Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2016, 03:31 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Fuji Colour profiles on a K1

Disclaimer ..... Colour is a very subjective and personal thing ....so you may not agree with some of below it's my view...sorry and about typos and the length of this

Ok so i do love the K1 its a great camera but since day one i have had issue with it,s colour, i have been using fuji camera for years x100,x70 xpro 1 ..so i have been spoiled a bit

if you shot a jpeg with one of these camera its pretty gorgeous straight of the bat no work required this is due to the use of fuji,s in built film emulation Velvia,astia etc

however after a lot of testing a fiddling i can,t get anything close to that,a with jpeg out of the K1 camera bright ,natural tweaking the setting etc...so i sort of gave up

i shoot raw most of the time any way, so if you bring in a fuji RAF file to light room and drop the correct colour profile on it say Velvia ...pop..... your there and everything looks great to start to work on it ....but you can,t use these profiles on any other camera type.

if you bring the Penatx dng in to light room you get some profiles, camera bright ,landscape ...etc .....however back to square one for me ... these are the same as the camera would apply to the jpg ...so again i,m not happy with the colour and i have to do a good bit of work to get the colour how i want them ....even then it's not 100% how i want it

So i moved over fully to capture one a while back as i,m from a background of video and film , it feels much closer with some of the colour correction tools like Davinci resolve i use

however things are worse in capture one, if you bring in a Pentax K1 DNG in, you get a generic profile with is pretty grim and there is a fair bit of work to do to get it right or nice

I was beginning to dispair a bit with this, as with each shoot i was going to have to do a fair bit of fiddling with the image to get what i wanted ..which is much more a filmic look...as thats the world i work in

so The dream would be fuji colour camera profiles that work on a Pentax k1 DNG

I start to search and work out how to emulate those fuji colour profiles ....well it looks like i wasn,t alone ...people where try to put it on nikons and canon raws... the fuji colour thing is quite big

and then i found it...... some utter genius has managed to reverse engineer the colour profile for the fuji film simulations including ARCO from the xpro2 so you can use them in capture one on your raws

the profiles can be download here ( these are the best versions pulled from the xpro2) if you scroll down the arco one is there as well

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4025876#forum-post-58018479

and the discussion on how to install them are here.... going from the most resent page ( this is capture one only and you need 9.2)

Capture One Pro 8 Film Simulations - Page 5 - RAW conversion Fuji X-Trans Sensor - Fuji X Forum

if you get it to work correctly instead of just the generic K1 in profile in capture one you will get the drop down for the ARGB and the SRGB version of the film emulations....and it will bring you very very close to the start point i was used to shooting on a fuji

so i,m blown away it's like have a full frame fuji camera ......that may erk some people here but sorry

obviously colour is a very personal thing ..but the thing for me is fuji make film..... Canon,nikon and Pentax have never produced a roll of film in there history as far as i know ....so when it comes to the colours with film ,fuji know more about it

any way i hope thats of some use to somebody ....i,m over the moon Ha!

your milage may vary

08-08-2016, 03:37 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

But the free NIK tools have them too, in Color Efex Pro.

I use the Provia 100 a bit.
08-08-2016, 04:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But the free NIK tools have them too, in Color Efex Pro.

I use the Provia 100 a bit.
However thats too far down the colour chain if your bring in a raw to say lightroom the camera profile is attached ,say adobe standard , camera bright etc which is needed for basic debayering everything after that will carry over into efex pro which if you launch from lightroom will create a tiff version of your file created from adobe standard then the plugin with use that as the representation of the colour from the camera

Efex pro as far as i know is not a camera debayer/raw convert so it uses what ever lightroom has debayer the image at

working directly on the Raw/Debayering is the first step the colour chain ...every thing else is a filter on a debayered image

so going thru ACR in photoshop you have to assign the image a camera profile for the debayer ....then everything after that is stacked on top of that representation.

these profiles debayer the image using the Fuji colour film emulations ..which is very clever and you can change them for your own cameras.... people are using then with nikon raw,sony raw etc

the arcos emulation is amazing for B/W

---------- Post added 08-08-16 at 05:08 AM ----------

Just as an update to show you want i,m talking about .....go here

GNUGENT - K1

the first image is what comes out of a pentax k1 and you see in capture one with K1 Generic profile and film standard set......which to my eyes is terrible look at the red in skin

i have labeled the other profiles so you can see what the emulations look like ....nothing else has been done to these images just loaded in, profile applied then saved back out as jpg
08-08-2016, 05:19 AM   #4
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
did you test those skin filters came with the K-1? There two different to directly use with the K-1. Look in the menue for Skintone Correction. You have to activate facedetection first to get access.

