Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Wise Counsel

Thoughts and advice required please... as the more I've read up on this subject the more difficult the decision has become.

The choice seems to be endless and complexity levels abound... also preferably not a system made of gold, as some of the pricing might suggest.

Simply put... I'm looking for a quick release Arca-Swiss style system (using a screw knob, not a lever clamp) to mount K1 with grip fitted plus "Ladies", onto ball socket tripod head (like the one acquired today, see link below), without the camera turning or sliding about once mounted.

Benbo Professional Medium Ball & Socket Head reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

08-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #2
Forum Member

i went with really right stuff. I have had there system for over 6 years and never had a problem. I also love to use their L-bracket as I do a lot of panoramas and its convenient to turn the camera without a lot of hassle.
RRS - Clamps
08-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the one I am using on the K-1: Universal Arca Plate | Breakthrough Photography

The Markins plates I had used on all previous cameras would not fit. Markins promised they were working on one for the K-1 but as of today it is still not listed. I got the Breakthrough one to tide me over and it has worked just fine.
08-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
This is the one I am using on the K-1: Universal Arca Plate | Breakthrough Photography
Oh snap, that looks nice, and the price is pretty great. I just bought a Mefoto tripod and the bolt that runs through the plate that screws into the bottom of my camera isn't a tool-less type like that one. I have to use an allen wrench or a coin to tighten the bolt which is just stupid. I'll have to give this a shot soon.

08-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #5

FWIW I have been using Black Rapid Tripod Plate for a while. Remove the strap and the plate is ready to mount. You do have to get used to using that sort of strap setup but I like it. On its own it is fairly small and light.

08-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
also preferably not a system made of gold

So it's not only the Lowlanders that will squeeze a groat till it squeals?

At any rate, you might want to check out Acratech's Universal L-bracket--that way you could just keep a single plate on your K-1 when you're hand-held, but then get the functionality of a bracket when you're in portrait orientation. (And the thought of 'em beautiful ladies dangling in space when using the ballhead's portrait notch gives me pause.)

Extended Universal Camera L Bracket
08-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was thinking about Acratech ... but perhaps that is not quite what you are looking for?
Ballheads ? by Acratech, as practical as they are beautiful.
That's what I use and it is very sturdy and well manufactured ... a it pricey though.

08-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
Forum Member

Does the stud come out of your ball head? These get good reviews,but not sure how you would mount a quick release plate to your style of ball head if the stud does not come out. Most plates I've seen require a 1/4" or 3/8" hole in ball head. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMTS5XS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&p...A117K1DEQYNJIS
08-24-2016, 02:02 AM   #9
Closed Account

Hi Kerrowdown. Would this system be of help?

Manfrotto 323 RC2 quick release system reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
08-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Kerrowdown. Would this system be of help?
Many thanks, got this system on order now together with Manfrotto Monopod Tilt Head with Quick Release, as I already use Manfrotto bits and pieces it keeps life simple.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-24-2016 at 01:54 PM.
08-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sas8888 Quote
i went with really right stuff
Thanks for the link, gone with the Manfrotto system just now to see how I get on with it.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-24-2016 at 01:39 PM.
08-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
This is the one I am using on the K-1
Thanks for that... I'm going to give the Manfrotto system a bash just now.
08-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveD Quote
I have been using Black Rapid Tripod Plate for a while
Thanks for your reply, I'm going to give the Manfrotto system a try first.
08-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
So it's not only the Lowlanders that will squeeze a groat till it squeals?
I really couldn't comment further on that...
08-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
but perhaps that is not quite what you are looking for?
Thanks for replying, I really just need to the quick release plate mechanism, so I'm going to try the Manfrotto system.