Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 01:02 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Better JPEGs. What's your settings?

I know it's subjective, but I want to know if any of you found tweaks in settings that come to your liking. Kindly share. Also, is there a way to get a new custom image settings, other than modifying the available ones?

---------- Post added 08-31-2016 at 01:03 PM ----------

Googling around, I found some tweaks here

08-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #2

You are asking this because, probably you want it simple,without complications.
But may I say,do dare and learn to use a PP software (easier than it sounds) and you'll gain much more from it.

You can modify the pictures to your liking, save presets if you don't want to invest time in processing each individual photo and so on.
Learning to develop your photographs from the digital negative will have a positive impact on your photos, at the end of the day.

The only jpg in camera preset that I have saved in my K-3 is this one
08-31-2016, 02:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Penumbra Quote
But may I say,do dare and learn to use a PP software (easier than it sounds) and you'll gain much more from it.

You can modify the pictures to your liking, save presets if you don't want to invest time in processing each individual photo and so on.
Learning to develop your photographs from the digital negative will have a positive impact on your photos, at the end of the day.

I agree RAW is the way to go, I can tweak it to my liking on post processing. I am just curious on why K-1 out-of-the-box JPEG gets negative points in many reviews. Also, If I understood correctly, image reviewed on the LCD is based on the JPEG version of the RAW file. If I can set it up better, it would be a better tool to evaluate my shots. Since this is just a matter of tweaking, I wonder if there is a 'recommended setting' for this.
08-31-2016, 02:50 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Penumbra Quote

For some people, PP is simply not feasible. It has nothing to do with desire and everything to do with resources.

08-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
For some people, PP is simply not feasible. It has nothi
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
For some people, PP is simply not feasible. It has nothing to do with desire and everything to do with resources.
Agreed. Although I'm shooting with a K-3, I prefer JPEG over raw. They come out looking brighter as opposed to a darker raw and the file size is much easier to deal with. Yes I tweak them on my iMac using the free photo app but it's quick, simple and effective. I just don't have the time and resources to learn adobe. Wish I did but I don't.
08-31-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turn down the JPEG sharpness and details actually look better. But overall, fine details still look way worse than in RAW.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2016, 03:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorta heading off topic.... this isn't a Raw v's Jpeg thread...... it's a share your best Jpeg in Camera settings.... maybe even post an image with them maybe?

08-31-2016, 03:51 PM   #8

On my older cameras the first thing I do is select Natural instead of Bright.
08-31-2016, 05:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I take the Bright setting and set saturation and contrast to -1, but I need to test it more to see if these feel right to me. I'm not into really 'punchy' images for the most part. Natural is another nice option.
08-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started this thread at the end of July:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/325362-who-gets-...her-times.html
In it a few people address their preferred in-camera jpg settings.
08-31-2016, 06:16 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Sorta heading off topic.... this isn't a Raw v's Jpeg thread...... it's a share your best Jpeg in Camera settings.... maybe even post an image with them maybe?
Yes, to keep on track, the settings is much appreciated, even more if you can share any image.

---------- Post added 08-31-2016 at 06:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I started this thread at the end of July:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/325362-who-gets-...her-times.html
In it a few people address their preferred in-camera jpg settings.
Great thread, thanks!
09-01-2016, 05:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jpeg file size

Off topic but how do I adjust the jpeg file size on a K3 II? I want to make 12MG jpegs
09-01-2016, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
Off topic but how do I adjust the jpeg file size on a K3 II? I want to make 12MG jpegs
See manual page 37. Set recorded pixel to L, M, S, or XS. Not sure which one would make it to 12MB.