08-08-2016, 05:22 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I quite like the emulations of the film, Gnugent, but am not interested in emulating the X series.

Others might, though.

A Fujifilm owner in this forum the other day didn't care for the greens or details in foliage.
08-08-2016, 05:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can these .icc profiles be used in lightroom? Also, are they compatible with the K-5iis?
08-08-2016, 05:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
Can these .icc profiles be used in lightroom? Also, are they compatible with the K-5iis?
Not tried this in lightroom i,m sure there is way if you dig inside the package contents on a mac but some one might have mention it in that thread but people have been using them on every type of camera

as for the skin tones this is just one example the colour looks a bit wonking ( to me that is across a broad range of subjects ) yes i did play with those and do test shots , fiddled and fiddled to the point where i picked up my XPRO again and started to take that out ...as the last thing i wanted to do is make work for myself.

the problem i have is the last thing i want to do is take a great picture of my kid then sit at home for a hour and grade it to make it look how i want it, that is after maybe spend most of the day grading a television commercial .

i want something more immediate and pleasing to my eye ....which i now have ...so that wong guy over on dpreview ...is my new hero

just to add none of this in pentax,s fault the camera is great its just the camera profiles in lightroom and capture one ..just don,t do whats coming off the sensor any level of justice without a fair bit of tweaking...in my view

Last edited by gnugent; 08-08-2016 at 06:14 AM.
08-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DXO Filmpak for me.
08-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
DXO Filmpak for me.
DXO is again after the colour profile has been determined ...but as i said at the beginning this all a matter of taste ...i love look fuji's get straight out of camera so i,m happy i use it as a starting point for everything.
08-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I shoot real 100ACR (Arcos). What is it about Fuji's digital approximation that you find amazing? Could you spot the difference between it and, say, 400TMY in a real BW image?
08-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
Pentaxian

gnugent are you sure about your explanation about where in the pipeline the profile is added ? As far as I know profiles are always added after debayering but on high bitdepth data. As long as your 16bit tiff is developed without a applied curve you should have the same result.
08-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I shoot real 100ACR (Arcos). What is it about Fuji's digital approximation that you find amazing? Could you spot the difference between it and, say, 400TMY in a real BW image?
tuco its an emulation and quite like it how if your shooting on actual B/W film its not going to compare is it really, i shoot Vision 3 5219 cinestill in my film camera but i can,t grade in davinci resolve and get the same shot to look like 5219 from a digital camera ....close but not quite the same thing.

---------- Post added 08-08-16 at 12:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
gnugent are you sure about your explanation about where in the pipeline the profile is added ? As far as I know profiles are always added after debayering but on high bitdepth data. As long as your 16bit tiff is developed without a applied curve you should have the same result.
there is a really quick explanation here from stu at prolost

Raw is Not Magic ? Prolost "Straight Out of the Camera” Raw is a Myth" but the whole thing is pretty good read

i you want to dive in deep as to whats happening this is a bit old but spot on

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/billcrow/2007/10/25/hdr-and-color-spaces/

Last edited by gnugent; 08-08-2016 at 12:29 PM.
08-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #13
Unregistered User

In lightroom, the latest, you have the Bright, Landscape and so on to choose from in the camera calibration. Not just the really flat Generic one.
08-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
In lightroom, the latest, you have the Bright, Landscape and so on to choose from in the camera calibration. Not just the really flat Generic one.
OK I guess not all raw developers make linear workflow possible.
08-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gnugent Quote

working directly on the Raw/Debayering is the first step the colour chain ...every thing else is a filter on a debayered image
Are you sure these icc profiles do that, though, Gnugent?

I've always understood them to be simple colour maps - they don't do any demosaicing at all!