Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2016, 09:07 PM   #1

Is this sound normal?

First, apologies if this belongs in the K-1 Bugs or Quality Control Issues thread.

I've been wondering for some time if this is normal, but even more so after having just spent nearly 2000$ (Canadian) on the D FA 24-70 f2.8 on Monday!

I had noticed this issue shortly after getting my K-1 and using the 35mm DA L F2.4 AL and, in talking with another local pentaxian with the K-1, i don't think he had this issue with his. Well, now with the 24-70 f2.8, i have it too.

In auto-focus only and in Manual mode (easiest way to repro the issue) when the aperture is changed using the wheel on the camera, a loud sound is heard from somewhere inside. clearly a mechanical sound and it happens with every change in stop, up or down. If this is normal, let me know, otherwise i will happily produce a videoclip to share with you! I understand if this is simply the sound of the blades opening and closing, but with a lens AF as quiet as the one on this lens, i'd be surprised if this was really normal.

This is one of many small issues that make me doubt the quality of my unit and would love to put this matter to rest.

Thank you!

08-16-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eliphas Quote
First, apologies if this belongs in the K-1 Bugs or Quality Control Issues thread.

I've been wondering for some time if this is normal, but even more so after having just spent nearly 2000$ (Canadian) on the D FA 24-70 f2.8 on Monday!

I had noticed this issue shortly after getting my K-1 and using the 35mm DA L F2.4 AL and, in talking with another local pentaxian with the K-1, i don't think he had this issue with his. Well, now with the 24-70 f2.8, i have it too.

In auto-focus only and in Manual mode (easiest way to repro the issue) when the aperture is changed using the wheel on the camera, a loud sound is heard from somewhere inside. clearly a mechanical sound and it happens with every change in stop, up or down. If this is normal, let me know, otherwise i will happily produce a videoclip to share with you! I understand if this is simply the sound of the blades opening and closing, but with a lens AF as quiet as the one on this lens, i'd be surprised if this was really normal.

This is one of many small issues that make me doubt the quality of my unit and would love to put this matter to rest.

Thank you!
What type of image preview do you use? Page 55 in manual. I think the sound (aperture blade movement) is related to preview method you did choose.
08-16-2016, 10:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sounds to me like the normal sound of the shake reduction. Esp if you are hearing it with all lenses.

The subject of 1,000 worried threads from new Pentax users, going back for years.
08-16-2016, 11:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eliphas Quote

Thank you!
It's normal. The K-01 is an annoyingly noisy camera. You will also notice that a similar sound will be produced when you point the camera at a brighter or darker light source, the aperture blades will adjust and result in a similar sound.
It's awful and caused me to dislike the K-01 fairly soon after I bought it. What I used to do was press the AEL button until I was ready to re shoot.
I no longer have a K-01.

08-17-2016, 12:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

WTH!?
08-17-2016, 01:14 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, that's normal. I get it too. It's the aperture actuator, which is pretty loud on the K-1.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-17-2016, 05:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, sincerely, for chiming in guys!

I'll still make a video later in the day for those that have no idea what we're taking about.

08-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I only get a soft clicking noise like from a mechanical clock when changing aperture in M mode in Liveview. No other modes on the dial, not in using the viewfinder. And that is the aperture lever.
08-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
Unregistered User

Only in Live view there is a soft click.