Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2016, 04:47 AM   #1

Buildable Flash System for the K-1

Hopefully this thread will be useful for everyone new to Pentax, or new to the K-1, or new to photography.

I'll be ordering my K-1 in the next week or so, and am just trying to figure out what my starter kit will be. Over time, of course, I'll want to buy all kinds of gear, but for those of us for whom money IS an object, we have to set our sights somewhere realistic to begin with.

Having decided on the body and lenses, I've come to flash. Right now I just need recommendations for my first flashgun to use on-camera with the K-1, but this thread could be much more useful than that.

So it would be great if you knowledgeable folks could outline some kind of ideal-world incremental model as a reference point. Let's assume budget is an issue, so pitch it somewhere middle-ish, maybe offer a proprietary and 3rd-party option at each stage.

This is the sort of thing I'm thinking, assuming the user will start off using just one flashgun and gradually build kit as they earn and learn:

1. One flashgun (with both TTL and manual modes, to keep this simpler), to be used mostly on-camera, but which will later work with in combination with a number of flashguns
2. Accessories for the single flash, eg modifiers, rotating brackets, wireless transceivers
3. Secondary flash (that will talk to the first one)
4. Accessories for multiple flash use
5. Tertiary flash (that will talk to the first and second)
6. Etc.

08-20-2016, 05:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This was discussed, in part, in a recent thread.
08-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is also mgregnis flash guide: Comprehensive Pentax P-TTL Flash Guide Updated - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
08-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks both. I'd found mgregnis' flash guide, though for some reason hadn't seen the thread linked to by Paul the Sunman when I'd searched before posting.

Most of the information in the original post can be found in those other places, and so at least newcomers who find this short thread will have a handy signpost of sorts.