Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2016, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #1

K-1 clock time resets itself

I've been having this issue with the K-1 for ages now, basically since I got it. I am in PST and the time keeps on setting itself to one hour ago. The situation basically is that I'll pick up the camera at the start of a shoot and check the time. If it's 4pm now the clock will say 3pm. I sigh, go into the menu, adjust the time, set it to 4pm, save settings, menu to exit. Shoot shoot shoot.

Next day, pick up camera at 11am and check the time, and it's now 10am. Change time, repeat, etc.

A few things I've done:

- My local and travel time are both set to PST (Vancouver)
- I've been unable to figure out exactly when it resets. I can turn the camera off and on and the time stays accurate, same with taking the battery out and putting it back in. I've had it reset in the middle of a shoot as well, I don't remember what I did at that time other than maybe going into the menu for some unrelated reason
- I'm definitely hitting 'save settings' after setting the time.
- I haven't noticed if the minutes are affected
- I haven't seen it reset after putting a different (or the same) memory card out and in.

This is getting *very* frustrating and annoying. It's always exactly one hour like it was a DST setting that keeps on changing (I have DST off and it isn't resetting) and the date and time are unaffected.

Is anyone else having this? Should I look at a replacement? I emailed Pentax through their support form but got no reply

08-23-2016, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
British Columbia is presently on DST, is it not? Some thoughts:

In Wrench | 1 | World Time | Time Settings | Home, enable DST and set the correct PDTime.
In Wrench | 2 | GPS / E-Compass de-select | GPS Time Sync.
In Wrench | 1 | World Time | Time Settings ensure you have selected Home, not Destination as your location.

If you are using Wi-Fi and Image Sync or tethering ensure your remote device is not syncing the camera time.

Do you have a partner who is messing with your mind?

Last edited by monochrome; 08-23-2016 at 05:38 PM.
08-23-2016, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
a5m
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arcterex Quote
I've been having this issue with the K-1 for ages now...
Exaggerate much?
08-23-2016, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The time sync option could definitely be missing things up if your DST setting is incorrect.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-24-2016, 01:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there an auto adjust for daylight saving option somewhere in the K-1 menu? That would presumably interact with any gps time syncing. The GPS no doubt provides a UTC (Greenwich) time that the camera then applies a time zone adjustment to.
08-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
Holy crap I had no idea that there was a GPS time sync... that'd totally do it. Ok thanks guys, I feel like an idiot now!

And yes @a5m a bit of an exaggeration, though it does *feel* like ages!!
08-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
a5m
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arcterex Quote
Holy crap I had no idea that there was a GPS time sync... that'd totally do it. Ok thanks guys, I feel like an idiot now!

And yes @a5m a bit of an exaggeration, though it does *feel* like ages!!
Haha no worries I understand what you mean. I just though it was funny the way you worded it.

Glad you got an answer to your question .

09-28-2016, 06:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been having the same issue. Arizona does not observe DST and it is technically on Mountain Standard Time year round. If my GPS is turned on the time gets reset, so I just leave it off unless I'm using astrotracer. It's a bit frustrating. I was hoping a firmware update might address this.
09-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is an option to select DT or not in the time zone set up screen under world time. I have been using the K-1 gps without problems in Arizona since last spring no issues with time sync.
09-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
There is an option to select DT or not in the time zone set up screen under world time. I have been using the K-1 gps without problems in Arizona since last spring no issues with time sync.
I just checked and DST is deselected under both Destination and Home Town, both of which are on Denver since they don't give Phoenix as an option (another minor bone of contention). I turned GPS back so we'll see what it does.
09-29-2016, 07:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It should work. I use GPS all the time with the time sync function and my time stays correct. Good luck.