Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2016, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

K-1 HDR Settings Question

I have never done HDR in either post or in camera. I would like to try the in camera HDR in my new K-1. There are five settings in menu 3 for the HDR function (in addition to off), Auto, 1,2,3, and ADV and I can't find any explanation or definitions of these in the operating manual. Any help in understanding these would be appreciated. Also, is there any reason not to use the auto align setting (landscape scene on a tripod)? Thanks.

Last edited by wanderer2; 08-07-2016 at 11:26 AM.
08-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The auto-align is useful when shooting handheld, the camera will align the three bracketed shots even when shooting RAW. The Auto mode is a kind of exposure fusion rather than tone mapping of HDR, in Auto mode, my experience is that you get realistic looking photos and gain about one additional stop of dynamic range (protection the high lights). If you select extended dynamic range and HDR Auto, you then gain about two stops of dynamic range for the high lights. Regarding HDR Auto, 1,2,3, ADV, if you shoot RAW, you can later on select one of them or simply not use HDR at all in which case the camera will discard the bracketed shots and keep the normally expose one as in single shot mode. Note that the final rendering of the HDR shot is also modified by white balance etc..If you shoot RAW+Extended DR+HDR (regardless which one you select), you then have the full freedom in RAW to JPEG conversion to discard HR, or select a set of HDR that you prefer. The downside of HDR shooting ifor landscape is that it takes mode space on your SD cards, as every RAW HDR actually contains 3 RAW files.
08-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have two basic choices. The first is to use the in-camera feature as detailed above by biz-engineer. If shot as JPEG, the camera will do the merge. If recorded as a RAW file, the HDR merge must be done using the Pentax Digital Camera Utility that came with your camera.

The second option is to do HDR from a series of bracketed exposures and do the merge in software as part of post-processing. I use a free product called HDRMerge. Current versions of Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom also provide the ability to do HDR from a series of bracketed exposures.

Steve
08-07-2016, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
I have never done HDR in either post or in camera. I would like to try the in camera HDR in my new K-1. There are five settings in menu 3 for the HDR function (in addition to off), Auto, 1,2,3, and ADV and I can't find any explanation or definitions of these in the operating manual. Any help in understanding these would be appreciated. Also, is there any reason not to use the auto align setting (landscape scene on a tripod)? Thanks.
For in-camera JPEGs, HDR 1 is the weakest and HDR 3 is the strongest. Auto picks one of the three, usually HDR 2 (not sure what it's based on). On top of this, you also get to choose the EV spread in the menu.

Advanced HDR is essentially HDR 2 with an additional boost to contrast and saturation. See an example at the bottom of this page:
Pentax K-1 Review - General Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Or in the middle of this page, which compares a JPEG HDR to a standard RAW with a strong shadow/highlight boost:
Pentax K-S2 Review - General Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've found that ADV mode creates a very abstract look, like a hand-colored lithograph from 100 years ago. Highlights, for example, look like they were burned down in a darkroom by someone told to allow nothing to be blown out. Sometimes it works, other times it is frankly horrible...

The other modes are much more subtle and conventional, though, with varying levels of effect.

Oddly, so far I've only really used the ADV setting as I wanted the gimmicky look for a few things.

-Eric
08-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The information from all of you is very helpful, thank you all very much. I should have stated in my original post I am shooting in raw, although, at least in the beginning of my K-1 experience, I'm shooting raw on one SD card, jpg on the other. I'm also trying pixel shift and had to buy a couple of large capacity cards - this camera can produce some really huge files, especially in pixel shift and also HDR it seems.

The landscape IQ and resolution with this camera is spectacular! I'm so glad I bought one - worth every penny and more, even with having to buy all new glass. And this forum is a gold mine of useful information, I'm so glad it's here. It's makes the transfer to Pentax much easier. Thanks again.
02-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1 HDR Clarification & Question

Biz-Engineer

So, assuming RAW and E-DN, bracketing determines the theoretical dynamicrange of the merged images and the capture type determines the degree to whichthe DN (highlights and shadows) is incorporated into the “base” (1st)image [if select HDR 1 à 3]. E.g., Bracketing+/- 3: Image 1 EV 0, Image 2 EV –3; Image 3 EV +3. HDR1 least à HDR3 most DN. AUTO disregards user bracketing values anduses EV +/-2 in the camera’s algorithm? ADV???? Am I correct here??

Also, in PS (CC) and LR (CC) the raw HDR image appears already merged? But if load using Pentax DCU you have the option, IF converting RAW to JPEG, to select HDR (1 - 3) amount???

Thank you. Glospreys (Greg)

02-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Obviously, HDR is a matter of personal preference, but I've found both Adv and 3 look a little too artificial for my liking. But 1 can be helpful in some cases, though the K-1 has such good dynamic range, particularly with bringing details up out of shadows, I often don't bother with HDR. I'll just underexpose a little and adjust in Lightroom in post.
02-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not really used the HDR mode in the camera on the K1. I find that the detail captured by the raw files to be very capable of being brought out in pp from a single raw capture with decent software. Obviously extreme DR pictures would benefit from multiple captures and appropriate processing.

I use Silkypix DS Pro 7.0 It has a great HDR mode which can be used to brighten the dark areas (dodge) or darken the bright areas (burn), or do both at the same time (HDR).

Here is an example of a single raw capture converted to 3 jpegs.

The first image shows my default processing parameters applied - The sky is blowing out and the fields and house are too dark.
The second image is with exposure reduced by half a stop. The sky looks better, but of course the rest is even darker.
The last image is with Silkypix HDR applied (Dodge and Burn) at 60%.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo