Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2016, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #1

Satisfied with K-1's AF-C performance

TAv mode, F4.0, 1/400 shutter, DA* 300 AF-C
No intention to smash DPReview's marks, but K-1's AF-C capability in capturing this little swift toy aircraft is satisfactory!
Pictures only cropped and shrunk.
Center image is sharp enough for DA* 300 even when wide open.

08-20-2016, 08:49 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
nothing here shows a sequence of AF-C shots. These are cherry picked shots that happen to be in focus.
08-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
nothing here shows a sequence of AF-C shots. These are cherry picked shots that happen to be in focus.
At least there was something good to cherry pick here! According to DPR one would think nothing would be salvageable.

Nice!
08-20-2016, 10:13 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a Ford GT being tested at a secret location in the English midlands by the team which won Le Mans two weeks previously. Very fast indeed. Unfortunately it caught fire at Nuremberg a week or two after this

Shot in fading light with the hopeless K-1 and the notoriously slow DA55-300 (wide open @ 300mm). Not taken on burst, but AF-C using the back button held down and single shots all on the same pass. No cherry-picking

Click on the images to see them at higher magnification.

Ford 6

Ford 7

Ford 8

Ford 9

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 08-20-2016 at 10:23 PM.
08-20-2016, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

The results in the OP are impressive IMHO, but interestingly, the EXIF (all three examples) is worth considering:
  • AF-C, release priority
  • AF area, select
  • AF points in focus, none
  • AF point selected (unknown)
While it is likely that the AF system was actively, none of the photos were taken when the system had attained focus.

Steve
08-20-2016, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Yep, Sandy, hopeless K-1, notoriously slow DA55-300, I guess you just got lucky.
08-20-2016, 10:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This is a Ford GT being tested at a secret location in the English midlands by the team which won Le Mans two weeks previously. Very fast indeed. Unfortunately it caught fire at Nuremberg a week or two after this

Shot in fading light with the hopeless K-1 and the notoriously slow DA55-300 (wide open @ 300mm). Not taken on burst, but AF-C using the back button held down and single shots all on the same pass. No cherry-picking

Click on the images to see them at higher magnification.

Ford 6

Ford 7

Ford 8

Ford 9
Those are very cool, particularly since they were done with a screw-drive lens. Ford 7 locked focus on the pavement several meters in front of the car, but the focus of the other shots is quite good.

Steve
08-20-2016, 10:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I just checked. The car which caught fire was No. 67, so not this one!

08-21-2016, 12:11 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The results in the OP are impressive IMHO, but interestingly, the EXIF (all three examples) is worth considering:
  • AF-C, release priority
  • AF area, select
  • AF points in focus, none
  • AF point selected (unknown)
While it is likely that the AF system was actively, none of the photos were taken when the system had attained focus.

Steve
Using the last version of ExifTool (the one that knows how to decode AF information) I get slightly different results.
All three photo have
Focus Mode : AF-C (Release-priority)
AF Point Selected : Center; Single Point
AF Points Selected : 17
but only the first photo has:
AF Points In Focus :
The second and third photos have:
AF Points In Focus : 17
which means that the K-1 knew that the center point was in focus.
08-21-2016, 02:48 AM - 4 Likes   #10
Site Supporter

K-1 is not in the big boys league, but the AF is better then people think. Im working in harder conditions then most people, and I dont struggle.

Learn to use your tools instead of complaining, and you'll be surprised.
08-21-2016, 04:03 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Your message is useless! You should at least give recommendations or return of experience.

For example, for the type of photo showed by the OP, would you recommend the same setting (AF-C with release-priority, single center AF point)? Would it depend on the lens?
Personally, and because I am not very good at following a target, I would have chosen a group of 9 AF points around the center point. And I use AF-C with focus-priority, but I am thinking to change to release-priority, based on report from various users.
08-21-2016, 04:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ptitboul Quote
Your message is useless! You should at least give recommendations or return of experience.
I have done more then once! Not my fault that you missed it.

For example, for the type of photo showed by the OP, would you recommend the same setting (AF-C with release-priority, single center AF point)? Would it depend on the lens?
Personally, and because I am not very good at following a target, I would have chosen a group of 9 AF points around the center point. And I use AF-C with focus-priority, but I am thinking to change to release-priority, based on report from various users.
If you are not good at something, learn to be better. Logic isn't it? But since its you, i can give you my best settings for freeze movement: Spot metering, Singel point focus with focus priority
08-21-2016, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #13
Lens Buying Addict

K-1 Tracking AF.C is competent for the majority of motion capture uses when the camera is properly set up and the user actively participates in the photography.*

* :brap: Photographing small, active children, however, requires a cutting-edge tool and professional-caliber skill.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-21-2016 at 05:05 AM.
08-21-2016, 06:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
K-1 is not in the big boys league, but the AF is better then people think. Im working in harder conditions then most people, and I dont struggle.

I 100% agree. A poor carpenter blames his tools.

I remember spending about two months with manual film cameras last year. At the end of it I thought how lucky we are to have af on modern cameras, and how lazy it can make you.
08-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter

The experience of a full-time working professional who shoots live heavy metal gigs for a living is not going to be very helpful to a soccer mum shooting in Green Mode with the kit lens. And no, I'm not necessarily putting you in that category, it's just an example

In the digital age, experimentation costs basically nothing. Read the manual. Familiarise yourself with your camera's controls. Shoot heaps of stuff. Look critically at the results and work at remedying the deficiencies which caused the failures. With a K-1 and a decent lens, 99% of the time the problem will not be the equipment.