and so are my clients. The autofocus fuss scared me but my K1 is very accurate and the speed is plenty adequate for my uses (people/portraits). It handles really well and I love how the buttons are set up including the the customizable third dial. Im going to try some video with it this week and see if how it holds up as well. Ill report back as I continue to use and learn the ins and outs.

First shot is from the 77mm limited and the other two are shot with the 24-70mm 2.8. (small files)
Yes the K-1 renders professional quality images. Very nice work!
08-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #7

Congrads on your new k1! I would really love to know how well the AF performs and it's accuracy in very low light. I want to purchase a k1 and 43mm 1.9 for a walk-around lens for street and night photography. None of the reviews I've read really talk about it.

08-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice!!
08-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Exquisite, but of course your post processing has a lot to do with it. I would definitely love it if you could share a bit about how you work your files. Unless it's a secret of course
08-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #10
Forum Member

I've shot with pentax professionally for the last 18 months. I only shoot glamour/portrait. for studio work I never had issues with my k50. was waiting to see if the amount of work would justify more expensive bodies and lenses.

since getting that 3rd dial on my k1 I really miss it now on my k3 (which I picked up 2nd hand just before getting the k1). only ever set it to ISO or WIFI but it's fantastic.

having shot with a canon 5dmk3 this last year... sometimes the AF is just amazingly quick but sometimes off. other times it's about the same as my k50. I'd rather stick with the pentax AF, plus for the shoots I do it's more than fine.

on a side note was chatting to a chap yesterday who used to work for "Top Gear" here in romania and now presents another car show and told me much he liked the photos I shot with a few models last week and the colour+skin tones. so much so that he asked me to shoot some models with a car they'll have next week, the day before they film their tv show...

so yep, pentax is better than great for professional work imho
08-25-2016, 10:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zestoi Quote
since getting that 3rd dial on my k1 I really miss it now on my k3 (which I picked up 2nd hand just before getting the k1). only ever set it to ISO or WIFI but it's fantastic.
Very likely you already know But in Av or Tv more on your K3, you can select the second wheel to do what you want... including controlling the isos !
08-25-2016, 10:52 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Very likely you already know But in Av or Tv more on your K3, you can select the second wheel to do what you want... including controlling the isos !
true, but I only ever shoot in manual. just because of how/where I shoot. so that 3rd wheel is awesome

edit: could also just because I'm oldschool (a nice way of saying I'm old lol) and like having the front and rear dials assigned to aperture and shutter speed. either way having an ISO dial too is just fantastic...

Last edited by zestoi; 08-25-2016 at 10:58 PM.
08-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lifeofdavid Quote

have you tried a fashion style shoot where either the subject is walking or you are backing up with the subject? if so how does the K1 fair?

Thanks

Randy
09-01-2016, 05:09 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by zestoi Quote
I've shot with pentax professionally for the last 18 months. I only shoot glamour/portrait. for studio work I never had issues with my k50. was waiting to see if the amount of work would justify more expensive bodies and lenses.

having shot with a canon 5dmk3 this last year... sometimes the AF is just amazingly quick but sometimes off. other times it's about the same as my k50. I'd rather stick with the pentax AF, plus for the shoots I do it's more than fine.

on a side note was chatting to a chap yesterday who used to work for "Top Gear" here in romania and now presents another car show and told me much he liked the photos I shot with a few models last week and the colour+skin tones. so much so that he asked me to shoot some models with a car they'll have next week, the day before they film their tv show...

so yep, pentax is better than great for professional work imho

Any chance we can see your work?
09-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I can never figure out why some people don't consider Pentax dslrs as capable professional tools. Even when I had my k100, I was able to create quality work with it. The K3 has been my work horse for the past 2 years and I never see myself as a lesser photographer because of it. To the OP: keep shooting and keep making your clients happy.