Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2016, 02:52 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Clearly, given your own experience ("It has been spot on with no FFAs and gets a lot of use now."), it is typically the camera-lens combination that is problematic.
The K-1 came out after production of these lenses for Pentax ceased. I purchased this lens when the K5-IIs was still the flagship. Since the lens never worked properly with it or the K3 I deem that an issue with the lens. It might happen to work with my K-1, but it didn't work with the bodies it was originally designed to work for.

09-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
put it on a tripod, try +10 adjustment and -10 adjustment.
I think the difference is huge.
09-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I'm probably asking a dumb question here, but how does this adjustment affect manual focus lenses? Does it just change the behavior of the in-focus octagon? I'm asking since I'm having front focus issues with my manual lenses... but LV with peaking is spot-on.
09-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I'm probably asking a dumb question here, but how does this adjustment affect manual focus lenses? Does it just change the behavior of the in-focus octagon? I'm asking since I'm having front focus issues with my manual lenses... but LV with peaking is spot-on.

Electronic fine tuning affects autofocus only. Fine tuning for manual focusing involves adjustment of the focusing screen.

09-09-2016, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
Electronic fine tuning affects autofocus only. Fine tuning for manual focusing involves adjustment of the focusing screen.
He was asking about the influence of the AF fine adjustments on the hexagonal indicator in the viewfinder.

This has nothing to do with the focusing screen.

@jcdoss: As long as you are using the "Apply All" option, the AF fine adjustment will affect when the green hexagon in the viewfinder lights up, even for manual focus lenses.
09-09-2016, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
He was asking about the influence of the AF fine adjustments on the hexagonal indicator in the viewfinder. This has nothing to do with the focusing screen. @jcdoss: As long as you are using the "Apply All" option, the AF fine adjustment will affect when the green hexagon in the viewfinder lights up, even for manual focus lenses.

My bad. I should have read it twice before before putting the finger on the trigger. You are of course correct.
04-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Revisiting an old thread which raised some questions for me, does the K-1 have any provision for moving the sensor along the axis that goes through the lens? In other words, if a manual lens can't focus sharply at infinity can the K-1 compensate using back focus adjustment or is that just for the AF system and a lens repair job is in order for such a lens?

04-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Sensor doesn't move fore/aft- the focus adjustment is purely a function of the phase detection module. Lack of infinity focus on manual lens is a problem of the lens focus ring stop. I've never had a lens that can't reach infinity - but many focus past infinity. HTH
05-22-2018, 09:54 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
put it on a tripod, try +10 adjustment and -10 adjustment.
I think the difference is huge.
I know this is an ancient thread, and I apologize, but I have a new (well, new to me) DAL 55-300, and, while the focus is ok, I'd like to know if it could be a bit better, So, I've tried all, and I mean *all* the charts and techniques that I've been able to find, and, as far as I can tell, the micro adjustment does *nothing* on my K3 and DAL 55-300. In fact, in the past using F and FA lenses, I couldn't see much difference, if any, going from +10 to 0 to -10. I'm thinking it's possibly a firmware issue; I'm using 1.11 in an original K3. But really, I've tried using +10 and -10, (obviously only with the viewfinder), tried power cycling the camera between settings, but the difference is non-obvious, with both a flat and angled target. I seem to have a minor back focusing on most of my lenses, but the center is still in focus, as far as I can tell. Why am I worried? Well, I shouldn't be, I suppose. It's just that other folks have indicated that changing the microfocus adjustment makes a HUGE difference, and I just don't see it, no matter how hard I try.

Last edited by asharpe; 05-23-2018 at 09:46 PM.
05-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps you are missing the final OK button when changing the focus adjustment setting? This is a common mistake.
05-22-2018, 10:30 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Perhaps you are missing the final OK button when changing the focus adjustment setting? This is a common mistake.
No, thanks, I am very careful with that. I've been a software engineer for 40 years, so I am very OCD about following procedures. . At any rate, I just updated the firmware to 1.30, and I'll try this again tomorrow. I'm a little nonplussed that nobody else has complained about the micro adjustment not doing anything, though. In fact, when I go and change the adjustment back, it shows the previous setting I saved, so I know I'm using the OK button after changing it.
05-22-2018, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
No, thanks, I am very careful with that. I've been a software engineer for 40 years, so I am very OCD about following procedures. . At any rate, I just updated the firmware to 1.30, and I'll try this again tomorrow. I'm a little nonplussed that nobody else has complained about the micro adjustment not doing anything, though. In fact, when I go and change the adjustment back, it shows the previous setting I saved, so I know I'm using the OK button after changing it.
I dont know how I can help you but it's weird because it makes a big difference to go from -10 to +10 .
I've calibrated all my lens using the DOT Tune method, did you tried this one ?

It's a rather different technique from the usual ones I was using in the past, and it's been super accurate for me.
05-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeilS Quote
Have a problem with front focusing on a Sigma 24-70mm lens. Tried to use the AF Fine Adjustment function but could see no difference. Any suggestions?

Also noticed in the tutorial on the use of 3rd party calibration tools that it is not clear whether the AF Adjustment function alters phase detect AF, contrast detect AF or both. Any thoughts?
I find FA in real life is pretty useless as the AF area for all the focus points are HUGE. For example, the center point covers the area just inside the center spot metering circle. All other AF points have similarly huge coverage. I could never have any assurance that where I point the focus indicator is where the camera is actually focusing.
05-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
I dont know how I can help you but it's weird because it makes a big difference to go from -10 to +10 .
I've calibrated all my lens using the DOT Tune method, did you tried this one ?
Ok, I'm always game to try a new technique. First, this technique is interesting, and actually demonstrated some differences in the adjustment, which no other test did (at least, not very obviously.) Second, the video is rather skewed to Canon and Nikon cameras (Pentax adjustment for the K3 only goes -10 to +10, not -20 to +20), but I understand that's a larger market. Third, it seems to work, but I found no out of focus points in any of the positive values. I did, however, find that -3 did not show focus confirmation. So, assuming that +11 (which I don't have) would have been out of focus, we get an acceptable range of -2 to +10. Midrange of +4, according to your calculator. It certainly won't hurt, and it is the first test that shows some differences, so thanks for that. I'll try +4, and although I may not see any improvement, I'll feel better about it.

Also, as a followup, I did upgrade to 1.30, with no appreciable difference.
05-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I've got a -10 to +2 on one of my lens.
I then checked with traditional method and got a -5. I went for -5 on this lens.

You will tell us if that method works for you, at least it works for me.