Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2016, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pixel Shift single image extraction from RAW using Fast Stone Image Viewer

I know that many of you have solutions for extracting all four images from a Pixel Shift RAW file.

This is a quick and simple way to extract a single image. I also show one mistake I made so you might avoid it.

Pixel shift is awesome for macro photography when everything aligns correctly. But bugs and other tiny
subjects don't sit still that often, and the problem is compounded when they are in groups, and the shutter
speed is slow, as you will note below:

on Flickr

The key for working with one of the four images contained in a Pixel Shift RAW file is to
make the following change under the Faststone Image Viewer settings:

on Flickr

This is a simple crop saved as a JPG after reloading the PS RAW following the change made above.
The colors are flat and desaturated, and the motion blur is distracting, but gets rid of the PS artifacts:

on Flickr

If you save the file as a tif using CMYK or YCbCr, the result seems the same. Note that I don't have a
color corrected monitor to make precise comparisons. You may need to change tif options for best
results for your file:

on Flickr

If the file is saved as tif using the CIELab option, this is the result. Still needs editing.

on Flickr

I did my edits, and saved as tif again. OOPs! Forgot to change the option from CIELab:

on Flickr

Here is the edited result if saved as tif using the CMYK option or as JPG:

on Flickr

Please note that this is a quick edit for demonstrations purposes!

Hope it is helpful for others.

08-15-2016, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can also extract a single frame in the Pentax digital camera utility software, by unchecking the pixel shift option. While simpler I think their JPEG algorithm eats away details in the image.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can also extract a single frame in the Pentax digital camera utility software, by unchecking the pixel shift option. While simpler I think their JPEG algorithm eats away details in the image.
I looked for that option and could not find it previously. I did find it after you mentioned it. It has the added benefit that you can save in 16bit tiff to work elsewhere if you don't like the PDCU5 interface. I do not know if Faststone Image Viewer saves 16bit.
08-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
I looked for that option and could not find it previously. I did find it after you mentioned it. It has the added benefit that you can save in 16bit tiff to work elsewhere if you don't like the PDCU5 interface. I do not know if Faststone Image Viewer saves 16bit.
Yeah, but even then the software will apply the Pentax processing algorithm, which is sub-optimal as far as detail and noise is concerned.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: